DVDVR Message Board

Ligerbusa

I watched the first one again last night. Is it possible that in the original timeline before Reese ever travelled back that one of the other Sarah Connors was John Connor's mother, and it was a case of mistaken identity? I know I'm just trying to explain away a paradox, but it's been a long time since I've watched it and that hadn't occurred to me before.

I've always viewed Reese going back as the original timeline because that's what the movies show us. It not only gives birth to John Connor but also SkyNet because the arm and chip are left behind.

But considering SkyNet has alternate origins in three different movies, anything can happen the World Terminator Federation.

Yeah, John Connor Prime gets to spend the 2000s playing fullback for the New York Jets.

Fixed.

• Like 1

The one thing that has changed about mainstream Hollywood movies in the last 20 years, is that up until the 80s or 90s, they thought you had to end a movie by resolving everything and giving the audience a happy ever after. And at some point after that, they decided that resolution was wrong, that actually you should resolve as little as possible, to leave things open for a series of sequels. That's why they never show defeated villains dead any more, just in jail or in a coma.

The entire Terminator series is a self-fufilling time loop.  They never change the outcome, just how long it takes to get there.  I'm going with, the first movie was just seeing one instance,  Kinda like Back to the Future had to keep on rolling, with every Marty that goes back to 1955 being different because of what the previous Marty did. 

Skynet was built at some point, went back and tried to take out their top adversary via time travel, but every time they go back, they change the entire future, so things happen differently each time.  Judgement Day, how it got there, when it happened, possibly who was the main human that was fighting them.

And the Sarah Connor that Reese went back for in the first movie was correct, he had the picture given to him by John.,  Unless he found a doppleganger with the same name.

Okay. My wife was like, "They spent all that time trying to get rid of the arm and the chip, and then he just leaves his arm laying around in the factory when he has Sarah terminate him?!"

Okay. My wife was like, "They spent all that time trying to get rid of the arm and the chip, and then he just leaves his arm laying around in the factory when he has Sarah terminate him?!"

While the arm is still there, it is really just crushed steel (or whatever material a terminator is made out of), some hydraulics, and wires. The chip that Dyson based Skynet on was the terminator's CPU that was in it's head, so at least in that sense, the CPU was destroyed when Arnold was lowered into the molten metal. This is assuming that their is no advanced chip in the terminator's arm for some reason...

• Like 1

Revealing that Reese went back in time and found the wrong Sarah Connor would not even make the top five "Most Confusing Retcons" in the franchise.

Whoever called Emilia Clarke the "shortest supermodel in history" had it right.  I'm not convinced she could fight off 60-ish Linda Hamilton, much less a terminator.

He talked about a sequel where Sarah Connor was back somehow and she and John would travel back in time to London or something.

And I know TheVileOne is just posting it to say without saying that Genisys won't get a sequel. Which is probably the case.

The entire Terminator series is a self-fufilling time loop.  They never change the outcome, just how long it takes to get there.  I'm going with, the first movie was just seeing one instance,  Kinda like Back to the Future had to keep on rolling, with every Marty that goes back to 1955 being different because of what the previous Marty did. 

Skynet was built at some point, went back and tried to take out their top adversary via time travel, but every time they go back, they change the entire future, so things happen differently each time.  Judgement Day, how it got there, when it happened, possibly who was the main human that was fighting them.

The TV show Sarah Connor Chronicles came up with an incredibly fascinating variation on that theme. In that show, it was eventually revealed that MULTIPLE future timelines with Skynet existed, and both the machines and the humans in these alternate dimensions were sending back their agents to try and influence things. This led to such subplots as two humans from the future who knew each other, but realized they'd come from different futures where different events had happened. This could've led to AMAZING shit down the line, but of course it was a Fox show on Friday night and we all know how those always turn out.

While the arm is still there, it is really just crushed steel (or whatever material a terminator is made out of), some hydraulics, and wires. The chip that Dyson based Skynet on was the terminator's CPU that was in it's head, so at least in that sense, the CPU was destroyed when Arnold was lowered into the molten metal. This is assuming that their is no advanced chip in the terminator's arm for some reason...
Actually, the movie's novelization said that Sarah and John searched around the factory and scooped up every bit of Terminator metal they could find, and tossed it all into the molten iron. Specifically to prevent anything from the future being found by anyone from the present. I suppose it got cut out of the movie for pacing reasons, they'd had the big emotional climax and didn't want to hang around for an extended epilogue.
  • Like 1

I can only chalk it up to Arnold being awesome. Jai Courtney and Emilia Clarke both fucking sucked. They are terrible actors.

When they first announced Emilia Clarke was the lead, I immediately thought she should've waited at least a few more years before taking on a giant role. I mean I think she is great as Daenerys, but it's not like it requires her to do a whole heck of a lot. I've seen her do some stage acting (Breakfast at Tiffany's IIRC). Oooof.

She is a tad bit limited.

I'm pretty sure me and every other single, straight guy in the theater was not paying attention to her acting talent when she was on screen.

• Like 1

I doubt the Game of Thrones fans cared about that. Her character was infamous for getting naked SO much in the early seasons of the show that she eventually demanded that they never ever put her in another nude scene, in an "or else I fucking quit" ultimatum. We've seen all she's got, so the idea of her running around fully clothed and expressing maternal concern isn't exactly a turn-on.

I feel like I probably said this a while back in this thread, but the biggest mistake all these fan-fiction Terminator sequels have made is putting all the emphasis on the time travel stuff, which was NEVER the strength of Cameron's movies, nor even really the emphasis. All the time travel mumbo jumbo was just the window dressing Cameron used to get us to the point where badass robots could chase people around.

• Like 2

I can only chalk it up to Arnold being awesome. Jai Courtney and Emilia Clarke both fucking sucked. They are terrible actors.

When they first announced Emilia Clarke was the lead, I immediately thought she should've waited at least a few more years before taking on a giant role. I mean I think she is great as Daenerys, but it's not like it requires her to do a whole heck of a lot. I've seen her do some stage acting (Breakfast at Tiffany's IIRC). Oooof.

She is a tad bit limited.

I'm pretty sure me and every other single, straight guy in the theater was not paying attention to her acting talent when she was on screen.

"Did I mention we're all straight? Oh wait..I did. Because we are. Yep."