DVDVR Message Board

Ligerbusa

I was going to mention that. I had to re-watch the video because I was too distracted by the silk shirt Cameron went back in time to take from his closet in 1991.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on that video, James Cameron can no longer be trusted to pick out his own clothes, let alone discern what a good movie is.

In fairness, if you lived in a solid gold house with a gold closet next to your gold bed and you had to pick out clothes to wear when you sit by your gold pool, there's a chance you'd get a little out there too.

Don't forget his gold-plated shark tank bar! He had to wait a few months before he could afford it due to the high piracy numbers on Avatar. VICTIMLESS CRIME?! I think not.

• Like 1

Just got invited to see the film on Monday out of the blue at the Paramount lot.  Was not expecting that.  There is also supposed to be some in theater interactive game demo they are going to show first.  

Not Ligerbusa.

I never said it was going to be good, but I'm going to see it and I prefer not going in angry and hating everything. If that's the case, why see it?

I hoped it could work and if it doesn't, that sucks. I'll see tomorrow. 

Saw it tonight. I'd give it 6.5-7 out of 10. Random thoughts/spoilers below.

The ending with Arnold becoming "upgraded" by the liquid metal was a bit much IMO. 

It didn't seem like there was any real reason for J.K. Simmons' character to even really be in the movie, which I hate to say because I like him a lot. 

The CGI work on the young Arnold T-800 was pretty good I though.

Good god those opening scenes must have cost a fortune to make

They didn't do enough with Byung-Hun Lee IMO. Killed him off way too quickly

Now don't get me wrong, there's enough stuff here to like (some good action scenes, some funny Arnold moments, Emilia Clarke's heaving bosom) but I would put it 4th out of the 5 movies (I hated hated hated Salvation). 

Not spoiler-y at all, but how the hell does Jai Courtney keep getting work? Dude has all the acting range of a 2x4.

I saw Divergent a few days ago on HBO, and he was like the least offensive part of the movie. YA just isn't for me I guess. He can do American accents. That's more than I can say for ole Sam "I make Sam Neill's American accent sound natural" Worthington. Plus, women want to fuck him. That has bought Boris Kodjoe like 10 or 15 years in Hollywood.

Among the scores of reasons I won't be seeing this movie is Emilia Clarke. I realize she's in her mid 20's, but she has such a baby face that makes her playing any sort of adult/serious role non credible. I say this as some who does not watch GOT. . . . .

Among the scores of reasons I won't be seeing this movie is Emilia Clarke. I realize she's in her mid 20's, but she has such a baby face that makes her playing any sort of adult/serious role non credible. I say this as some who does not watch GOT. . . . .

Clarke is fine in her role on GoT. But, she's playing a character who's a young teenager in the book; like, at the beginning of the show, she's supposed to be 15 (which is raised from the book's 13; I guess that somehow makes her endless nude scenes and sex scenes and child-getting-raped scenes to be somehow less immoral, or something). And her character Dany is basically a trust-fund baby who always relies on other people to fight all her battles for her. So, no, she's not portrayed as any kind of physical badass or threat on that show.

I watched the first one again last night. Is it possible that in the original timeline before Reese ever travelled back that one of the other Sarah Connors was John Connor's mother, and it was a case of mistaken identity? I know I'm just trying to explain away a paradox, but it's been a long time since I've watched it and that hadn't occurred to me before.

Man, this movie was such a mess, and yet, I still found it to be ok. Like Ligerbusa said, the first 20 to 30 minutes were good, but then the entire tone of the movie changes. It becomes so bright and slick.

If it wasn't that, it was how they kept hitting you over the head again and again and again about what Terminators are or what Skynet is or what Judgment Day is or what Kyle Reese is there for and...ugh...you get the point. IT'S A FUCKING TERMINATOR MOVIE! If you don't know what this series is about, TOUGH FUCKIN' SHIT ASSHOLE! Get the fuck out because this movie ain't for you. And yet, the writers found it necessary to overly explain a franchise that we're 5 movies and 1 tv show into.

That writing also saw fit to introduce the biggest plot holes I've seen in a movie. 

I don't even know where to begin...Let's start with the fact that the timeline was created in 1984 because in about 1974, someone sent a fucking liquid metal terminator to kill Sarah Connor as a child and someone also sent a T800 back to protect her. Initially, they play up a mystery as to why there's a T800 with Sarah in 1984. T800 says his memory files were deleted, but Sarah knows the how and what and why. Then, like 5 minutes later, Sarah reveals the whole thing about the T1000 being sent to kill her and the T800 being sent to protect her. AT NO POINT DOES KYLE REESE ASK "WHO SENT THEM?" It's just fucking hand-waved and everyone moves on because that's a totally fucking normal thing to happen.

Another plot hole at this very same time, and we're like 20 minutes into this thing, is Sarah mentions going to get the other Kyle Reese sent back to 1984, which is completely glossed over again. Like, what in the fucking fuck? Why would you introduce shit like that without having a payoff? It's the laziest fucking writing.

So in 1984 the T800 and Sarah have built a time machine and instead of just going to 1997 or whatever, they wait for the T800 to show up. We see the T800 get sent back and we are told that using the time machine is last ditch effort, so nothing else has been sent back in time. Not another T800, not a T1000, not Kyle Reese, NOTHING. The T800 shows up and the old T800 and the one just sent back fight it out. I should point out that Sarah had exact knowledge of the T800 being sent back and going to where those punks were at so you would think both Sarah and Pops would be waiting for the new T800. Instead, THEY GET THE JUST IN THE NICK OF TIME! The fuck?! And this is bullshit that happens constantly in this movie, with characters knowing exactly what would happen and just getting somewhere late or just in time. Also, a T1000 is already in 1984, which not one fucking person questions how that would even be possible.

Moving on, Sarah and Kyle use the time machine to instead go to 2017. Sarah has a problem with this, but timey wimey bullshit deems that 1997 isn't going to be Judgment Day and 2017 is. Parallel timelines are mentioned and blah blah blah, but Sarah and Kyle go to 2017, leaving Pops to wait around. In that time, you would think Pops would have ammo all loaded up and ready to go or he would be in the right place at the right time to get Sarah and Kyle, but that would deprive us of the bullshit scenes of Kyle and Pops loading up ammo clips and shit.

Giant plot hole #3 is John managing to go back in time at all. So as Kyle is getting sent back in time, The Doctor/Matt Smith/Skynet infects John Connor with nanobots Agent Smith style. I shit you fucking not, it's the same way Agent Smith would infect others, complete with digitized voice of the victim. So John Connor is now a machine. There is no bio-organic skin covering metal to protect it while it goes into the time machine. And yet, it goes back in time anyway. This, by the way, turns out to be something that destroys John Connor later in the movie.

The characters also laugh in the fucking face of time and space in this movie, with John saying he could still kill Sarah and he would be there. We are also told that they are relics of a failed timeline. And that's fine, but no respect is even paid to parallel timelines.

So to sum up...someone or something sends back a T1000 and Pops to 1974 to kill Sarah and Pops saves Sarah. Meanwhile, they wait until the events of 1984 and also build a time machine. In the future, the time machine, which hasn't been used before, finally gets used to send back a T800 to kill Sarah. Kyle Reese also gets sent back to 1984. Sarah and Pops show up just a little late to the party to kill the T800 even though they had information on when and where the T800 would be. Pops and Sarah go to save Kyle from the T1000, which was somehow sent back as well. And there's another Kyle that was sent back. So the writers have no idea how parallel timelines or time travel should work. They just do whatever the fuck they want, no matter how little sense it makes.

At this point, I need to stop. There's so many problems with this movie, but again, I found a way to think it was merely ok. I have no idea how that's possible. I can only chalk it up to Arnold being awesome. Jai Courtney and Emilia Clarke both fucking sucked. They are terrible actors.

I watched the first one again last night. Is it possible that in the original timeline before Reese ever travelled back that one of the other Sarah Connors was John Connor's mother, and it was a case of mistaken identity? I know I'm just trying to explain away a paradox, but it's been a long time since I've watched it and that hadn't occurred to me before.

Oh shit.  Right, there were more Sarah Connors in the phonebook; I believe the one who got all caught up in these adventures was the third.  Maybe John  Connor was the son of one of the Sarahs further down.  So Skynet is wasting time constantly sending Terminators after the wrong people while the real John Connor lived a peaceful existence, maybe joined the National Guard or something.

• Like 1

Yeah, John Connor Prime gets to spend the 90s following Phish around or something. Meanwhile, this kid who only exists because Reese went back in time and protected/slept with the wrong Sarah Connor is being trained by his mother to fight and being told he's the savior.

• Like 1

I can only chalk it up to Arnold being awesome. Jai Courtney and Emilia Clarke both fucking sucked. They are terrible actors.

When they first announced Emilia Clarke was the lead, I immediately thought she should've waited at least a few more years before taking on a giant role. I mean I think she is great as Daenerys, but it's not like it requires her to do a whole heck of a lot. I've seen her do some stage acting (Breakfast at Tiffany's IIRC). Oooof.

She is a tad bit limited.