DVDVR Message Board

Ligerbusa

Once again, I just wish this franchise would die with dignity.

I wouldn't have minded that but basically I'm a mark for anything Terminator so I will have to watch this and I'm thinking at some point they are going to reboot the whole damn thing because that's Hollywood for you.

I wouldn't have minded that but basically I'm a mark for anything Terminator so I will have to watch this and I'm thinking at some point they are going to reboot the whole damn thing because that's Hollywood for you.

They've tried rebooting it several times already all to no avail.  How many more times can they do it?  This is basically like the third or fourth reboot attempt.

How many more times can they do it? 

Paramount ain't exactly Disney, WB, or Sony at the moment. It's not like they have a bunch of properties that they feel obligated to put out there. They can do it how many times they want to. Diminishing returns be damned.

I thought the rights reverted to James Cameron in a couple of years? Meaning Paramount can't make as many as they like. They can make this trilogy, or nothing else.

This movie is the Corman Fantastic Four of the Terminator universe.

I thought the rights reverted to James Cameron in a couple of years? Meaning Paramount can't make as many as they like. They can make this trilogy, or nothing else.

I believe a "couple of years" is 2019.

Paramount ain't exactly Disney, WB, or Sony at the moment. It's not like they have a bunch of properties that they feel obligated to put out there. They can do it how many times they want to. Diminishing returns be damned.

They still have Transformers and Ninja Turtles.  And Sponge Bob.  

They still have Transformers and Ninja Turtles.  And Sponge Bob.  

Dude, they better pray Tom Cruise doesn't start looking and feeling his age.

Honestly, I'd prefer a remake/hard reboot than trying to understand the timelines the series has now.

That said, of course I'm going to go see this.

Well, the filmmakers of this view T1+T2 as one timeline but this splits off and forms it's own. 

Entertainment Weekly put together a timeline and had Kate Brewster's status in T1 as unknown. You can't do that shit. The years don't even match up. John was 10 in T2 with JD happening in 1997, "a few years from now" yet SCC said T2 takes place in 1997 and T3 says John was 10.

BTW, I went back and watched the first season of SCC. I don't understand how they took Dr. Silberman and made him a crazy person who kidnaps people and looks like James Cameron.

I believe a "couple of years" is 2019.

Yep, they want to film the next two back to back. And they know the final line of the last movie. I assume it's "Chill out, deekwad". 

The big issue they have is they seemingly can't make a Terminator film without Arnie, so we get a bunch of time paradoxes, CGI and re-writes to fit him into thw film.

A hard reboot with Emilia Clarke as young Sarah and I dont know... Batista as the T-101. Throw in Matt Smith as Reece and tell the story to a new generation.

Regarding the spoiler from the latest trailer:

Isn't that essentially what the ending to Salvation was originally going to be? Connor gets killed, his skin gets grafted onto Marcus' metal skeleton and then he gets taken over by Skynet?

Regarding the spoiler from the latest trailer:

Isn't that essentially what the ending to Salvation was originally going to be? Connor gets killed, his skin gets grafted onto Marcus' metal skeleton and then he gets taken over by Skynet?

Somewhat..

There's a chance Connor is kept alive by the end of the movie.

Paramount Japan uploaded five TV spots to their Youtube channel.

The first video they uploaded has a quick shot of the punks in 1984. Maybe it's a fanboy thing to complain about but I wonder why they gave the Shao Kahn punk a mohawk, which the character didn't have in the original.

bdxN0sZ.jpg?1

OHavc4a.png

The third spot has

Dyson talking about CyberDyne "revolutionizing technology with the ultimate killer app, Genisys".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

James Cameron says he likes Genisys and considers it the third Terminator movie.

The CG on the 84 Arnold actually looks great here. 

It looks like the Terminator theme is in the movie as it plays on the UK site and the file name says end credits.

http://www.terminatorgenisysmovie.co.uk/#home

http://downloads.paramount.com/ppi/terminator_genisys/soundtrack/Vista_7m45_End_Credits_c48_v2_04_LB-AM-Mix03-18_Stereo_Mix.mp3

Aaaaaaand that just sold me on it. The CG looks so fucking good now, compared to what it looked like before. And Cameron sounding sincere about how much he likes it gives me hope.

Yeah, that looked pretty awesome. The scene with the perfectly-CGI'ed young Arnold being such a shot-for-shot remake of the original Terminator, suddenly screeching to a record-scratch halt when outta nowhere Arnold 2015 shows up to do battle with himself... yep, major mark-out moment there. And the idea of John as the heel looks like it might actually be kinda fascinating; which is surprising, considering how close this treatment of his character is to McG's infamously awful idea about how he wanted to end Terminator Salvation before the studio enforced sanity upon him. (Fortunately, Genysis appears to be STARTING with this idea, rather than finishing with it.)

Some of the cast makes me worry a tiny bit. Jai Courtney, shee-yit, we're still trying to turn this guy into an action star? He was fucking terrible in Die Hard 5, I'm told he was even worse in I, Frankenstein, and he was so colorless in Insurgent that I can't even remember who the hell he was in that movie. Hopefully he's finally putting on his big-boy pants to play Kyle Reese (and hopefully those big-boy pants were stolen from a bum in an alley, just to keep some traditions alive). Meanwhile, poor Emilia Clarke has one hell of a job to attempt filling Linda Hamilton's combat boots. Yeah, it's been done before and Lena Headey certainly didn't drop the ball in the tremendously underrated TV series. But, for this particular role, ain't it a lot easier to buy Cersei rather than Daenerys as Sarah Freakin' Connor? Clarke looks like the world's shortest supermodel, I just have a hard time imagining her as a crazy shotgun-toting badass. Ah well, at least we've got Schwarzzzzzenegger back in apparently-top-form; and also the dude who was the obsessed detective in I Saw The Devil as the new T-1000, as an added bonus. (I'd rather have Shirley Manson back from the TV series for that part, but oh well, nothing's perfect.)

As for the behind-the-scenes crew: who the hell knows? The director's only big previous credit was Thor 2; and, well, at least it was better than Thor, and besides it's well known how Marvel's directors are practically puppets on strings anyway. The quality of the titles listed for the writers, cinematographer, and editor are all over the map and don't tell me jack shit about what to predict for their collaboration in this project. So I'mma just going to cross my fingers and hope we get something good.