DVDVR Message Board

The DVDVR Best Films of 2013!

caley

dallas-buyers-club-matthew-mcconaughey-j

14. Dallas Buyers Club - 21 Points (6 Votes, Highest Votes: Fat Spanish Waiter and RonL21 [#5]).

Directed by Jean-Marc Vallee.  Starring Matthew McConaughey, Jennifer Garner, Jared Leto, Denis O'Hare, Steve Zahn, and Griffin Dunne.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "The movie isn't simply well acted or written; all of its observant qualities and pitch perfect performances are married to a tone and method that are courageous in conviction."  -David Keyes

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Saw Dallas Buyers Club at the theatre.  Mucho good, McConaughey is a monster." -MarcosLoura

download.jpg

13. Short Term 12 - 22 Points (3 Votes, Highest Vote: Caley [#3], Other High Votes: Hollinger [#4]).

Directed by Destin Dallas Cretton.  Starring Brie Larson, John Gallagher Jr., Stephanie Beatriz, Rami Malek, Alex Calloway, Kevin Hernandez, Lydia Du Veaux, Lakeith Lee Stanfield, Frantz Turner and Kaitlyn Dever.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "Short Term 12"  is a sly wonder of a film.  It brings you into its unique world and them slowly reveals its characters, letting them unfold gradually, organically."  -Tom Long

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "So, 'Short Term 12' is pretty much the greatest film of 2013 that few saw/heard about, right?  I know I wouldn't have been aware of it if not for Hollinger's recommendation, but it's just so good.  Brie Larson plays a supervisor for a foster care facility for at-risk teens and it's so super-perfect.  I mean, she's incredible in the lead, but what really struck was how all the kids were really good, too.  I mean, when Marcus recites his rap lyrics that are all about his terrible treatment at the hands of his mother and at the end his eyes are just BLAZING as he spits out his lyrics, you can't believe for a second that it's an actor and not a real kid rapping through his pain.  I loved every minute of it, was a little worried it would go off the rails in the third act, but it reins itself in well.  Go rent it right now!"

-caley

Upstream-Color.jpg

12. Upstream Color - 23 Points (4 Votes, Highest Vote: Cameron Swift [#2]).

Directed by Shane Carruth.  Starring Amy Seimetz, Shane Carruth, Andrew Sensenig and Thiago Martins.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "It presents us with a glimpse of the vastness of existence, of our inner nature, and of nature without that is as equally dreadful, enveloping, and terrifying as it is beautiful."  -Tirdad Derakhshani

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "I loved this. I liked the odd dialogue -- the way the whole movie went about it made me feel like what happened to them happened to me. And even though I felt like I had no idea what was going on for 90% of the movie, I thought the end pulled it all together, and I was happy. Wasn't a fan of Primer, so I didn't have wild expectations. I loved it." -Lawful Metal

this-is-the-end-martin-star-aziz-emma-wa

11. This Is the End - 23 Points (4 Votes, Highest Vote: Fat Spanish Waiter's #1 Film of 2013! Other High Votes: Ray [#5]).

Directed by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg.  Starring Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel, Jonah Hill, James Franco, Craig Robinson, Danny McBride, Emma Watson and Michael Cera.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "This is the End, true to its subject matter, is as funny as hell."  -Dana Stevens

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "This Is the End (2013) I loved this one. Not sure whether Danny McBride, Emma Watson, or Michael Cera had the best role. The title says it all. The only thing I didn't care for was the musical number. (Not really my kind of tune.) 8/10" -Travis Sheldon

I'm hoping to run through 10-1 tomorrow.

The-Worlds-End-Simon-Pegg.jpg

10. The World's End - 23 Points (6 Votes, Highest Vote: Jingus [#2]).

Directed by Edgar Wright.  Starring Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Martin Freeman, Paddy Considine, Eddie Marsan, Rosamund Pike and Pierce Brosnan.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "To my surprise, a diamond has emerged from the gutter.  It's name is The World's End, and it'll knock you on your ass from laughing when you're not rubbing your eyes in disbelief."  -Peter Travers 

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "The World's End might honestly be my favorite of the Pegg/Frost/Wright Cornetto trilogy.  It's certainly got the most adult and mature plot; the other two movies were about men who regressed to childhood and had fun, but this one's about a man-child who is ruining the lives of himself and everyone he knows with his endless pursuit of juvenile shenanigans.  It's got a few scenes which are SO well done that I literally couldn't believe what I was seeing (the "Alabama Song" montage, especially) and it's just an awesome, awesome movie overall. " -Jingus

Inside-Llewyn-Davis-tease-001.jpg

09. Inside Llewyn Davis - 26 Points (3 Votes, Highest Vote: Hollinger [#2]  Other High Votes: Chaos [#3] and Caley [#5]).

Directed by the Coen Brothers.  Starring Oscar Isaac, Carey Mulligan, Justin Timberlake, Ethan Phillips, Robin Bartlett, Max Casella, Adam Driver, Stark Sands, John Goodman, Garrett Hedlund and F.Murray Abraham.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "This is one of the strangest yet most satisfying movie experiences of the year, one of those films in which you can't really appreciate what you've seen until it's over.  You just have to trust that the trip is worth the trouble.  And it is."  -Bill Goodykoontz

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Started a thread about this one, but it's really good.  I enjoyed it while watching it and then, hours later, I find it really sticks with you.  There's something there.  It's quite wonderful, even though it's really sad.  Saw one reviewer say it was about striving for dreams we want but don't really deserve.  Good stuff.  What a wonderful year for film!" -caley

killing3.jpg

08. The Act of Killing - 26 Points (4 Votes, Highest Vote: Suicide King of Spades' #1 Film of 2013! Other High Votes: The Damn Yeti [#4]).

Directed by Joshua Oppenheimer. 

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "The emotional places this troubling movie takes him to are rewardingly primal and potent, forcing both subject and viewer to wrestle with internal demons." -Keith Uhlich

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "The recreation of the paramilitary in the killing fields, with the children reacting in authentic terror, was almost too much.  Such an amazing and horrible film." -The Damn Yeti

PRISONERS-04.jpg

07. Prisoners - 27 Points [4 Votes, Highest Vote: Ray's #1 Film of 2013! Other High Votes: Cameron Swift [#4] and Niners Fan in CT [#5]).

Directed by Denis Villeneueve.  Starring Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Viola Davis, Maria Bello, Terrence Howard, Melissa Leo, and Paul Dano.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "Ethical exploration or exploitation?  In the end, I come down reservedly on the former side: the work done here by Jackman, Gyllenhaal, and especially Villeneuve is simply too powerful to ignore." -Christopher Orr

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "I've already pimped this out some but go watch Prisoners.  Jackman is fantastic in this.  He shows a wide range of emotions and everything he does and is going through is exactly how I would think someone would react to the situation at hand.  Jake Gyllenhaal is every bit as good as the detective on the case.  It's more low key than Jackman but very very good." -Niners Fan in CT

Before-Midnight.jpg

06. Before Midnight - 34 Points (5 Votes, Highest Vote: Chaos [#2]. Other High Votes: Suicide King of Spades [#3], Ray [#4]).

Directed by Richard Linklater.  Starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "Love is messy here, life cannot be controlled, satisfaction is far from guaranteed.  Romance is rocky at best.  But romance still is." -Tom Long

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Of what I have seen...Before Midnight will be a difficult #2 to unseat." -Chaos

Top 5 coming after lunch-ish (Pacific time)...some time today at least!

I didn't predict The World's End or Inside Llewyn Davis showing up in the top ten (should've remembered the latter, though).  So now I have six big movies in mind, but there's only five spots left to fill... hmm.

I didn't predict The World's End or Inside Llewyn Davis showing up in the top ten (should've remembered the latter, though).  So now I have six big movies in mind, but there's only five spots left to fill... hmm.

Great.  Now you've got me freaked out that I've missed something.  Ah well...

12YearsaSlaveHang.jpg

05. 12 Years A Slave - 41 Points (7 Votes, Highest Vote: Chaos and RonL21's #1 Film of 2013! Other High Votes: Niners Fan in CT [#2]).

Directed by Steve McQueen.  Starring Chiwetel Ejiofor, Lupita Nyong'o, Michael Fassbender, Sarah Paulson, Scoot McNairy, Taran Killam, Michael K. Williams, Paul Giamatti, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Dano, Alfre Woodard, Garret Dillahunt, and Brad Pitt.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "There are no false pretenses or unnecessary charing, instead, there is patience and time.  The moments of suspension often become the biggest delight." -Anna Tatarska

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Have we discussed 12 Years a Slave yet? No? Well, this might be the best film I've seen from 2013. It turned into a strong year. Beautiful cinematography in this one but it was tough to watch.. Actually, it was extremely difficult to get through but I applaud a more historically accurate portrayal than the usual watered down Hollywood BS. The screenplay is very good as well. I would assume Fassbender, Ejiofor and Nyong'o receive well deserved acting nominations. McQueen should be nominated for Best Director."  -Niners Fan in CT

jennifer-lawrence-first-american-hustle.

04. American Hustle - 43 Points (8 Votes, Highest Vote: Niners Fan in CT and The Damn Yeti [#3], Other High Votes: theonlyrice [#4]).

Directed by David O. Russell.  Starring Christian Bale, Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Jeremy Renner, Louis C.K., Jack Huston, Michael Pena, Shea Wigham and Alessandro Nivola.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "To call the end result an absolute triumph would undercut more apropos labels; it seeks to be one of the best films of the year, and transcends that goal." -David Keyes

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Loved every minute. Everyone was pitch perfect, they threw just enough twist and turns to get through the 2.5 hours and there was plenty of depth to everything that happened on screen." -L_W_P

her-joaquin-phoenix-3.jpg

03. Her - 54 Points (7 Votes, Highest Votes: Other High Votes: Hollinger and Jingus' #1 Film of 2013!, Other High Votes: caley [#2], Niners Fan in CT [#4]).

Directed by Spike Jonze.  Starring Joaquin Phoenix, Scarlett Johansson, Amy Adams, Rooney Mara, and Chris Pratt.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "Witty, tender and arrestingly gorgeous, Her is a masterpiece.  Phoenix's central performance is of the lofty levels we have come to expect of him while Johansson disarms with only her voice." -Hilary A. White.

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "As much as I loved Gravity, and I still need to see 12 Years a Slave, Her was incredible. It's the most relevant and important piece of science fiction of our time. Words can't really describe or do justice for how good it was." -Craig H

(NSFW clip!)