DVDVR Message Board

The DVDVR Best Films of 2013!

caley

25. Much Ado About Nothing - 13 Points (2 Votes, Highest Vote: theonlyrice [#5]).

Directed by Joss Whedon.  Starring Amy Acker, Alex Denisof, Nathan Fillion, Clark Gregg, Reed Diamond, Fran Kranz, Jillian Morgese, Sean Maher and Spencer Treat Clark.

I'm the other vote for it with theonlyrice. My number #6. Funniest film I watched from the year.

432816581_640.jpg

24. Gimme the Loot (TIE) - 13 Points (2 Votes, Highest Vote: Suicide King of Spades [#4]).

Directed by Adam Leon.  Starring Tashiana Washington, Ty Hickson, Meeko, Sam Soghor, Adam Metzger, Greyson Cruz, James Harris Jr., Zoe Lescze, Joshua Rivera, and Melvin Mogoli.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "A thousand-watt jolt of mischief, a spunky, funky, ebullient indie that packs its 81 minutes with cinematic exhilaration."  -Coin Covert

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Gimme The Loot was all kinds of fun, though!  Two teenage graffiti enthusiasts in the Bronx need to come up with $500 by the end of the day, and I honestly didn't even catch exactly why, but it doesn't matter.  It's just so great listening to them curse out each other and everyone else." -Suicide King of Spades

432816581_640.jpg

24. Gimme the Loot (TIE) - 13 Points (2 Votes, Highest Vote: Suicide King of Spades [#4]).

Directed by Adam Leon.  Starring Tashiana Washington, Ty Hickson, Meeko, Sam Soghor, Adam Metzger, Greyson Cruz, James Harris Jr., Zoe Lescze, Joshua Rivera, and Melvin Mogoli.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "A thousand-watt jolt of mischief, a spunky, funky, ebullient indie that packs its 81 minutes with cinematic exhilaration."  -Coin Covert

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Gimme The Loot was all kinds of fun, though!  Two teenage graffiti enthusiasts in the Bronx need to come up with $500 by the end of the day, and I honestly didn't even catch exactly why, but it doesn't matter.  It's just so great listening to them curse out each other and everyone else." -Suicide King of Spades

I was the other voter on this one.  People should give it a shot, it's on Netflix.  It's like 80 minutes of watching these two characters hang out, try to run scams and just shoot the shit.  Loved it!

I think with me having it at #4, it's going to be one of those things where if I look back at the list a few years from now, I'll think "Wow, I put that way too high."

And then I'll watch the movie again some other time and be like "Oh never mind, #4 was the right spot for it."

• Like 1

25. Much Ado About Nothing - 13 Points (2 Votes, Highest Vote: theonlyrice [#5]).

Directed by Joss Whedon.  Starring Amy Acker, Alex Denisof, Nathan Fillion, Clark Gregg, Reed Diamond, Fran Kranz, Jillian Morgese, Sean Maher and Spencer Treat Clark.

I'm the other vote for it with theonlyrice. My number #6. Funniest film I watched from the year.

I didn't realize it was even an option.  IMDB, Flickchart, and Wikipedia all list it as a 2012 release.  

Stoker-2.jpg

22. Stoker - 13 Points (2 Votes, Highest Vote: Ray [#2]).

Directed by Chan-wook Park.  Starring Mia Wasikowska, Nicole Kidman, Matthew Goode, Harmony Korine, Lucas Till, Jacki Weaver and Dermot Mulroney.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "A beautifully twisted, slow-burning psychothriller that may or may not be taking place inside India's head." -Steven Rea

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "I liked STOKER.  Just the right mix of creepy and ridiculous.  I'm interested to see what else Park Chan-Wook can do in Hollywood." -Control

Superman-Man-of-Steel-2013-Henry.jpg

21. Man of Steel - 14 Points (5 Votes, Highest Vote: Fat Spanish Waiter [#7]).

Directed by Zack Snyder.  Starring Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Antje Traue, Harry Lennix, Richard Schiff, Christopher Meloni, Laurence Fishburne and Kevin Costner.

WHAT LOU REED SAID: "It's like the visuals at the end of the new Superman movie - just overwhelmingly incredible.  I played it over and over."  -Lou Reed

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Man of Steel was awesome.  Everything I wanted Superman in a movie to be.  He stopped being  a sissy and started kicking ass...FOR AMERICA." - Craig H

Thanks!  Gonna try to power through a few of these, depending how much luck I have digging up 'DVDVR says' quotes (I hate quoting myself, but have had to a few times as no one else seems to have discussed some movies!).

I didn't realize it was even an option.  IMDB, Flickchart, and Wikipedia all list it as a 2012 release.  

I think the rules changed last year when the film has a wide release instead of a small release.

Directed by Zack Snyder.  Starring Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Russell Crowe, Antje Traue, Harry Lennix, Richard Schiff, Christopher Meloni, Laurence Fishburne and Kevin Costner.

The divisive Man of Steel. I liked Man of Steel and it closed my ballot out. My Dad didn't like it.

The divisive Man of Steel. I liked Man of Steel and it closed my ballot out. My Dad didn't like it.

Personally, I would place Man of Steel among one of the worst films I saw in 2013.

• Like 1

Personally, I would place Man of Steel among one of the worst films I saw in 2013.

Fair enough.

Iron Man 3 was another film dividing opinion in 2013.

I think the rules changed last year when the film has a wide release instead of a small release.

Too much little-seen fare was falling through the cracks where IMDB was listing it as the previous year because it was shown at one small festival that no one attended, so we started going with Rotten Tomatoes who seem to better judge what year a film "belongs" to.

tumblr_mkn37z8KuU1rhighzo1_5001.jpg

20. The Place Beyond the Pines - 15 Points (3 Votes, Highest Vote: The Damn Yeti & Chaos [#5]).

Directed by Derek Cianfrance.  Starring Ryan Goslin, Eva Mendes, Bradley Cooper, Ben Mendelsohn, Rose Byrne, Bruce Greenwood, Ray Liotta, Emory Cohen and Dane DeHaan.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "This is a story about legacy, the sins of the father, the restlessness in our souls.  It's powerful, bold, it hits you hard."  -Steven Rea

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "The Place Beyond the Pines was really good as I expected, just not in the ways I expected. It might be the last year, big time sleeper crime film. There were points at the start where I was going to give up on it but if you stay with it... damn."-Curt McGirt

side-effects-mara.jpg

19. Side Effects - 15 Points (5 Votes, Highest Vote: theonlyrice [#6]).

Directed by Steven Soderbergh.  Starring Rooney Mara, Jude Law, Catherine Zeta-Jones and Channing Tatum.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "A crafty teaser that presents itself as one kind of film before gradually evolving into another kind altogether.  I, for one, enjoyed both enormously." -Christopher Orr

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Side Effects is really good. Jude Law is great and there's some really awesome shot compositions. Really love the moments where Soderburgh directs bits like a drug commercial. It reminds me of episodes of the Alfred Hitchcock Hour. Highly recommend it." -jaedmc

mud-movie.jpg

18. Mud - 15 Points (6 Votes, Highest Vote: Chaos [#7]).

Directed by Jeff Nichols.  Starring Matthew McConaughey, Reese Witherspoon, Tye Sheridan, Jacob Lofland, Sam Shepard, Ray McKinnon, Sarah Paulson, Michael Shannon and Joe Don Baker.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "Glorious vision of youth and truth, love and loss, your name is Mud." -Mary Corliss

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Mud: Just staggeringly great.  Like, where would they turn up a kid like the one who played Neckbone?!  It was his first movie and he was so great.  If you haven't seen it, it's about two boys who find a homeless guy living on a small island in Arkansas, befriend him, and decide to help him get away with his true love.  The scenery is fantastic, the cinematography is magnificent, the acting is superb (It's amazing how quickly Matthew McConaughey has gone from "Ugh, the worst..." to must-see) and the sudden burst of violence comes out of nowhere but is so perfect.  If 2013 yields a better film than this, than it will be quite a year indeed." -caley

Place Beyond The Pines is another one I didn't see.  Saw Side Effects but didn't vote for it - it wasn't bad, but I read a "this plan is ridiculous, who would come up with something like that" critique on another message board that probably soured me on it.

Mud was at the very bottom of my list.  I watched it last summer in New Orleans, taking the opportunity to get out of the heat, in one of those fancy pants theatres where waiters come to your seat and serve you drinks.  caley, I mentioned that if you liked this one, you are going to like the Nicolas Cage movie "Joe" at least as much - and shoot, that's coming out next week.  Limited release, though.

Place Beyond The Pines is another one I didn't see.  Saw Side Effects but didn't vote for it - it wasn't bad, but I read a "this plan is ridiculous, who would come up with something like that" critique on another message board that probably soured me on it.

Mud was at the very bottom of my list.  I watched it last summer in New Orleans, taking the opportunity to get out of the heat, in one of those fancy pants theatres where waiters come to your seat and serve you drinks.  caley, I mentioned that if you liked this one, you are going to like the Nicolas Cage movie "Joe" at least as much - and shoot, that's coming out next week.  Limited release, though.

At least I'll get a chance to watch it before next year!  I'm a big Nick Cage fan, so this is right in my wheelhouse.

Nebraska-Family-Reunion.jpg

17. Nebraska - 18 Points (2 Votes, Highest Vote: Caley's #1 Film of 2013! Other High Votes: Hollinger [#5]).

Directed by Alexander Payne.  Starring Bruce Dern, Will Forte, June Squibb, Bob Odenkirk and Stacy Keach.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "Nebraska is undeniable; agonisingly hilarious, unyielding in its paternal love and devastatingly authentic to the ache of life closer to its end than the beginning."  -Blake Howard

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Nebraska probably won't win any of the major awards either, but what an absolutely great film that is.  Maybe it's because it hit a bit close to home, as that's my extended family in a nutshell." -Hoffman

Nebraska-Family-Reunion.jpg

17. Nebraska - 18 Points (2 Votes, Highest Vote: Caley's #1 Film of 2013! Other High Votes: Hollinger [#5]).

Directed by Alexander Payne.  Starring Bruce Dern, Will Forte, June Squibb, Bob Odenkirk and Stacy Keach.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "Nebraska is undeniable; agonisingly hilarious, unyielding in its paternal love and devastatingly authentic to the ache of life closer to its end than the beginning."  -Blake Howard

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Nebraska probably won't win any of the major awards either, but what an absolutely great film that is.  Maybe it's because it hit a bit close to home, as that's my extended family in a nutshell." -Hoffman

BTW, screw you guys, this movie deserved way more than two votes!

spring-breakers-trailer-5.jpg

16. Spring Breakers - 18 Points (TIE) (4 Votes - Highest Vote: Cameron Swift [#3]).

Directed by Harmony Korine.  Starring James Franco, Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Benson, Rachel Korine, Gucci Mane, and Jeff Jarrett.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "Neon bright and all raw energy, Spring Breakers is a pulsating paradox of a movie, both a tangerine dream and a cultural reality check, a pop artifact that simultaneously exploits and explores the shallowness of pop artifacts." -Rick Groen

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "FWIW I thought Spring Breakers was about how absurd it is to try to create something really meaningful out of youth culture.  (Maybe I'm just getting old.)  And I thought James Franco single-handedly carried the movie to something approaching greatness."

-Suicide King of Spades

the-spectacular-now-still-2.jpg

16. The Spectacular Now (TIE) - 18 Points (4 Votes, Highest Vote: theonlyrice [#3]).

Directed by James Ponsoldt.  Starring Miles Teller, Shailene Woodley, Brie Larson, Masam Holden, Dayo Okeniyi, Kyle Chandler, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Andre Royo and Bob Odenkirk.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "This adaptation of Tim Tharp's novel, directed with delicate restraint by James Ponsoldt, sneaks up on you.  It makes you laugh, then it breaks your heart."  -Rene Rodriguez

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Its straight forward, but doesn't fall into coming of age teen movie cliches. Shailene Woodley and Miles Teller and outstanding, two of the best performances of 2013."

-theonlyrice