DVDVR Message Board

The DVDVR Best Films of 2013!

caley

We had 14 ballots cast for 97 different films.  I played with two scoring styles and ended up going with the second because it kept the single vote #1 films on the list, but didn't put them TOO high.

So, let's get this going in 3-2-1...

EDIT: Thought I would add in here my tiebreaker method.  First tiebreaker is number of votes.  Second tiebreaker is which film had the higher highest vote.  Once that's even, I just TIE them and list them alphabetically.

• Like 2

The_Hunger_Games_Catching_Fire_40430.jpg
31. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (TIE) - 11 Points (1 Vote, Highest Vote: theonlyrice's #1 Film of 2013!)

Directed by Francis Lawrence.  Starring Jennifer Lawrence, Liam Hemsworth, Jack Quaid, Taylor St. Clair, Sandra Ellis Lafferty, Woody Harrelson, Josh Hutcherson, Donald Sutherland, Elizabeth Banks, Lenny Kravitz, Stanley Tucci, and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "The budget is nearly twice the original and it shows.  Great work from the A-list cast, amazing set designs and costumes." -Richard Roeper

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "This is a much better film than the first Hunger Games, which more than makes up for it being a lesser book." -Brian Fowler 

tumblr_mpjder0Vqq1s24yiro1_1280.jpg

31. Filth - (TIE) 11 Points (1 vote, Highest Vote: throughsilver's #1 Film of 2013!)

Directed by Jon S. Baird.  Starring: James McAvoy, Imogen Poots, Jamie bell, Joanne Froggatt, Shirley Henderson, Jim Broadbent, and Eddie Marsan.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "Required to run the gamut from sympathetic, troubled victim of circumstance to sweaty, coke-fuelled rage monster, McAvoy is a horrifically enjoyable revelation."

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Speaking of James McAvoy - he's playing the lead in an adaptation of Irvine Welsh's (he of Trainspotting fame) novel FILTH." -Chester Copperpot.

7432_3.jpg

31. The Dark Knight Returns Part 2 (TIE) - 11 Points (1 Vote, Highest Vote: The Natural's #1 Movie of 2013!): 

Directed by Jay Oliva.  Starring: Peter Weller, Ariel Winter, Michael Emerson, David Selby, Mark Valley, Carlos Alazraqui and Paget Brewster.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "A fully-realized achievement that does right by fans of the source material and is the new standard of excellence for Warner animated films."  -Jeffrey Lyles

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "The animation did a good job evoking the Miller style (and the director made sure to include all the iconic shots) and the story stuck close enough to the comics that I didn't mind the tweaks they made here and there." -pipGofern

Oh my goodness that Filth movie looks amazing.

My ballot had 22 movies... I'd say I'd expect 13 of them to show up on the countdown.  We'll see!

Yeah, I'd heard nothing about it, but it looks interesting: a coked-up McAvoy, a throughsilver rec. and also it's in someone's sig and I didn't even realize it all this time.

• Like 1

My ballot had 22 movies... I'd say I'd expect 13 of them to show up on the countdown.  We'll see!

Yeah, I'd heard nothing about it, but it looks interesting: a coked-up McAvoy, a throughsilver rec. and also it's in someone's sig and I didn't even realize it all this time.

Oh yeah, it's pretty good. Check it out!

Although my plan was to make people believe it's from a deleted scene from X-Men: First Class, if someone asked me about it.

Although my plan was to make people believe it's from a deleted scene from X-Men: First Class, if someone asked me about it.

I thought it was The Z...but I didn't want to butcher your name and right 'Z' or 'Thez'

31. The Dark Knight Returns Part 2 (TIE) - 11 Points (1 Vote, Highest Vote: The Natural's #1 Movie of 2013!): 

Directed by Jay Oliva.  Starring: Peter Weller, Ariel Winter, Michael Emerson, David Selby, Mark Valley, Carlos Alazraqui and Paget Brewster.

Pleasantly surprised this made it like it's predecessor did this time last year. Disappointed I was the only voter for it. Please watch it.

I thought it was The Z...but I didn't want to butcher your name and right 'Z' or 'Thez'

No problem. I should change it to "The Z-Man" one of these days.

Only if you can get it to play his old WCW music: "Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah!"

Only if you can get it to play his old WCW music: "Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah!"

For point of reference

• Like 1

Guess I'd better post another film before this turns into me just posting 1990s' WCW wrestler themes.

The_Past_6_netti-620x316.jpg
28. The Past - 11 Points (2 Votes, Highest Vote: theonly rice [#2])

Directed by Asghar Farhadi.  Starring Berenice Bejo, Tahar Rahim, Ali Mosaffa, Pauline Burlet, Elyes Aguis, Jeanne Jestin, Sabrina Ouazani and Babak Karimi.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "A thickly knotted and compelling tale, set in an unglamorous, working-class Paris, it churns with complex emotions, suspense, guilt, and regret."  -Steven Rea

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "I watched 13 films at the Atlantic Film Festival. Probably won't get around to writing down my thoughts, but here are some general groupings: Very Good/Excellent The Double Prisoners Blackfish The Past Jeune & Jolie" -Control

www.indiewire.jpeg

27. Fruitvale Station - 11 Points (2 votes, Highest Vote: RonL21 [#4]).

Directed by Ryan Coogler.  Starring Michael B. Jordan, Melonie Diaz, Octavia Spencer, Kevin Durand, Chad Michael Murray and Ahna O'Reilly.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "The intimacy of debut writer-director Ryan Coogler's approach to the film and the no-frills, believably real quality of the main performances combine to drive the senselessness of Oscar's killing home with visceral impact." -Bruce Ingram

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "After watching Fruitvale Station, I had to play GTA 5 as Trevor and gun down many many policemen." -J.T.

The-Wolverine.jpg

26. The Wolverine - 11 Points (3 votes, Highest Vote: The Natural [#3]).

Directed by James Mangold.  Starring Hugh Jackman, Tao Okamoto, Rila Fukushima, Hiroyuki Sanada, Svetlana Khodchenkova, Brian Tee, Hal Yamanouchi, Will Yun Lee, Ken Yamamura and Famke Janssen.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "Director James Mangold's film features some breathtakingly suspenseful action sequences, exquisite production and costume design and colorful characters, some of whom register more powerfully than others." -Christy Lemire.

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "I actually totally loved The Wolverine (!).  Thought the action sequences were well-done and actually vulnerable Wolvie was fun.  Was surprised at the depth of the drama and there was even a tinge of sexiness to the love story." -Caley

Ha my #1 and #2 are already gone. I figured not that many people would vote for The Past, but thought there was an outside chance Catching Fire would sneak on a few ballots.

I own Catching Fire and have yet to open it. Also, The Past is a case of living in a small town for me, which means I have no idea when I'll see it.

After A Separation, I really want to see all of that director's work.

26. The Wolverine - 11 Points (3 votes, Highest Vote: The Natural [#3]).

Directed by James Mangold.  Starring Hugh Jackman, Tao Okamoto, Rila Fukushima, Hiroyuki Sanada, Svetlana Khodchenkova, Brian Tee, Hal Yamanouchi, Will Yun Lee, Ken Yamamura and Famke Janssen.

Pleasantly surprised how I enjoyed this because the build to the film's release did little for me. Without looking at my ballot, I think it was the highest live action comic book film.

Blame me, I continued my annual tradition of not voting.

Damn man you couldve helped with Much Ado too!

This.

much.jpg

25. Much Ado About Nothing - 13 Points (2 Votes, Highest Vote: theonlyrice [#5]).

Directed by Joss Whedon.  Starring Amy Acker, Alex Denisof, Nathan Fillion, Clark Gregg, Reed Diamond, Fran Kranz, Jillian Morgese, Sean Maher and Spencer Treat Clark.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "Much Ado About Nothing is a delightfully spirited romp, filled with visual splendor, strong performances and flashes of post-modern absurdity."  -Claudia Puig

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing is the best film of the year and is the single greatest work of art that Whedon has ever created." -Jingus

Lone-Survivor.jpg

24. Lone Survivor (TIE) - 13 Points (2 Votes, Highest Vote: Fat Spanish Waiter [#4]).

Directed by Peter Berg.  Starring Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch, Ben Foster, Yousuf Azami, Ali Suliman, Eric Bana, Alexander Ludwig, Rich Ting and Dan Bilzerian.

WHAT CRITICS SAID: "Berg's fine achievement is in relaying that sense of abject danger even as he and his actors honor the utter connection of the men who lost their lives that day."  -Lisa Kennedy

WHAT DVDVR SAID: "Based on a true story, this is a terrific movie.  It kinda plays like an "Afghan version of Black Hawk Down" but with some twists.  The cast is excellent, including a nice turn by Taylor Kitsch, one of my favorites from the Friday Night Lights TV show.  Highly recommended - 8.5/10, maybe 9/10." -Tabe