DVDVR Message Board

All things Bond...James Bond. Bond 24 Title announced.

The Natural

Guest The Magnificent 7

I dont think that pistol has two barrels. Looks more like a laser sight/mini flashlight attachment on the left side.

Raziel is right. Laser sights and flashlights have gotten very small to where they either fit on the front rail or there are even sights that are internal to the guide rod. 

Sig226-Surefire-small-300x199.jpg50d987c3fc62e874fc392de0797f4c60f10428fb

Both pics above are a Sig P226. 

They certainly would not go on the slide itself, which moves pretty damn violently, and would likely damage the laser or light internals or reduce the longetivity of stuffing instead of potatoes.  

It's a two barreled gun. 

I do like in the posters that Bond is still using his trusty Walther PPK.  Let the bad guys use these crazy things while he gets the job done.

Also, uh, does that gun have two barrels?

Yes.  Unless I miss my guess, he appears to be packing the AF2011-A.  A dual-barrel pistol made by Arsenal Firearms.  Custom clips make the pistol a fairly practical if unwieldy weapon.

How you are supposed to rock two suppressors side by side is asshattery.

You don't.   Those pistol barrels are not threaded to be equipped with flash suppressors and the ejection ports are not positioned in a way to imply that the weapon has a gas chamber to support flash suppression.

Why are we picking on Spectre anyway?  It isn't the only movie that has guns that sacrifice logic for cool.

Take The Professional for example:

2112_4.jpg

Why does this pistol have a flash suppressor AND a compensator? The simple answer is "Hollywood."

The compensator defeats the purpose of the suppressor because a compensator expends gases laterally to reduce recoil. The flash that the suppressors are supposed to dampen would come out around the vents of the compensator.

Luc Besson was at least smart enough to figure this out during production because he deliberately included the scene where Leon unpacks his weapons and you can see that his suppressors are custom welded with a threaded barrel that extends past the compensator. 

This addresses the anomaly of the lack of muzzle flash from the compensator when the suppressor is in place, but it also means that when Leon is using his suppressors, there would be slightly more recoil because the compensator vents are blocked by the extended suppressor barrel.

Guest The Magnificent 7

Also, uh, does that gun have two barrels?

Yes.  Unless I miss my guess, he appears to be packing the AF2011-A.  A dual-barrel pistol made by Arsenal Firearms.  Custom clips magazines make the pistol a fairly practical if unwieldy weapon.

How you are supposed to rock two suppressors side by side is asshattery.

You don't.   Those pistol barrels are not threaded to be equipped with flash suppressors and the ejection ports are not positioned in a way to imply that the weapon has a gas chamber to support flash suppression.

I'd like to put that Arsenal through its paces and see if it holds up and is effective.  Seems pretty gimmicky and some safety concerns.   The plan was to make only 500 and is clearly a conversation piece.  I wouldn't trust my life on it, especially if James Bond is shooting at me.  Ha. I bet after this movie comes out, if they've had trouble selling those, that they'll sell them now.  It would probably be a NFA weapon, though. 

Also, I think you are confusing in my response a suppressor (sometimes referred to as a silencer) with a flash suppressor (which are common to carbine length firearms).  Plenty of suppressor (silencer) options for 1911 pistols.

The 1911 style Arsenal's barrels you mentioned I see on their site are definitely not threaded (as they are flush with the slide), but the bond pic is definitely different from the Arsenal site ones.  Looks threaded.  Probably modded even further for the film. Compare the Sig pics I posted above to this Sig with a threaded barrel (which still has the thread protector cap on it).  The Bond pic looks like it has threaded barrels compared to the flush to frame barrels (which about all modern semi-auto pistols after the P-38 use unless threaded) of the Arsenal one on their site.

M11-A1-TB-1.jpg

Leon is awesome. He can do whatever he wants.  ;)

Guest The Magnificent 7

Green-Hornet-Double-Desert-Eagle-Chudnof

Double Barrel Desert Eagle Motherfucker~!

Don't get me wrong, I'd be willing to shoot it, but would probably need an ice bucket handy for my hands afterwards. 

Guest The Magnificent 7

Ha, IMFDB already has a page on Spectre.  JT you were super close with your ID, just a slightly different model.  The AF2011 Dueller Prismatic is the firearm and pics are here. 

http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/af2011-dueller#

The barrels aren't threaded, but compensator instead (along with a ton of other bells and whistles).  This company definitely has the vibe of those fantasy swords that are functional (meaning they won't break if you hit a watermelon with them, but beyond that...), but mostly conversation pieces.  I hadn't heard of them before.

If someone can throw me 7 grand I'd happily do a review on this pistol.  :)

Ha, IMFDB already has a page on Spectre.  JT you were super close with your ID, just a slightly different model.  The AF2011 Dueller Prismatic is the firearm and pics are here. 

http://www.arsenalfirearms.com/products/af2011-dueller#

The barrels aren't threaded, but compensator instead (along with a ton of other bells and whistles).  This company definitely has the vibe of those fantasy swords that are functional (meaning they won't break if you hit a watermelon with them, but beyond that...), but mostly conversation pieces.  I hadn't heard of them before.

At least I got the manufacturer right.  It was hard to place by sight and I don't think that any of Arsenal's custom guns are featured in any of the Jane's publications I keep up with.

And yeah, Arsenal has carved out a niche for itself as one of the premier custom pistol fabricators.  The dual-barrel pistol is the stuff of conversation and Hollywood.  There is no way you would casually eject those clips in a gunfight.  They probably cost as much as the pistol itself.

Skyfall is by far my favorite of the Craig bond films, and the final act is probably one of my favorite action sequences out there.  If this movie is anywhere near as good I'll be satisfied.

I still want a spinoff of Kincaid doing awesome old man badass stuff.

Part of the Sony email leaks revealed that the third act of Spectre was a mess with nonsensical twists and a bad ending. They were well into production as they tried to fix that later part of the script.

I hope it turns out to be awesome, but I'm skeptical.

Glad they are tying back in to Quantum, Mr. White and all that business.  Thought it was over and done with.

Eventually it was going to happen.  Franchise needed the awesomeness of Skyfall to distract from QoS and then pick up the story again once the franchise was redeemed.

• 2 months later...

Just got an itch to watch the trailer for this myself, and I must admit I'm curious. It's a very interesting trailer. Toned down, lots of whispering in the shadows. I'm fine with Serious Bond if they are taking that kind of tone.

Monica Bellucci is 50? Jesus Christ. I love modern science so much.

• 1 month later...