DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: THE FINALS~! BRYAN vs. CESARO

DANIEL BRYAN vs. CESARO  

169 members have voted

1. 1. WHOSE CUISINE REIGNS SUPREME?

It was a hard choice with both guys having a fantastic year but I voted for Cesaro. Cesaro had a stellar year while wrestling up and down the card, every opportunity he was given, no matter how small, he made the best of. And true the same could be said about Bryan but Cesaro in my opinion, managed to stay neck and neck with Bryan in regards to being the best wrestler in the world without receiving Byran's push. Someone said it earlier but Cesaro matches feel like an event, you know he is going to pull something awesome out of his bag of tricks.

Whoever wins this tourney is more than deserving, I am just thankful we are living in an era where guys like Cesaro and Bryan get to have the runs they are having in the WWE.

I see the point when people say cesaro is less formulaic etc. but wrestling is best viewed live - people see bryan do the run the ropes -> duck clothesline -> tope sequence on tv, then when wwe is in town they see it live and pop in recognition. All of them.

I see the point when people say cesaro is less formulaic etc. but wrestling is best viewed live - people see bryan scotty 2 hotty rikishi new age outlaws hogan do the run the ropes -> duck clothesline -> tope sequence worm stinkface dX introduction hulk up on tv, then when wwe is in town they see it live and pop in recognition. All of them.

Fantastic thread. No one is a loser here obviously. There's been strong and valid points made for and against both gentlemen. I thoroughly enjoy and stop what I'm doing when both competitors are on my television or laptop screen.

I'm going to vote for Cesaro for two reasons:

A. He simply made me mark out like a 12-year-old more often than Bryan has since March 2013, and, really, that's one of the biggest reasons I still continually watch this great sport as a 32-year-old - those "moments", whether they were with Orton, Regal, Zayn or Cena.

And..

B. While always enjoying D-Bry's work throughout his career, I never really dug Claudio's indy stuff. The fact that he has basically made me do a complete 180 on my opinion of him over the past year is worth something to me.

Uh... so the argument is Bryan is Hogan? Please tell me more.

No, the argument is "Hey, the crowd pops for it." is a weak argument.

COASTING!?  Daniel Bryan has been doing something different EVERY ROUND!

How is Kane not in the finals?

No one watches the JBL & Cole Show.

No, your argument was "They see Bryan's formulaic comeback on TV, so they when they go to shows, they pop in recognition."  The same thing applied to my examples, as well as stuff like Mick Foley's "Right here, in cheap popsville" schtick or Rock telling someone to stick something up their ass.  

Compare that with the Cesaro Swing.  He sets that up and the crowd pops, because they recognize what is about to happen.  However, it doesn't always happen right away.  Sometimes the person escapes or if it is a tag match, the partner makes a save.  Cesaro builds up the crowd's anticipation for it so that when he finally hits it, it means something.

Ignoring the fact that you're name-dropping people who drew shitloads, I was careful to point out that Bryan has had a great year in-ring whilst incorporating certain qualities that resonate with the mainstream. Just read it once more, I think you'll get it the third time.

And I do understand what delayed gratification is, I haven't indicated otherwise. Your point in favour of cesaro is pretty shallow in that even in-ring turds do that stuff - all matches bar squashes have counters and momentum shifts. Cesaro is a lot better than just that.

There's also the fact that you're apparently unironically comparing one of Bryan's comeback spots to the Worm, the Stinkface, the NAO intro, and Hulking up.

It's a less valid comparison than FSW comparing Cesaro's uppercut to a boxing uppercut, and he's trolling.

People are actually faulting Bryan for having the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand.

If only Bryan didn't have to carry the company on his back for the last 8 months and routinely wrestle twice in one night in captivating matches. Being lower down the card would have afforded him the opportunity to drop in to NXT to wrestle the Regals and Zayns of the world and this voting could look a lot different.

Wait, it was an advantage for Cesaro to wrestle C-Shows and developmental territories, and a disadvantage for Bryan to main event ppv's against Cena and Orton, and work weekly against The Shield?  WTF?  Is that actually an argument being advanced in this thread?

This is what I initially responded to:

I see the point when people say cesaro is less formulaic etc. but wrestling is best viewed live - people see bryan do the run the ropes -> duck clothesline -> tope sequence on tv, then when wwe is in town they see it live and pop in recognition. All of them.

This also went on to say that while Cesaro was a better "mechanic", Bryan was unquestionably the star.

Something being over does not mean it is good, which is where I was going with my reductio ad absurdum. Hogan was unquestionably the bigger star, but would he win over Flair or Macho? No. I find it ironic that many (obviously not all) vocal Bryan supporters are unironically pointing to his position on the card and level of overness as if that was some sort of conclusive proof of de facto greatness. To play armchair shrink, it is almost as if they're getting some sort of personal validation from saying "See, this guy that we touted forever as the best is finally getting recognized by the masses! I was right all along!"

I'm pretty sure it's no coincidence that everyone I consider to be an awful* person** is voting for Cesaro.

* I am not saying that everyone who voted Cesaro is an awful person. I'm just saying that all the awful people are voting for Cesaro.

** And if you're going to bring up FSW, I don't consider him to be a person.

People are actually faulting Bryan for having the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand.

If only Bryan didn't have to carry the company on his back for the last 8 months and routinely wrestle twice in one night in captivating matches. Being lower down the card would have afforded him the opportunity to drop in to NXT to wrestle the Regals and Zayns of the world and this voting could look a lot different.

It isn't faulting him for being over, it just isn't accepting that as proof of being better than Cesaro.

Also, If I've read mookie's stuff right, Bryan isn't really carrying the company.