DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: FINAL FOUR: GOLDUST vs. DANIEL BRYAN

GOLDUST vs. DANIEL BRYAN  

141 members have voted

1. 1. CAN DANIEL BRYAN BE STOPPED?!?!

Tough vote here.. but I have to go with Goldust because.. let's put it this way. No one expected that Goldust in 2013 would come back and have some absolutely jaw dropping, stunning,  great matches.

To paraphrase above: Bryan's hit for average (let's compare it to say.. a .350 average)  for most of the year, but Goldust has had a half year of "Do not look directly at Goldust or you will go blind from the light/heat" hot streak. (I'd say a .450/.500 average with power and steals)

And while it shouldn't, I think to myself.. this time next year Goldust will have said "That's enough, I'm done", while Daniel Bryan will once again be here.

But on the other hand, if Bryan wins again this year we can probably just name the tournament after him and retire him.

It'll be nothing short of hilarious if Bryan doesn't win, given he's had a better year than he did each and every one of the years where he DID win.

I did not see any wrestling in 2013. But I voted for Dustin anyway because there is nothing Bryan could have done - not even Brie - that's as cool as the Dustin telling the story about how he and Terri bought his lingerie for Mania 12. And then calling Dusty to see who he thinks would win in a Dustin vs Cody match.

Okay, doing Brie might trump those two things. But I don't care. Goldust is still way cooler.

How many promos has Goldust actually cut during the period? Can we really be voting based on "potential promo ability"? Bryan has cut a promo almost every week. He's not the best on the roster at it, but he's also not Dolph Zigglering his promo opportunities.

Exhibit A for my argument: Kane. How is it that that he was consistently having good-to-great matches after being paired with Daniel Bryan when he's been worthless in basically every singles match he's ever had? Was it a reflection of some previously undiscovered talent for tag wrestling? Or was it a reflection of the fact that he didn't have to do as much and thus had less opportunity to drag the matches down?

Kane is a severely underrated wrestler on this forum.

• Like 1

This definitely isn't Dustin's best run,1994 was much better.

That said, I think the two state near equal, but the Cena match and the whole year thing tip it to Bryan.

Matt will have to take your word for it, since he refuses to watch 1994 WCW.

The problem with Bryan's promos is he actually seems like a pretty happy dude.

Raging against the machine works for Punk the last few years or HHH in '99 because in their minds, they actually believe they should be the top guy forever and ever and are underappreciated by management/the fans. They have that well to tap into.

Bryan, on the other hand, seems chill as fuck. This makes him probably cooler to hang out with, but less believable as a pissed-off dude angry at people for holding him down. 

If Bryan were cutting regular face promos where he just made fun of the heels, he'd be fine. He cut a nice one making fun of Batista. It's just that in this role, he doesn't work as well. 

Cesaro is actually pretty great when he does the hybrid foreign language/english promos for the International feeds.

Check out his expression and how much of a general dick he is to the NAO, and then the cocky swagger after they leave.

Exhibit A for my argument: Kane. How is it that that he was consistently having good-to-great matches after being paired with Daniel Bryan when he's been worthless in basically every singles match he's ever had? Was it a reflection of some previously undiscovered talent for tag wrestling? Or was it a reflection of the fact that he didn't have to do as much and thus had less opportunity to drag the matches down?

Also, "working the apron" is the most overrated skill in the history of wrestling.

In which ways would you say Kane was comparable to Dustin as a tag worker other than "they had good matches?"

I'm not comparing the two. I'm simply making the point that, for an individual wrestler, having good tag matches is easier than having good singles matches.

Good tag teams require good timing together. Kane and Bryan had stuff they did together that utilized both strengths. Sometimes they'd even role reversal with Bryan being the monster to save Kane's ass. Kane actually did a lot of work in those tag matches, so I can't buy an argument that he was protected from doing "half the work".

Nor can I buy that any tag team partner is doing half of anything. It's a different story format.

So why don't Kane's supposed strengths translate to his singles matches?

Sometimes I feel like I'm a bad person for hating people for having different tastes in wrestling. If someone asked me how many DVDvR posters were pieces of shit I wouldn't say 86. It has to be less. Something is off.

Maybe I should say maybe you're right. Maybe I'm too wild. Maybe I'm too extreme. Too out of control. Too full of my own shit.

Or maybe I can say FUCK YOU, YOURE WRONG.

Thank Dustin for all he has done to put the Rhodes family on the map. For being unselfish in selfish times. For taking the young guys and showing them a better way to kick people in the genitals and not get disqualified.

Cesaro is actually pretty great when he does the hybrid foreign language/english promos for the International feeds.

Check out his expression and how much of a general dick he is to the NAO, and then the cocky swagger after they leave.

That News Age Outlaws one is fantastic. I mean I don't understand German, but just the mannerisms, the tone of his voice, it's great.

• Like 1

They have. He's had plenty of good singles matches over his career. Granted he's also had some brutal stretches of plodding unmotivated crap, but he's not a bad wrestler. 

Additionally, Kofi Kingston isn't better in tags than he is in singles. Hell, he may even be worse.

Sometimes I feel like I'm a bad person for hating people for having different tastes in wrestling. If someone asked me how many DVDvR posters were pieces of shit I wouldn't say 86. It has to be less. Something is off.

Maybe I should say maybe you're right. Maybe I'm too wild. Maybe I'm too extreme. Too out of control. Too full of my own shit.

Or maybe I can say FUCK YOU, YOURE WRONG.

Thank Dustin for all he has done to put the Rhodes family on the map. For being unselfish in selfish times. For taking the young guys and showing them a better way to kick people in the genitals and not get disqualified.

I have a sudden thirst for Kool-aid.

They have. He's had plenty of good singles matches over his career. Granted he's also had some brutal stretches of plodding unmotivated crap, but he's not a bad wrestler. 

Additionally, Kofi Kingston isn't better in tags than he is in singles. Hell, he may even be worse.

And the Bryan team would not even be in Kane's top three tag teams.