DVDVR Message Board

Defending the Indefensible: Bad Games You Love

Pretty much exactly what the title says.  The "Bad/Underrated Movies" thread was fun, but it devolved into a good deal of arguing about whether film X was actually bad or not, and whether not-bad movies were actually underrated.  So for this, I wanted to limit the topic a little more.  I want to know what games you KNOW are bad, but you don't care.

First best example for me is Spaltterhouse PS3.  I beat it twice, and all the way through I was astonished at the sloppy controls, generic enemies and general indecisiveness as to how it should mix campy and creepy.  And yet, I loved every minute of it for precisely because of the campy/creepy mix, because of Jim Cummings's off-the-wall performance as the Voice of the Mask, and its general turn-off-your-brain-and-kill-shit nature.

I have great nostalgia for Fighting Force. Part of it is because I used to play it with my cousin all the time and another part is that the running attack animations look great. 

I don't remember Die Hard Vendetta being a particularly good FPS but for some reason, the levels and the shooting were tremendous fun to me. 

JT's next post should be "I am the only person who likes Alpha Protocol"

The problem with that is that the people that loved shitty Alpha Protocol did not think it was a bad game when actually it was.  They are like a cult.

I believe my answer would have to be Crackdown

Though I know it will change to Crackdown 2 once I ever play it (since I know eventually I can hold out and get Crackdown 2 for a dollar. Fuck at some point - someone will probably pay me to play it)

Yup. Running over people while Fear Factor plays was pretty good to me. I played the mobile version recently and it's still a decent game.

My vote is for Pit Fighter. Though I will grant that the SNES version is an abortion.

• Like 1

I believe my answer would have to be Crackdown

Though I know it will change to Crackdown 2 once I ever play it (since I know eventually I can hold out and get Crackdown 2 for a dollar. Fuck at some point - someone will probably pay me to play it)

Crackdown was good though right? 

My answer Kung Fu Chaos, which was some party game with a borderline racist kung fu theme for the original Xbox.  Me and my friends drank beers and played that shit for hours, and it sucked but we liked it.

Not sure if this qualifies, but I loved me some mercenaries 2(I'm pretty sure I played it on the 360).  Basically a sandbox game, but if calling in air raids is wrong, I don't ever want to be right. . . 

I love 'Crackdown'.  It's my go-to game whenever I get fed up with getting killed in "better" games like GTA or Fallout.

Speaking of Fallout, I know 'New Vegas' was looked upon as kind of a half-assed, glitchy letdown but I LOVE that game.  Even as I type this, I'm thinking of starting another game and playing through it again.

I guess the game that best fits this category is 'Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom' which was a ridiculous first-person RPG/not really game for the NES where you have to "Look" and "Search" and "Hit" to find clues and stuff.  I remember renting it with my cousins and brother and sister and we just played for HOURS and got to the last level but never quite finished it.  A few years ago my brother downloaded a ROM and we played almost the whole way through again.

A Boy and His Blob for NES was objectively terrible but I really loved it.  Very odd and creative.

Just Cause 2 is repetitive and does so many things badly but I love just tooling around the world and blowing stuff up.

Oh, God, the so bad it is awesome Just Cause with its shitty driving and the crazy game mechanics that made it easier to attack tanks on foot rather than using another vehicle.

• Like 1

I have seen no proof that anyone has ever beaten NES game Shingen the Ruler without cheating.

There was a NES game called Monster Truck Rally that I absolutely loved beyond all reason, just because it had a custom track designer years before that was a normal thing for a console game. The racing itself wasn't that great and was fairly easy. I played it endlessly as a kid though.

Just Cause is a good one. The only reason I stopped playing it was the bizarre, annoying bug I and a lot of others have where you get cops following you constantly trying to kill you even without a wanted level (that part I could actually live with) that's also accompanied by a super-annoying audio glitch where you hear lines like "STOP, POLICIA!" as if they're coming from right on top of you even though no one is there (that part I couldn't). Also, the way that you'd be walking around and a car would bump you at 2 miles an hour and it was an insta-death was indefensibly awful. But before I put it down, honestly it was kinda fun. It's just, you know, stupid and broken. The parts where you would engage in the civil war in the various cities was way more fun than any GTA rampage ever was.

Pit Fighter's a great one too. That game was ass but I liked it anyway. I got about three quarters of the way through in in the arcade just by picking the karate guy and mashing all three buttons for that flying kick thing. That was literally the only move I knew.

I'm waiting for someone to have the courage to admit that GTA: Vice City belongs here. Some of the mission design in that game is laughably shit. That game is 95% interesting characters 5% good gameplay.

Good God, I've never heard anyone praise Deadly Towers in any way before. I'm going to have to say Bad Dudes. It was fucking terrible in every way, and I ate it up as a kid. I mean goddamn, ninjas kidnapping presidents and this General wants to know if I'm bad enough to help?!? Where do I sign up??

• Like 2

I love 'Crackdown'.  It's my go-to game whenever I get fed up with getting killed in "better" games like GTA or Fallout.

Speaking of Fallout, I know 'New Vegas' was looked upon as kind of a half-assed, glitchy letdown but I LOVE that game.  Even as I type this, I'm thinking of starting another game and playing through it again.

New Vegas had more features I liked about it (being able to make weapon repair kits/all kinds of grenades & mines/food & healing items, much better follower AI, the companion wheel, etc) but even with the last patch it's still glitchy as hell and makes my xbox freeze up a lot (hint: if it starts lagging on you real bad, wait for 7 straight in game days, that seems to clear it up). I started a new Fallout 3 playthrough and I'm at level 20 with nary a freeze yet.