DVDVR Message Board

NEW Metallica song - "The Lords of Summer"

Zakk_Sabbath

This looks to be the best quality available:

I'm pretty impressed. I liked this much more than anything on Death Magnetic, even judging by some dude's cell phone recording. That harmony part near the middle-end is as old-school as it comes. The song to me is like if Leper Messiah was written in the '90s. The riffs are very good together and not at all disjointed like parts of DM; they definitely used AJFA and black as source material here. The new Sabbath suffered from the same thing, so I've gotta assume that's Rick Rubin guidance. I'd love if they would get an Andy Sneap or a Roy Z in there. Shit, could even Bob Rock do any worse than St. Anger? Soundboard version should be available from LiveMetallica in the next couple of days.

• Like 3

I liked the song. The double bass parts sounded really good which is always a plus. For the longest time people used to rail on Lars for getting lazy (well for him even) and for the last few years he has been playing his ass off on a lot of these songs. It should be interesting to see if the song changes any in subsequent performances.

Lars said in an interview that much like The New Song from 2006 (people called it Death Is Not The End) that it might not even make the album. They ended up breaking that one in half and part of it went to All Nightmare Long and the other half to The End Of The Line. Still, its looking good for the new album.

• Like 1

Here's the "garage demo" version that was included with the live show on LiveMetallica.com. Really, really digging it.

EDIT: Just thinking after reading Phantom Lord's post, Death is Not the End was pretty cool, but did anyone else think Vulturous was pretty duke? I think the Whoooooaaaaaaa yeahhhhhhhhhh was like, something a band doing a Metallica parody would do. But this.... this shit right here? Awesome.

• Like 2

I think they were going for a punk song with Vulturas. Its also entirely possible that Hetfield said fuck it and and only came up with the chorus.

The demo of Lords of Summer is really great. But my God do I hate Lars use of that damn China ride with his drumming.

• Like 1

Just a little something to hopefully cheer up any metal bros here who are bummed about Dave Brockie's passing-- another new Metallica cut. This is the Ronnie Rising Medley from the "This Is Your Life" tribute album to Dio-- four Rainbow-era tunes:

These guys are firing on all cylinders. 2015 can't come soon enough.