DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: ELITE EIGHT - CENA vs. REIGNS

JOHN CENA vs. ROMAN REIGNS  

136 members have voted

1. 1. THE FRANCHISE vs. THE FUTURE FRANCHISE

I've tried to be fair in my voting. I've abstained from voting in matchups involving guys I'm not familiar with, since I don't have time to do the necessary research to make an informed opinion. So I feel as if I deserve to cast at least one vote out of spite. And man, did I hate that title match at the Rumble.

Reigns sold a Big Show spear for roughly eight seconds once. Only Vic and I noticed.
How long did Cena sell Orton's Attitude Adjustment and STF at the Rumble?
Is Orton Big Show now?

SPITE.

It's hard to make a real apples-to-apples comparison because all of Cena's best work is in singles matches, and all of Reigns' best work has been in tags, (with the arguable exception of the Royal Rumble). I don't think Reigns should be PENALIZED for this, per se, but I do think Reigns is still just a touch green, and that his singles matches expose this, especially against non-elite competition e.g. Bray Wyatt. I did like the Reigns/Punk match quite a lot, but I feel like Punk was the one who made that great, while Roman just held up his end.

Cena never sells because his comedy promos heal him so he's never injured. Calling someone 'jack' is like a tonic, suggesting they have a fictional character gimmick is a hi potion, and saying poopy is a megalixer that he has only used once because he was low on health and Cryme Tyme needed their MP replenished. 

• Like 3

If there was no shield this last year...imagine how excruciating it would have been to get through week after week.

Imagine there's no Cena for the year.  I'd miss seeing Bryan beat him with that kick, but apart from that  's pretty good. 

's pretty. good.

• Like 2

I would like to throw in how good Cena was in the various six-mans he did. Him just being the most fired-up babyface ever on the apron was always great. Cena went up and down the card going against big guys, small guys, comedy guys, brawlers, scientific etc. and delivered. The downside might be that Cena gets a bit into the Hogan-formular of sell, sell, sell, comeback, finish, but Reigns in his six-man tags really has less to do than the other guys. Usually Rollins works the bulk of the match and does the highspots, and Reigns comes in for the big bruiser spots.

Also, The Shield did benefit from wrestling against the other best workers in the company every night. They perenially got Bryan, the Usos, the Rhodes, Rey etc. Cena had less to work with.

I wonder that if the Orton Rumble match had gotten over like it did at house shows would people re-evaluate both guys?

Did everyone forget that Cena had incredible singles matches with basically every one of the new generation's best guys in the last year? Matches with Bryan, Rollins, Cesaro and even Sandow were all excellent. What did Reigns do that was anywhere near the level of those matches?

And don't say fucking baby girl to me

• Like 3

Did everyone forget that Cena had incredible singles matches with basically every one of the new generation's best guys in the last year? Matches with Bryan, Rollins, Cesaro and even Sandow were all excellent. What did Reigns do that was anywhere near the level of those matches?

And don't say fucking baby girl to me

Reigns hit super man punches and flipped his hair in ways that made us all feel funny and it was leaps and bounds better than more Cena matches.

Cena has many great singles matches (and some good tag matches as well) and thus Reigns would need to have a ridiculous amount of high-end tag matches to balance and surpass Cena's workload.

Considering Roman Reigns would be in 42 of the 50* best television matches of the past 12 months, I think that he's got the volume and quality to do it.

*not an actual statistic.  I made that shit up.

I will acknowledge that there have been so many awesome Shield matches that I may have lost some perspective. It's easy to point to the recent Cena-Cesaro match. It's harder when a group has been in awesome matches week after week after week with the same handful of opponents. All the matches end up meshing together.

I will acknowledge that there have been so many awesome Shield matches that I may have lost some perspective. It's easy to point to the recent Cena-Cesaro match. It's harder when a group has been in awesome matches week after week after week with the same handful of opponents. All the matches end up meshing together.

Always go with mesh.  Accept on your transvaginal area. 

I learned this from t.v.

Reigns' work in the Survivor Series match was pretty damn boss. Go back and watch him sell the situation and then immediately game plan a way to protect himself and win the match. It really shows that he has an awareness for telling a story and he utilizes his body language and wrestling to enhance that story, really well. He also does this in tag matches where he is constantly engaged and reacting to what's happening in the ring. He's not just an improviser sitting on the back line waiting to tag in and start his scene. He's always apart of the scene, and always "Yes And'ing"

John Cena is the suck, bubba.

• Like 4

Reigns' work in the Survivor Series match was pretty damn boss. Go back and watch him sell the situation and then immediately game plan a way to protect himself and win the match. It really shows that he has an awareness for telling a story and he utilizes his body language and wrestling to enhance that story, really well. He also does this in tag matches where he is constantly engaged and reacting to what's happening in the ring. He's not just an improviser sitting on the back line waiting to tag in and start his scene. He's always apart of the scene, and always "Yes And'ing"

John Cena is the suck, bubba.

That's a hard sell right there.

In-ring it is very close but Cena's shitty character work made this an easier choice for me. I can't blame the writing. Cena can override anything he wants to so I can tie the terrible comedy and no-selling of big angles and characters directly to him.

If you vote for Cena it means you hate kayfabe.

• Like 1