DVDVR Message Board

DVDVRMM: ELITE EIGHT - ROLLINS vs. CESARO

SETH ROLLINS vs. CESARO  

127 members have voted

1. 1. Has this match happened?

I really like Rollins, certainly way more than I ever thought I would.

But he didn't have the year Cesaro had.

I have been saving my big Cesaro pitch for a round where he really needs it and it doesn't look like it is going to be this round.  Having said that in my view he has been the best guy in the world during the time period covered by this tournament.  

• Like 1

I kind of want to pull the trigger for Rollins on this. I love that dude so much and there were definitely times this year where I thought he was better than Cesaro. But the end comes down to this: Cesaro had that few weeks where he had a crazy match that we might not ever see again with Regal, the Randy match, the Cena match and then wrestled as an ace against Sami. And then he went seemless right back into a mid-card tag kinda comedy act right after all of that.

I love Rollins and in another bracket he'd go a little further.

1    AAW Reign of Violence 2008

4. Oktober 2008 @ Eagles Club in Berwyn, Illinois (United States of America)

Tyler Black © defeated Claudio Castagnoli [AAW Heavyweight Title Match]

2    ROH Aries vs. Richards

13. November 2009 @ Rock Financial Showplace in Novi, Michigan (United States of America)

Tyler Black defeated Claudio Castagnoli [Pick 6 Challenge Match]

3    ROH The Bluegrass Brawl

22. Juli 2010 @ Davis Arena in Louisville, Kentucky (United States of America)

Tyler Black defeated Claudio Castagnoli

4    FCW TV-Taping @ Winter Park

7. Dezember 2011 @ Full Sail University in Winter Park, Florida (United States of America)

Antonio Cesaro defeated Seth Rollins

5    FCW @ Lake City

3. März 2012 @ Florida Gateway College Gym in Lake City, Florida (United States of America)

Seth Rollins © defeated Antonio Cesaro [Lumberjack Match - FCW Florida Heavyweight Title Match]

6    FCW @ Tampa

22. März 2012 @ Tampa Arena in Tampa, Florida (United States of America)

Seth Rollins © defeated Antonio Cesaro [FCW Florida Heavyweight Title Match]

Aha, then no it hasn't. 2012 is the most recent. I can't imagine their match in 2008 since both guys were drastically different than they are now. Claudio was still good in his different ways, but Rollins was what you'd think he was.

This might be the toughest matchup in the elite 8. With everything in me, I want to vote Rollins, but I don't find him as entertaining as the other two guys in the shield, and the Kaitlyn hairdo doesn't do it for me. Everything Cesaro has done this year has been at least fun, if not outright fantastic. 

I love both these guys. I went with Rollins because he's been my favorite part of The Shield and they were my favorite thing in wrestling all year. Cesaro is stomping him, and I get why. His highs have been unquestionably higher. This is probably the first vote I can't defend to myself on a logical level...Cesaro IS better, but I just like Rollins more.

Voting for Rollins. Cesaro is better overall, and has been on a hell of a roll the past few months. But I really feel like it's only

been in the past few months since he started using the giant swing as a highspot that he's been doing anything really memorable. Before that he was just kind of hanging out in the midcard, having good matches but not setting the world on fire. But I can name at least a dozen awesome matches or moments from Rollins scattered throughout the whole year.

Rollins has had more of a chance to shine throughout the year but Cesaro's highs have been higher. I guess I'll go with Antonio here, but I really want to vote for Rollins. I think that Cesaro's NXT work put him over. Also, Rollins did work Bryan something like 76 times last year, so he had better dance partners. Shit, Cesaro had an epic on Main Event with Kofi.

Rollins has had more of a chance to shine throughout the year but Cesaro's highs have been higher. I guess I'll go with Antonio here, but I really want to vote for Rollins. I think that Cesaro's NXT work put him over. Also, Rollins did work Bryan something like 76 times last year, so he had better dance partners. Shit, Cesaro had an epic on Main Event with Kofi.

To be fair, Cesaro is the only wrestler on the planet were I knew for a fact Kofi would have a good match with him: Cesaro can have something good with any high flyer ever. Kofi is actually a great fit for him.

Please note, the above is a big part of the reason why Cesaro should win the entire thing. I still voted or Rollins, cause I thought he was outstanding all year and wasn't gonna win.

• Like 1

Cesaro just barely edges it out based on me actually remembering specific moments of why I loved his year so much.  His little "We the people" to a guy in the audience in the match against Orton, his crazy deadlifty snapmare thing to Regal, Cena having to bust out weird stuff like a lariat and a roll to pick him up in the AA. There were tons of individual moments alongside the great matches that I remember whereas Rollins it's more of a general "He was really good." It's nitpicking, but in a vote this close that's what you have to do.

If they hold steady on Rollins and he stays on fire in the ring, I reckon he is in with a shot of going further next year, particularly if Punk remains gone!  If you had asked me 3-4 years ago would Rollins be in the top 8 guys in WWE in 2013/14 I would have laughed so hard.  He has been brilliant.

But not as brilliant as Cesaro.

If any one member of The Shield deserves to be in the Final Four, it's Rollins.

That being said...the vote here is Cesaro.

No question.

Tough, tough draw Seth. You were pretty awesome this year.

But CESARO.

I'm running with the hive mind here.

Rollins impressed the ever living fuck out of me this year, after being "just the athletic dude" at this time last year.  The Bryan and Cena singles matches were fantastic.

But you know who had better matches with Bryan and Cena?  Antonio Cesaro, that's who!

I have been saving my big Cesaro pitch for a round where he really needs it and it doesn't look like it is going to be this round.  Having said that in my view he has been the best guy in the world during the time period covered by this tournament.  

You have to get the pitch in before the round he needs it since a lot of people vote before reading.

You have to get the pitch in before the round he needs it since a lot of people vote before reading.

Hell, I found out this year that some people vote without even reading what they're voting for.

• Like 2