DVDVR Message Board

[DVDVRMC] ALIENS (Cameron, 1986)

Jingus

I am unfamiliar with that particular "Fox fucks up yet another seemingly can't-miss hit by just being their evil stupid greedy selves" horror story. Can someone elaborate? (I always think of Jon Lovitz saying it best on some talk show after The Critic was cancelled; "Fox, they should spell it with a U!")

You can read a big story about it here.

But here's the pertinent quote from the man himself:

Blomkamp’s relationship with Fox was particularly fraught. The way the deal was split between three major corporations and a handful of Hollywood producers caused several unusual imbalances in terms of power. “The way Fox dealt with me was not cool. Right from the beginning, when Mary [Parent, Universal’s former president of production turned Halo producer] hired me up until the end when it collapsed, they treated me like shit; they were just a crappy studio. I’ll never ever work with Fox ever again because of what happened to Halo – unless they pay me some ungodly amount of money and I have absolute fucking control.”

So I'm guessing that's what he's really waiting on.

It worked out much better for his career that Halo movie never happened.  If the movie was bad and it tanked, it could've ruined his career and made him basically Carl Rinsch.  

I just don't get any sense why that film could have worked.  A Halo movie hasn't gotten off the ground since.

• 2 weeks later...

Cinephiles (god I hate that word, so pretentious) and citizens among us, what are the best current websites that keep tabs on the industry?

Bueller?

Also, check out this fun fan-made film from the Brits: