DVDVR Message Board

Squash Match Directory

Borrowing an idea from the UKFF here. Everyone loves a good squash match, right? We rarely get them these days, and if we do with any regularity, they're pretty much reserved for one guy at a time - ie if Ryback is getting matches with local talent then pretty nobody else on the roster will be. I propose a tribute here, post the best squashes you can find, or indeed reminisce about your favourites that might not be online. I'll keep track of the best in this post, using as the title says, a directory. Hopefully a few forgotten gems of a lost art form will be uncovered.

So, go! I'll start with a couple in the next post...

Squash Match Directory

A

Abdullah the Butcher

vs Jeff Michaels, Brandon Gatson and John Orshow (ECW, 31st Jun 07)

vs Colin Delaney (ECW, 1st Jan 08)

W

Koko Ware

vs The Masked Patriot (CWA, 1st Sep 86)

Warlord

vs Scott Colantonio (WWF Superstars of Wrestling, 16th Jun 90)

Steve "Dr Death" Williams

w/ Terry Gordy vs The O'Days (WCW COTC XIX)

w/ Terry Gordy vs Stan Hansen and Joel Deaton (AJPW, 3rd June 93)

vs The Hardy Boys (WWF Heat, 21st Mar 99)

Y

Yokozuna

vs Scott Taylor and Mike Davis (Raw, 2nd May 94)

• Like 1

Mike Knox vs Colin Delaney - ECW 15th April 08

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x53l3u_colin-delaney-vs-mike-knox-pressing_sport#.UewZaW0pjag

I had the pleasure of being in the crowd for this one, but you really need the camera angles to see the brutality here. Knox beats the buggery out of Colin, who had a great little run on ECW being the resident bump machine for WWE's impressive roster of monsters. Of all of them, this is probably my favourite - Delaney seems quite happy to bump on his head for Knox's offense, which includes a lovely back suplex. Colin gets precisely nothing in here, which I'm fine with. His role in this was to die.

-----

Kurt Angle vs Roderick Strong - Smackdown 13th Jan 05

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8neeq_roderick-strong-vs-kurt-angle_sport#.UewdLW0pjag

If Angle had worked in another era, I think he would have been the undisputed king of the squash match. I'm no fan of his "epic" 20-30 minute matches, but give him three minutes and he'll destroy folk with a pretty awesome display of moves. I think Fit Finlay has said that he worked with Angle as some point, and it shows here - I love Kurt paintbrushing Strong with slaps, and the knee to Roddy's face is straight out of the Finlay playbook. Meaning it's awesome and hurty looking. This is for Kurt's medal, and he gives Strong just a little to make it seem that the nobody might actually pull it off. But in reality, Roderick is just here for the beating.

-----

The Headshrinkers vs Tony Roy and Mike Davis - Wrestling Challenge 19th Sep 93

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5PlJyMk89s

This a pretty good squash match. Typical stuff that you'd expect out of the Samoans, nothing out of the ordinary. Until the SPLASH FROM THE TOP ROPE TO THE FLOOR! Good lord - that was something else, especially for a WWF C-Show in 1993.

• Like 3

That Koko one is immense, he slaps the fella during the pinfall. That's some good squashing. Speaking of which...

Rick Steiner vs Lash Leroux - WCW Nitro, 19th February 2001

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH9LGymaEgw

This is an absolute shitkicking. Steiner takes offense to a fan shouting at him, so in retaliation, he picks up Leroux and launches him into the crowd towards said fan. And that's just the beginning. This also has Mike Tenay trying to be a heel on commentary.

Big John Studd vs. Chris Duffy & Mitch Carey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwTwsqhE02w

I've watched a lot of squashes on youtube in the name of Firepro CAW moveset-building, and Studd's squash matches (at least the late-80's face ones) tend to be fun since he'd do stuff besides standard WWF big guy clubbering. Here he whips out an Oklahoma Roll of all things, in addition to a great butterfly suplex.

Koko Ware vs. The Patriot (CWA) - Koko murders the poor guy with a sick clothesline, stiff kicks and the brainbuster. Stiff as fudge.

I remember talking about this in the Memphis viewing thread and thinking that the Patriot must've said something about Koko's mother or called him a REALLY bad name  to take a ass-whuppin' like that.  Good grief....

BTW, this is officially my favorite thread.

In the always hilarious category of "jobbers that might not have had any actual training":

Bad News Brown vs. Steve Reese

or Sgt. Slaughter vs. Paul Fisher (and savour the dulcet tones of Joe McHugh mentions that Fisher his first appearance in the arena)

• Like 1

Paul Orndorff vs Rudy Diamond.

I remember watching this when I was a kid, and realizing it doesn't seem to be a good idea to piss Mr. Wonderful off. 

Mr. Diamond did ask for it by rocking that tight-ass "PAULA" t-shirt...

Edited by MADCAP

Eric Embry vs. Invader III (WWC 1986)

This may be the longest squash match ever. I mean, if you even wanna call it a squash match, but it really is. Embry's valet is locked in a cage (PRO WRESTLING!) so he can't cheat, and Invader destroys him in the process. You think that kind of match would be hard to pull off for so long but Embry is seriously great here, and this is a weird albeit great way to book a babyface getting comeuppance on a heel (and even weirder that it's happening like this in Puerto Rico).

Jim Cornette has the MX take out his rage on the Mulkeys for reasons explained at the top of the clip. 4:30 for Bobby Eaton killing Bill Mulkey with death.

Rick Rude vs. Mark Starr (WCW Saturday Night 5/14/94)

I think this may be Rude's final televised match, as it was taped before but aired after his career-ending injury. The great thing here is that it looks like Rude gets legitimately pissed about Starr catching his opening kick, so he just kind of hops on one leg for about five seconds, then proceeds to stiff the fuck out of Starr for the next couple minutes.

• Like 2

Rick Rude vs. Mark Starr (WCW Saturday Night 5/14/94)

I think this may be Rude's final televised match, as it was taped before but aired after his career-ending injury. The great thing here is that it looks like Rude gets legitimately pissed about Starr catching his opening kick, so he just kind of hops on one leg for about five seconds, then proceeds to stiff the fuck out of Starr for the next couple minutes.
Wow. He sold nothing Starr did. Good callout! Did Rude normally stick a piledriver in his matches randomly ? Those open hand slaps looked painful too.

Wow. He sold nothing Starr did. Good callout!Did Rude normally stick a piledriver in his matches randomly ? Those open hand slaps looked painful too.

Yeah the piledriver was a regular part of Rude's squash repertoire going back at least to his WWF days.

And Charlie M., I agree on Rude's WCW squashes being better, since they were more about getting Rude over as vicious, where his WWF squashes were usually about getting him over as arrogant.