DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

So I'm watching old episodes of Memphis wrestling and I came across this(start at 38:20):

Doesn't this put the story about Lawler first meeting Harris backstage and sending him home so he could create the Kamala gimmick because no one had ever seen him before, at odds?

Love the funky commercial music at 2:02 :)

I don't recall Triple H double crossing Rock on promos.  Of course, at the time I probably loved anyone burying Rocky.  I wouldn't have worked with Shawn during that frame either though, to be quite honest.

On Austin's podcast, Pritchard said something to the effect that Rock would stick to the agreed upon talking points/lines while Trips would ad lib and try to get himself over at Rock's expense.

Wasn't Shawn a giant pill-head at the time?  This is pre-Jesus Shawn we are talking about, correct?

Yeah, The Rock-HBK thing goes back even before Rock joined the WWE.  Supposedly, their first meeting was on a wrestling show promoted by Rock's relatives, and Shawn was an asshat and treated Rock's grandmother obnoxiously.  That led to some sort of confrontation and Rock - who was a teenager then - nearly went after Shawn.

When Rock got to the WWE, Shawn supposedly treated Rock poorly and played politics with him to try to sabotage his career.  Bret Hart talked about it some in his book.  People were talking up Triple H or Rock as the future of the company, and since Hunter was aligned with HBK, they used their "backstage powarz" to make things tough for Rock.  IIRC, HBK either tried to get a finish changed when Rock was IC champ to cost him the belt, or actually did.  Anyway, Rock felt they were trying to bury him him (they probably were).

So from what I've gathered over the years and from some of the stuff that I've seen in both territories, USWA and Global are really the bastard children of World Class and the CWA. Between these two promotions that are generally considered bad, which one had the better wrestling?

The USWA is generally considered bad?

I know I'm gonna catch a lot of flack for saying that, but when you think about it the CWA in the 70's-80's was the best of Memphis wrestling, not USWA. Also, and I know that I shouldn't base my opinion strictly off of this, but they did get the "award" for Worst Promotion Of The Year in 97, the year they went belly up, and from some of the stuff I've seen (matches, overall TV shows, etc.) I can clearly see why.

I know I'm gonna catch a lot of flack for saying that, but when you think about it the CWA in the 70's-80's was the best of Memphis wrestling, not USWA. Also, and I know that I shouldn't base my opinion strictly off of this, but they did get the "award" for Worst Promotion Of The Year in 97, the year they went belly up, and from some of the stuff I've seen (matches, overall TV shows, etc.) I can clearly see why.

So your opinion is based on a seperate promotion from years before the USWA even existed, and the quality of the USWA the year they went out of business? Do you think that's enough of a proper sample size to form an opinion about the promotion as a whole? I've only ever seen some of the early 90s USWA, but it was pretty good stuff.

So your opinion is based on a seperate promotion from years before the USWA even existed, and the quality of the USWA the year they went out of business? Do you think that's enough of a proper sample size to form an opinion about the promotion as a whole? I've only ever seen some of the early 90s USWA, but it was pretty good stuff.

I'll take your word for it, any recommendations? All I know is that I saw some of the names headlining around 96-97 and a few of the angles and feuds, including the ECW-USWA wars and the McMemphis stuff which I did like. Maybe I'm being harsh on it since I was more into WCW, ECW and SMW around that time, but I just wasn't very brought in to it like, say, Lawler-Idol/Rich or Lawler/Gilbert.

93 USWA is great. Unfortunately we don't have most of the arena matches at all. Only problem is that Jarrett's push was really annoying that year til he turned heel.

I'll take your word for it based off the fact you used the words "Jarrett" and "annoying" in the same sentence- it's usually true anyway you slice it. :)

USWA was pretty much dead by June 97 with the final weeks just being recaps of old shows. It was pretty bad in 97 but I don't think it's fair to based the whole promotion on that year. 1990-1993 had some great stuff like the Lawler/Snowman, Moondogs, Embry vs Tennessee and heel vince feuds.