DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Sorry, I meant highlight package not comp. But yeah, Duggan's UWF stuff is gold. That story Watt's told about Hacksaw in his HOF induction speech is crazy - I couldn't decide whether Duggan was double-tough or just had the fear of the Cowboy

I remember watching this 8 man tag match on NWA Pro sometime in 1988...

R&R Express + The Fantastics vs The Russian Assassin's/Ivan Koloff/???

Does anyone know the air date?  Is the match up online anywhere? Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

Just now, Infinit said:

I remember watching this 8 man tag match on NWA Pro sometime in 1988...

R&R Express + The Fantastics vs The Russian Assassin's/Ivan Koloff/???

Does anyone know the air date?  Is the match up online anywhere? Thanks to anyone that can help me out.

According to History of WWE, it aired 8/7/88 and was taped the day before.  The heel teem was Rick Steiner, Mike Rotunda, Assassin, and Ivan Koloff.

• Like 1

I think Duggan's pre-WWF stuff is fantastic and to be honest, the MSG house show match vs Macho Man w/Sherri they used to have on classics is one of my personal favorite all time matches. Of course, Macho man and all that, but still.

Apparently. Didn't he have a match in ECW around this time as well? 

**edit** 

Okay, so he did, but it's not online (I think). It's on the network though. Anyways, here's a random tag match he did in ECW with Jerry Lynn against Paul Diamond and Roadkill (WTF? That's WAR level randomness). Caution, it's fancam... 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdgus4_roadkill-and-paul-diamond-vs-tommy_sport

1 hour ago, Wyld Samurai said:

I remember that match now! Fulton'a tights were so weird.... and Tommy Roger's looked... fantastic... didn't he invent the Tomakaze?

The "flo jo" one-legged pants? IIRC, the new fantastics wore them for a while. 

54 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Apparently. Didn't he have a match in ECW around this time as well? 

**edit** 

Okay, so he did, but it's not online (I think). It's on the network though. Anyways, here's a random tag match he did in ECW with Jerry Lynn against Paul Diamond and Roadkill (WTF? That's WAR level randomness). Caution, it's fancam... 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdgus4_roadkill-and-paul-diamond-vs-tommy_sport

It wasn't a singular match - he worked ECW sporadically from late 97 to early 99. The lack of online footage is probably WWE legal types being diligent.

On 8/2/2016 at 5:24 AM, CreativeControl said:

Sorry, I meant highlight package not comp. But yeah, Duggan's UWF stuff is gold. That story Watt's told about Hacksaw in his HOF induction speech is crazy - I couldn't decide whether Duggan was double-tough or just had the fear of the Cowboy

Who is this Duggan you speak of? I only know of the human wedgebuster, Hacksaw Doogan who used the spear.

10 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Weren't the Fantastics also in WCW at the beginning of the Nitro era? It seems strange that Tommy didn't go back there for a JTTS role like so many of his contemporaries did.

Cagematch lists them as having four matches in February, one in June back in 1995, followed by one in October of '96 on Nitro. 

Since we've gone on a Tommy Rogers tangent (not knocking it), as a wrestling fan, I've always seen mentions and write-up's on how great the Fantastics were. I know they supposedly (not arguing) had a good run with Luke and Butch, and others. So for the sake of learning, let's say three, what matches should I look up?