DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

5 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Or a chop. Or a kick.

86h1Ppj.gif

In all seriousness, how good is your offense going to look when your opponent doesn't sell?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Magee apologist -- if you'd asked me who was in that gif I'd have guess Chuck Palumbo on an off day -- but he is not getting ANY favours.

• Like 1

As an example of being generous with selling for Magee, let's watch Arn Anderson throw himself around (and out of) the ring:

So Tom Magee and Carrot Top were separated at birth.  You learn something new every day.  Maybe some props would have made Tom's offense look better, or maybe helped him sell the correct knee after the missed knee drop.

18 hours ago, kafkonia said:

In all seriousness, how good is your offense going to look when your opponent doesn't sell?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Magee apologist -- if you'd asked me who was in that gif I'd have guess Chuck Palumbo on an off day -- but he is not getting ANY favours.

Would you sell any of that shitty offense unless you were one of those Saturday Morning JCP bottom of the barrel jobbers who were just there to pick up $100 for 5 minutes of getting beat up by the Road Warriors?

14 hours ago, Hamhock said:

As an example of being generous with selling for Magee, let's watch Arn Anderson throw himself around (and out of) the ring:

I really hope Magee bought Arn a beer or 12 for him having to sell that godawful enziguiri.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Would you sell any of that shitty offense unless you were one of those Saturday Morning JCP bottom of the barrel jobbers who were just there to pick up $100 for 5 minutes of getting beat up by the Road Warriors?

I would if it was my job.

If you're too good to sell for your opponent, why bother having the match?

• Like 3

Starrcade 86... Magnum TA beach video shown right before Flair/Nikita. Is that Magnum's 1st wife in the video? His mother? Neither? Is it bad that I should even have to be asking that?

I was just watching a Hacksaw Jim Duggan comp and a few questions came up:

1) why was he called Hacksaw when he carried lumber around with him (and no, you wouldn't use a hacksaw to cut said lumber)

2) why was he so patriotic? Was it just because he was this rough and tumble blue collar worker?

3) not a question but his entrance music is great

think you can answer them, tough guy? HOOOOOO 

1. It was a nickname that Bruiser Brody came up with for him, likely playing off the fact that he kinda looks like Jim Reynolds.  He started carrying the board to clear the way to the ring, and it became a trademark of his, so Vince ran with it.

2. asked and answered

3. yes.

On 7/29/2016 at 9:16 PM, gatling said:

So Tom Magee and Carrot Top were separated at birth.  You learn something new every day.  Maybe some props would have made Tom's offense look better, or maybe helped him sell the correct knee after the missed knee drop.

I think Magee looks like a cross between Carrot Top and a Von Erich. IF that Hart match is anywhere near as good as its fabled to be, Bret is god, because lordy did Magee suck. . . .. .

The difference between Magee and your typical "let's make this bodybuilder a wrestler" type is that Magee did possess a decent amount of athleticism. In a way that athleticism ended up working against him though, in that it made him believe he could do things that he couldn't. Just 'cause you can do a backflip doesn't mean you have the precision to pull off a worked martial arts kick. I'm assuming Vince fast-tracked him through training because he was salivating at the thought of a guy with a Rick Rude body who could flip like Lanny Poffo, but I wonder if Magee could've been decent if he'd been trained properly.

1 hour ago, The Comedian said:

The difference between Magee and your typical "let's make this bodybuilder a wrestler" type is that Magee did possess a decent amount of athleticism. In a way that athleticism ended up working against him though, in that it made him believe he could do things that he couldn't. Just 'cause you can do a backflip doesn't mean you have the precision to pull off a worked martial arts kick. I'm assuming Vince fast-tracked him through training because he was salivating at the thought of a guy with a Rick Rude body who could flip like Lanny Poffo, but I wonder if Magee could've been decent if he'd been trained properly.

Six months in Calgary training with the Hart family, six months training in the All Japan dojo, and a year wrestling Terry Gibbs on house shows, and he didn't put together after all that. It would never have happened under any circumstance.

• Like 5

Part of me wants to believe Kobashi was a young boy at ringside and saw Magee do that spin chop and thought "That shit was boss, I'll add that to my fiery babyface repetoire!"

James

• Like 2

On 7/31/2016 at 2:13 PM, CreativeControl said:

I was just watching a Hacksaw Jim Duggan comp and a few questions came up:

1) why was he called Hacksaw when he carried lumber around with him (and no, you wouldn't use a hacksaw to cut said lumber)

2) why was he so patriotic? Was it just because he was this rough and tumble blue collar worker?

3) not a question but his entrance music is great

think you can answer them, tough guy? HOOOOOO 

My question to you

Why would you be watching a Hacksaw Jim Duggan comp?

You my friend are the true tough guy!!

22 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Duggan has been great in the Houston footage. Duggan vs Mascaras is one of my favorites on there.

Presumably, that would fall under the umbrella of Watts era. I might under throw in his Florida stuff, for contrast.