DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

I was watching some old Stunning Steve Austin matches from the mid-90s and man was his selling goofy as fuck for his size. And his movements in the ring were so gangly and all over the place (which might partly be down to how small WCW's ring was). So glad he went for a more grounded and stoic style in the WWF

• Like 1

On 14 June 2016 at 6:49 AM, Vader does my taxes! said:

Yeah, it took me a minute to figure out he was talking about Hurricane, not Young.

I liked the Hurricane gimmick the first time around, not so much when they revived it for ECW.  Didn't help that Helms had a rotten look for the Hurricane in 2009: greasy hair, skraggly beard, and a superhero costume that looked a size or too too small on him.  He looked like he was auditioning for a heel turn and the hobo army angle,

So after my query about the Hurricane's whereabouts on here like two weeks ago, I'd bought tickets to Tommy Dreamer's House of Hardcore event in Melbourne, Australia, having not really been to a live event in about 10 years.  That event was tonight.  

Dreamer comes out at the start, says MVP and Magnus couldn't make it but that he has a surprise replacement.  Next minute, Hurricane Helms appears: unadvertised, unannounced and a looking pretty unfit.  Fair coincidence that.

• Like 2

Hurricane has brought on the Hurripounds lately, as indicated in his TNA managerial run.  Then again, even when he was fit seeing him at a local indy he didn't do much of anything.  At least MVP can still have a good match nowadays, so that seemed like a downgrade.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

According to Bret in his book, Vince told Bret to put Tom over which led to a backstage argument.  So Bret took it as a challenge to make it the best match that he could and asked Tom what his three best moves were and Bret then worked a match around them.  

1 minute ago, RandomAct said:

Helms was in pretty decent shape and having a good run around here as recently as 2 years ago. He ended up with a rather severe leg injury after an auto accident, and hasn't been nearly as active since.

Was this the one where he was tweeting photos of him and Daniels getting bombed hours prior?

Have you see the Jim Duggan match? It gets hype as a 'pro-wrestling match turns into real fight' thing, but really they just stare at each other a lot.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

When was Tony Schiavone's last appearance in the WWF? I know he was at WrestleMania VI but I'm not aware of him appearing onscreen at that event. Was Capital Combat his onscreen return to WCW or did he appear on TV before that?

I think Tony's last WWF appearance was on the Challenge tapings before WMVI.

And I don't remember if it was this exact show, but I do remember Tony absolutely losing his shit when Barry Windham made a surprise return to attack Sting right before Capital Combat so he had been back at least a few weeks before the PPV. I think his switch back to WCW was almost immediate or at most a two-three week gap.

On 7/26/2016 at 10:54 PM, Jerome Miller said:

Anybody hear from tape trading legend John McAdam anymore?

He's popped up on the 6:05 podcast in the past few months, so he's around. no idea if he's still trading, though.

On 7/10/2016 at 10:43 PM, sydneybrown said:

According to Bret in his book, Vince told Bret to put Tom over which led to a backstage argument.  So Bret took it as a challenge to make it the best match that he could and asked Tom what his three best moves were and Bret then worked a match around them.  

I think history has shown us that one of those three moves wasn't a punch.

• Like 1