DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

It was definitely called that in 1990,

Find me an example.

Anvil calls it the Hart Attack in their SummerSlam 90 pre match promo.

Are we sure he's not just babbling nonsensically? Vince never called it that. Ventura never called it that. Monsoon never called it that. I want to see a match where an announcer called it that while it was happening. 

I don't recall any announcer using the term that far back, but I do remember Anvil using it and then laughing maniacally.

I am fairly positive it was listed on the back of their trading card from 90 as well.

I will have to check, unfortunately all my wrestling (and baseball) cards are in storage... So much to sort through... (I owned half a cardshop in Seattle and when we closed, like a fool I took a bunch of stock home with me intending to sort it all out. That's never happened. At least at the shop we had a couple of kids come in every weekend to do sorting in exchange for merch. I do not relish the thought of all the hours it will take to sort through mostly worthless  1980s and 1990s stuff.

Speaking of trading cards, did anyone ever finish putting the JCP set together? I'm still shy about twenty cards... That thing was a monster.

I think the Tombstone name dates before Undertaker did it, but I'm not totally positive on the name origins. May be a Japan thing. The martinete name has some old origin as well. I'll look into it as much as one can expect.

From what I can tell the move was banned in Mexico due to an actual injury at some point(whether kayfabe or not, I have no clue). The move dates back forever and was used by guys like Billy Robinson and Andre in a fashion. I'm not sure who first called it that, but the name seems old. Alternate original names for it in Japanese use the word hakaishi which just means tombstone, so I'm sure someone named it that based on looking like an actual tombstone.

• Like 1

I fully believe that *I* called it that in 1990. I've just never heard it called that in a match proper before 1994. 

Did they call it that in the old WWF Superstars mag that came out every year?

I wasn't really watching in 1994, but I've always known it as the Hart Attack so I must've heard it somewhere.

It was definitely called that in 1990,

Find me an example.
Anvil calls it the Hart Attack in their SummerSlam 90 pre match promo.
They make a similar reference in a SNME promo before a match against the Killer Bees in 1986-ish.

Here it's just called a Two-Man Clothesline

In an unrelated note, I was reading the Shoemaker book and in the section about Yokozuna I started wondering about the origins of the character. Did Vince have anyone else in mind for the role? Was he hoping to get a legit sumotori? The book (and his deadspin post about Yoko) mention that people mistake/mistook Yoko for Akebono (which is...stupid).  Yoko's debut predated Akebono actually becoming a yokozuna (that happened in early 93, Yoko appeared in late 92).

I forget who it was... Slaughter, maybe? on an episode of "Legends" said that Yoko's tryout was amazing, but Vince was down on him because he "had enough Samoans right now" so Sarge slept on it and came up with the Sumo idea.

I forget who it was... Slaughter, maybe? on an episode of "Legends" said that Yoko's tryout was amazing, but Vince was down on him because he "had enough Samoans right now" so Sarge slept on it and came up with the Sumo idea.

You're right b/c I just watched that one two days ago. It was on the Giants roundtable.

In my WWWF youth, I recall Muraco using a knees-first piledriver dubbed "The Hawaiian Hammer". If I am not mistaken, the Apter magazines referred to the Tombstone originally as a "Southern piledriver".

- RAF

I recall reading an Apter mag article about how the tombstone was overtaking the traditional piledriver because it was easier on the spine of the guy delivering it. Couldn't tell you what year it was from though...

You're right b/c I just watched that one two days ago. It was on the Giants roundtable.

Yokozuna was originally going to be the third Headshrinker.  Monsoon had mentioned during one of their early matches that there was another Headshrinker out there and he was the biggest of them all.  But it got quickly dropped.

And I take any of Sarge's stories with a grain of salt.  He also claimed to have invented theme music for ring entrances and said that he and Patterson booked the Alley Fight finish on the fly in the ring.

I've heard a few people take credit for inventing entrance music but isn't it pretty well established that Gorgeous George was the first as he was coming out to Pomp and Circumstance in the 50's?

In an unrelated note, I was reading the Shoemaker book and in the section about Yokozuna I started wondering about the origins of the character. Did Vince have anyone else in mind for the role? Was he hoping to get a legit sumotori? The book (and his deadspin post about Yoko) mention that people mistake/mistook Yoko for Akebono (which is...stupid).  Yoko's debut predated Akebono actually becoming a yokozuna (that happened in early 93, Yoko appeared in late 92).

Akebono was a presence in American media before Yoko's debut-- I'm sure that's what sparked the minds of whoever gave him that gimmick.

Afa says that he was bringing in Yoko and I think Fatu, but Yoko broke his leg, so he showed up to the first taking with Samu instead, got bitched out by Vince, but once his leg healed, Afa got three of the kids work.

Akebono was a presence in American media before Yoko's debut-- I'm sure that's what sparked the minds of whoever gave him that gimmick.

Well, Akebono was on the cusp but the year before he finally broke through there was a big to-do about Konishiki getting turned down for promotion. That happened in early 92.

I've heard a few people take credit for inventing entrance music but isn't it pretty well established that Gorgeous George was the first as he was coming out to Pomp and Circumstance in the 50's?

It is indeed.

We'll start off your workout with vigorous calisthenics executed in rhythmic time with acetate pressings of the new musical craze called jazz.

On a similar note, watching SuperBrawl I and JR calls a Tombstone Piledriver that Sting hits as such. Was it called that before, or is this JR adopting the name from the Undertaker in the WWF?

I've been watching a few WCW PPVs from 1990 onward.

There's a few references to tombstone piledrivers on shows where Mean Mark was still on the undercard. Definitely predates Undertaker.