DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

All jokes aside, is there any known reason as to why HBK was given decent amounts of time off during his initial run? I mean, in an era where everybody was driven into the ground travel and booking-wise, he seemed to have quite a few breaks. Obviously we know the whole steroid deal in '93, but other than that, Vince seemed to cut him a break more so than other talent. Then again, I could just be remembering things differently.

I feel like we've been around the road on this one a bit, but the Hart Attack.

Has anyone heard it called that pre-1991? 92? 93? Because the first time I've come across is Macho at King of the Ring 94 when Neidhart and Owen do it to Razor post match. And even that I found jarring since I wasn't expecting it.

Has anyone heard it called that pre-1991? 92? 93? Because the first time I've come across is Macho at King of the Ring 94 when Neidhart and Owen do it to Razor post match. And even that I found jarring since I wasn't expecting it.

I am 99% sure it was called the Hart Attack when it was Bret and Anvil's finisher in the 80's.

..... wasn't it?!?!

On a similar note, watching SuperBrawl I and JR calls a Tombstone Piledriver that Sting hits as such. Was it called that before, or is this JR adopting the name from the Undertaker in the WWF?

The name came first. They probably gave Taker the move because of the name.

See also Sting and Scorpion Deathlock.

It's a pretty popular move for heels in Mexico, isn't it? I know nothing about lucha but I thought the Tombstone Piledriver was an illegal move.

Yes, it's called the martinete (no idea why, though).  I always wanted the Road Warriors to work Mexico just so Hawk could no-sell one.

It's a pretty popular move for heels in Mexico, isn't it? I know nothing about lucha but I thought the Tombstone Piledriver was an illegal move.

Yes, it's called the martinete (no idea why, though).  I always wanted the Road Warriors to work Mexico just so Hawk could no-sell one.

I remember when Kane was doing his deal where he'd come out and randomly tombstone people. He gave Hawk a regular piledriver that Hawk no-sold and then tombstoned him.

• Like 1

The Lefranc martinete is a type of (non-wrestling) pile driver used in the testing of soil.

martinete_lefranc.gif

i read that as "testing of SOUL" and then thought it was an even more appropriate name for the Undertaker's finisher.

or, in another world, perfect for Slick.

When was this?

It was late 97 if I have the timeline correct. Kane had just debuted at Survivor Series and he went around attacking random people in an attempt to goad Taker into fighting him. The Hardyz and Ahmed Johnson were other victims.

It was definitely called that in 1990,

Find me an example.

Anvil calls it the Hart Attack in their SummerSlam 90 pre match promo.

Are we sure he's not just babbling nonsensically? Vince never called it that. Ventura never called it that. Monsoon never called it that. I want to see a match where an announcer called it that while it was happening.