DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Damn, did they win?

The Montreal Canadiens defeated the New York Islanders 5-1. The Buffalo Sabres defeated the Quebec Nordiques 7-4. Hockey-reference.com is an awesome site, btw.

Hmm, so it wasn't a total loss.
Not really. Dino Bravo had retired from being an active wrestler and had been boring since about 1988 while the Habs won the Stanley Cup in 1993. I'd trade a boring retired wrestler any day of the week for a San Jose Sharks Stanley Cup championship.

Damn, did they win?

The Montreal Canadiens defeated the New York Islanders 5-1. The Buffalo Sabres defeated the Quebec Nordiques 7-4. Hockey-reference.com is an awesome site, btw.
Not really. Dino Bravo had retired from being an active wrestler and had been boring since about 1988 while the Habs won the Stanley Cup in 1993. I'd trade a boring retired wrestler any day of the week for a San Jose Sharks Stanley Cup championship.

A man died you puck addled savages!  

• Like 5

Damn, did they win?

Maple Leafs fans would probably kill a bunch of retired wrestlers to get a Stanley Cup

• Like 1

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Damn, did they win?

Maple Leafs fans would probably kill a bunch of retired wrestlers to get a Stanley Cup

Worth it.

Wouldn't work.

They'd use the wrestler's bones to make their own.

I was at a house show at the Anaheim pond where Road Warrior Hawk got sent into the barricade and it hit a young girl at ringside. I think she left on a stretcher. The black walls weren't very long after that had happened, so I always figured it was related.

The barricades were introduced the week before Summerslam 98.  I very vividly remember it, because I immediately pointed out how fucking stupid they looked.  I HATE the barricade.  I miss the old guardrails.

I haven't watched old school RAW yet- PLEASE tell me they brought back the old barricades last night!

And since we're talking about old-school frivolities, am I the only one that fucking HATED the WCW logo circa 1999?

Also, did Ronnie Garvin's contract with JCP expire in 1988 or did he basically give Crockett and Rhodes the middle finger and hit the bricks for Connecticut? Seems to me that it's stupid to have Garvin turn on Dusty at the Great American Bash if he was just going to go to the WWF anyway.

Dusty booked himself to go over Garvin AND Al Perez in two-on-one handicap matches, so Garvin walked.

And he didn't go directly to the WWF, he spent about five months in the AWA before going to Vince (including wrestling on SuperClash III while technically being signed to WWF.)

Dusty booked himself to go over Garvin AND Al Perez in two-on-one handicap matches, so Garvin walked.

And he didn't go directly to the WWF, he spent about five months in the AWA before going to Vince (including wrestling on SuperClash III while technically being signed to WWF.)

I remember reading an interview he did recently with one of the Apter mags where he said as much. He had been booked to hold his own against all 4 Horsemen at once, beat Ric Flair clean in the middle and knock Dusty out and then all of a sudden he's supposed to be losing two on one handicap matches. Also, didn't he make a stop in Puerto Rico after the AWA adn before the WWF?

Although if the Al Perez/Flair story is true THAT guy genuinely had no one to blame but himself for getting buried.

What story now?

Perez supposedly threatened to shoot on Flair and win the NWA title.  According to Gary Hart, Perez told Hart of this, Hart told Flair and Perez was quickly gone from WCW.