DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

So what was the deal with Vince wanting Brock Lesnar to go over Austin in a KOTR qualifying match on Raw.  I get that they were pushing Brock to the moon, and probably already had Brock/Rock set for Summerslam but wouldn't it make more sense to save that match for PPV?  Was that done to just intentionally piss Austin off?  Was it a power play to put Austin in his place?  Anybody know the scuttlebutt?

Austin brought it up on a few podcasts, but the gist of it appears to be that Austin said or did something that pissed the writers off, and their revenge was to book Austin jobbing clean to Lesnar at the next RAW.  Austin has always said that he would lose to Brock on a PPV with build with no problem, but he thought it was petty BS that he would be forced to lose to Brock on a throwaway RAW with no rhyme or reason behind it.

So he walked.   Austin to this day says he doesn't regret doing it, but he does regret the way he did it.

Ahhh ok, Thanks.  Man oh man...wrestling can be so fucking petty.  Imagine throwing away a PPV main event of that caliber because someone pissed you off a little bit. 

So what was the deal with Vince wanting Brock Lesnar to go over Austin in a KOTR qualifying match on Raw.  I get that they were pushing Brock to the moon, and probably already had Brock/Rock set for Summerslam but wouldn't it make more sense to save that match for PPV?  Was that done to just intentionally piss Austin off?  Was it a power play to put Austin in his place?  Anybody know the scuttlebutt?

Austin brought it up on a few podcasts, but the gist of it appears to be that Austin said or did something that pissed the writers off, and their revenge was to book Austin jobbing clean to Lesnar at the next RAW.  Austin has always said that he would lose to Brock on a PPV with build with no problem, but he thought it was petty BS that he would be forced to lose to Brock on a throwaway RAW with no rhyme or reason behind it.

So he walked.   Austin to this day says he doesn't regret doing it, but he does regret the way he did it.

Ahhh ok, Thanks.  Man oh man...wrestling can be so fucking petty.  Imagine throwing away a PPV main event of that caliber because someone pissed you off a little bit.

I think what they were pissed off about was Austin going on the Byte This show and saying he thought the creative direction of the company sucked.

I think what they were pissed off about was Austin going on the Byte This show and saying he thought the creative direction of the company sucked.

He probably did go about it the wrong way, but he was correct on both it being stupid to do Austin/Bork on a throwaway Raw with no build when it could have generated good $ on PPV AND the creative direction of the company going south.

According to this thread Austin either didn't want to work with Eddy or specifically requested to work with Eddy. Clears everything up.

The Eddy thing was in his comeback right after No Mercy 2000 when he in as much said that he wasn't going to give anyone who wasn't a main eventer any offence in order to make him look as strong as possible after his return. He squashed Eddy and others on RAW around this time and was criticised for it online. He ended up kick starting hishis run of good matches against Angle and Benoit in November/December. I particularly remember a match with Benoit where Austin was booked to go toe to toe with him. In wrestling holds with commentators putting his wrestling ability over strong... He definitely did want to work Eddy in 2002, yes.

No.  Yoko was moved into a feud with the returning Earthquake, who quit shortly after realizing he had been brought in as fodder for Yoko.  Yokozuna was basically in limbo through 94 teaming with Crush and beating Mabel and Typhoon (who filled in for Quake) until Undertaker returned.

According to this thread Austin either didn't want to work with Eddy or specifically requested to work with Eddy. Clears everything up.

Maybe he didn't want to work with Eddy when he was dealing with his serious drug/alcohol issues but came around when Eddy got cleaned up during his hiatus?

Maybe he didn't want to work with Eddy when he was dealing with his serious drug/alcohol issues but came around when Eddy got cleaned up during his hiatus?

Possibly. I've always assumed that originally Austin didn't want to work with Eddie because Steve was at the height of his paranoia and was really selective about who he'd do business with, but by 2002, realized he was in the twilight of his career and knew he and Eddie could do a good program.

Or it might just be the personal demons.

I will say, listening to Austin's podcast, I appreciate that he's able to mention his own personal "faults" like being stubborn during different parts of his run and all that. I also like that Steve doesn't appear to be bitter at all or a nutjob about the wrestling business. I know it helps when you're a top 5 star of all time, but guys like Hogan and even Flair aren't nearly as grounded as Austin.

It probably helps that Austin is a self-admitted loner and cheapskate who doesn't need attention 24 hours a day like Hogan and Flair do and also took care of his money when he was making a ton of it.  He's got his reality shows and low budget action films to pay the bills now and I assume can pretty much do whatever he feels like the rest of the time. 

It probably helps that Austin is a self-admitted loner and cheapskate who doesn't need attention 24 hours a day like Hogan and Flair do and also took care of his money when he was making a ton of it.  He's got his reality shows and low budget action films to pay the bills now and I assume can pretty much do whatever he feels like the rest of the time. 

i don't disagree with what you're saying, but it's funny to point out he doesn't need attention 24 hours a day, then go on to mention his reality shows during a subject about his podcast.

Why did Davey Boy leave the WWF in 1992? I mean, the dude had a PPV pretty much catered around him and delivered in the main event with one of the best matches of the year. Also, what's this about Dynamite getting into it with the Rougeaus?

Long story short, in late 1988 Curt Hennig shredded the Rougeaus' clothing in a prank, but the Rougeaus thought Dynamite did it.  Jacques confronted Dynamite and Dynamite smacked him.  A few weeks later Jacques gave him a receipt by sucker punching him in the mouth with a roll of coins and destroyed Dynamite's teeth.

The only reason the Bulldogs lasted 30 minutes plus at Survivor Series 88 was for the Rougeaus to be eliminated first and get out of the arena in case Dynamite was looking for payback either in the ring or backstage.

For the long story, get Pure Dynamite.  It's one of the better wrestling bios out there, and Dynamite lets it all out there.

Yeah I think Vince made him pay to get the teeth fixed. And there's been Sicilian mafia in Montreal for years. The only dudes badder than them up there were the '90s era Hell's Angels. 

I remember the big Earthquake/Yoko sumo match where they just circled each other and threw salt the whole time. It was actually kind of suspenseful, anyone remember how it ended? I think Quake won but the memory is faded...