DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

What was the deal with the Kensuke Sasaki vs One Man Gang match that took place after the Starrcade '95 PPV? Why have a match like this after the PPV instead of before? Why have  Gang win the belt, then restart the match and have Sasaki win, then have Gang as the champion anyway?

On 6/26/2017 at 5:49 AM, Happ Hazzard said:

What was the deal with the Kensuke Sasaki vs One Man Gang match that took place after the Starrcade '95 PPV? Why have a match like this after the PPV instead of before? Why have  Gang win the belt, then restart the match and have Sasaki win, then have Gang as the champion anyway?

Maybe because Sasaki worked the actual PPV in a high-profile match and they/he wanted to be fresh for that match against Sting? That's the only reasonable thing I could think of. Either that or just logistical reasons during the day of the taping didn't work out, maybe?

I think the restart/retain was because they weren't exactly sure what would happen going forward, so the original finish, then restarting, gave them footage for TV depending on what they wanted to do with the title. 

I "think" this was supposed to lead to a Mr. T/Danny Davis feud, but the few appearances he made at house shows (reffing Savage/Honky Tonk matches) bombed, so the whole thing was dropped.  The only thing notable that aired on TV was him reversing the Hart Foundation win over The Young Stallions.

• Like 1

The entire 1988 WWF roster joining in on a sing-a-long of "Hold Me Closer Tony Garea" on a bus ride from a flea market house show to a high school gym didn't quite hold the viewer's attention as much as the original did, and Bret Hart seemed pretty adamant that no-one got a boner watching Fabulous Moolah in the Kate Hudson role, but nonetheless, 99c was a bargain.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Were Doom supposed to have turned face in late 1990? They feuded with the Horsemen, Sting substituted for Butch Reed and teamed with Ron Simmons to defend the tag titles against Flair and Arn, then Doom lost the titles to the (heel) Freebirds. 

I think the Horsemen were the faces in that feud from watching it develop on Worldwide believe it or not and it was a way to get Flair out of the title picture 

I wish they hadn't been so quick to break Doom up. Was there an issue with Butch Reed or were they just so hot on Ron Simmons credentials that they wanted him as a face?

It was a strange time for the Horsemen. They fought Doom at Halloween Havoc yet were definitely heels that night as they tried to pull off the imposter Sting ploy to have Sid win the title. Then at Starrcade Arn and Barry got a face reaction against Doom, Sid teamed with Spivey against 2 heels and the Skyscrapers were massively over as faces, then by the end of the night Flair was unmasked as the Black Scorpion and the other Horsemen were in the cage beating up Sting and Dick the Bruiser.

Doom should definitely have stayed around for longer. I heard Reed had a drug problem and his wife wanted him off the road, that may have applied to him leaving the WWF  in 1988 though (but may have also been the reason for him leaving WCW in 1991).

On 6/29/2017 at 10:37 AM, clintthecrippler said:

Wasn't the reason behind the restart so that they could show One Man Gang beating him on WCW TV but New Japan would have footage of Kensuke winning?

Sasaki did not want to lose the US title back. So they did the false finish showing Gang winning and did not show Sasaki winning the restarted match. 

On 7/23/2017 at 4:02 PM, Kronos said:

I have been looking for a map like this for a long time. 

My first question is: What's the deal with GCW also covering a large chunk of Ohio? If nothing else, it seems a travel nightmare for the boys. 

NWA_Professional_Wrestling_Territories.p

Sheik use to run Ohio but as his territory started dying he stopped running it. GCW was seen across the country via TBS and they got a lot of fan mail from Ohio. So they started running house shows in cities like Cleveland and Cincinnati. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Victator said:

Sheik use to run Ohio but as his territory started dying he stopped running Ohio. GCW was seen across the country via TBS and they got a lot of fan mail from Ohio. So they started running house shows in cities like Cleveland and Cincinnati. 

That's good trivia right there.

• Like 2