DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

15 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Did you get to that one Headshrinkers/PJ Walker and some other guy match, where PJ gets knocked out and just lays in the ring unconscious the whole time? 

That was pretty scary looking, and stupid too. 

I haven't gotten to that match yet. He was fodder for Luger in his debut match as The Narcissist. 

Luger's 2nd opponent was Jason Knight, by the way. I found that rather humorous. 

Re: Headshrinkers. I loved them back then, and Fatu all but took Bret's head off with a savate. Great match, Bret gets some color with a busted nose.

My question actually reminded me of a clip I saw on Reddit the other day. Medusa vs Sherri from Nitro, where Medusa knocks out Sherri with a German suplex and acts like a total shit head right after... 

I think it was because Sherri didn't want to job to Medusa, per one of the comments from that post. 

The match is an alright sprint, but incredibly cringey at that point above. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Kuetsar said:

How the hell did Madusa still have a job after that bullshit?

Monday Night Wars. You don't fire someone you've been pushing (in any way) because the opposition will hire them immediately and use them as a weapon against you.

Unless it's X-Pac. Both sides thought he was expendable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peck said:

Did Gary Hart receive any heat for (accidentally, I'm guessing) referring to Dusty Rhodes as Virgil in his 3/22/88 6:05 promo after Al Perez's debut? 

I would think probably not, as people seemed to call dusty that every once in a while, esp if things were serious. I seem to recall dusty saying it too.

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

Monday Night Wars. You don't fire someone you've been pushing (in any way) because the opposition will hire them immediately and use them as a weapon against you.

Unless it's X-Pac. Both sides thought he was expendable.

True, but this was after she dumped the title in the trash can on Nitro, so I doubt Vince would have taken her back right away. . . .

5 hours ago, Peck said:

Did Gary Hart receive any heat for (accidentally, I'm guessing) referring to Dusty Rhodes as Virgil in his 3/22/88 6:05 promo after Al Perez's debut? 

Unless you just got the date wrong, he also refers to him as Virgil Runnels on the 3/26/88 WCW, after the Horsemen attack on Magnum, where Dusty accidentally hit Jim Crockett with a bat, while fending them off. I'm 100% sure it was intentional. Pretty much all of Hart's promos on Dusty through the spring/summer of 88 are about how he's knows the true Dusty and the hate and violence in his heart. He repeatedly accuses Dusty's father of having killed 2 men while Dusty was a child, leading to them having to run from Austin and move to Allen, Texas. Gary Hart is pretty great.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, elizium said:

Unless you just got the date wrong, he also refers to him as Virgil Runnels on the 3/26/88 WCW, after the Horsemen attack on Magnum, where Dusty accidentally hit Jim Crockett with a bat, while fending them off. I'm 100% sure it was intentional. Pretty much all of Hart's promos on Dusty through the spring/summer of 88 are about how he's knows the true Dusty and the hate and violence in his heart. He repeatedly accuses Dusty's father of having killed 2 men while Dusty was a child, leading to them having to run from Austin and move to Allen, Texas. Gary Hart is pretty great.

I did get the date wrong. I was actually referring to 3/19/88 when Perez debuted. Haven't watched the 3/26 episode yet leading to Clash I. 

Appreciate the backstory.

11 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I would think probably not, as people seemed to call dusty that every once in a while, esp if things were serious. I seem to recall dusty saying it too.

Gary had been doing that forever. When Dusty first turned babyface and feuded with Hart's Army in Florida, Gary would call him "Virgil Riley Runnels Rhodes" and talk about how he rescued young Dusty from digging ditches in Texas only to be repaid with this treachery. Great stuff. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Peck said:

That's nothing.  I remember when Perez was feuding with Nikita Koloff, Hart cut a promo calling Nikita "Nikolai Volkoff" that actually made the air!  Ah, WCW...

On a totally unrelated subject, I've always wondered why, when Pedro Morales won the WWWF title from Ivan Koloff, it wasn't really that clean of a finish.  One would think that Bruno's heir apparent would be able to decisively beat the man who ended the legendary title run.

I've always hated that "golly, I pinned myself giving a back suplex!" finish, but at least they had Pedro kicking off the turnbuckles to help explain it. Still, I think "Koloff goes for the Kneedrop of Doom but misses; Morales hits Bombs Away/whatever his finisher was" would have been better.

On 4/22/2017 at 2:28 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

ICP should be powerbombed on a bus as often as humanly possible. While we're at it, can we get Mark Madden powerbombed into the middle of frenzy of feeding sharks?

Ah come on.  That move is part of the reason Shaggy 2 Dope has a fused neck now

So when JJ moved to the WWF in 89, was there ever any serious consideration to using him on-air?

I guess with Heenan taking the Brainbusters, and such a glut of managers around that time, he was surplus to needs around that time. Post 93 though when Heenan, Hart, Slick, etc are all gone, I'm surprised it never really occurred.

I remember as a kid when Randy announced he had a new manager after WMV, I thought for SURE it was going to be JJ, since the Apter mags said that he had gone to the WWF.  In retrospect, it wouldn't have worked.  And I don't think JJ replacing Heenan would have worked either.  Heenan gave Flair credibility to those fans who were solely WWF and didn't watch anything else.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

So when JJ moved to the WWF in 89, was there ever any serious consideration to using him on-air?

I guess with Heenan taking the Brainbusters, and such a glut of managers around that time, he was surplus to needs around that time. Post 93 though when Heenan, Hart, Slick, etc are all gone, I'm surprised it never really occurred.

According to JJ he was brought in strictly to be part of the office and to help Vince and Patterson with creative. He was hurting from all of the bumps he took as a wrestler and manager and wanted to fully transition to being an exec. I think he was on camera for a couple of contract signings but otherwise there weren't any plans to have him manage or anything.

6 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

6 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

I remember as a kid when Randy announced he had a new manager after WMV, I thought for SURE it was going to be JJ, since the Apter mags said that he had gone to the WWF.  In retrospect, it wouldn't have worked.  And I don't think JJ replacing Heenan would have worked either.  Heenan gave Flair credibility to those fans who were solely WWF and didn't watch anything else.

I remember one Apter mag running a kayfabe story speculating that JJ was using his office power to reform the Horsemen in the WWF.  The story was that Arn, Tully and Windham were already there and JJ was working on bringing Flair in.

That's a great point re: legitimacy to WWF-only viewers, I hadn't considered that. I just looked at it purely from a basis of seeing the 4 Horsemen turn up in the WWF in 1988/89.

Would have been interesting to see who would have become the 4th member had that been the case. Ray Traylor perhaps? Rude?