DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

I love this thread so I'm going to ask some more questions haha. Anyone know what the heat was about between Andre and Big John Studd? The new wrestling roundtable said that Andre hated Studd.

Studd, at times, claimed he was the only legitimate giant around.  It was mostly kayfabe for the tv segments, but Andre supposedly thought Studd believed that line and was disrespecting him.

The biggest question mark for me remains why they changed the booking for Summsrslam that year when it looked like Beefcake was primed ot beat Honky and swapped him out with Warrior. Did Beefcake piss someone off?

James

According to Wrestleview, which is prolly quoting an old Observer...

Brutus was originally suppose to win the Intercontinental title from Honky Tonk Man at Summerslam. Brutus and Honky Tonk had been feuding for almost a year and everytime they fought Honky Tonk somehow would walk away the winner. At Summerslam Brutus would finally get his long waited victory. However 3 weeks before the event "The Outlaw" Ron Bass viciously attacked Brutus on WWF television. Brutus ended up being out for 4 weeks missing Summerslam. 

The real decision Brutus was written out was a made by WWF officals. Brutus was heavily pushed by the WWF after his face turn in early 1987 and thought Brutus didn't quite live up to the hype. WWF felt Ultimate Warrior was way over more with the fans and decided to have him win the belt instead.

For whatever it's worth, in his Timeline WWF 1989 shoot (and I think at least one other interview in the mid 00s) Beefcake claimed Warrior was given the title after throwing a tantrum backstage.. and that he was supposed to then win it from Warrior but the office kept making excuses for why it never happened.

Beefcake's story makes no sense. Why would they put Beefcake over Warrior in that time period? 

Why didn't they show Patterson's IC title win on the IC Title DVD? Okay, I kid, I kid haha.

Another Andre question, I knew he was in AWA but was he only a featured attraction who did battle royals with them or did he have any notable storylines?

• Like 2

Why didn't they show Patterson's IC title win on the IC Title DVD? Okay, I kid, I kid haha.

Another Andre question, I knew he was in AWA but was he only a featured attraction who did battle royals with them or did he have any notable storylines?

I remember Andre teaming with Hogan against the Heenan family.

What was up with that Shawn v Vader match? I remember Shawn being up on the top rope, jumping down and just shouting at Vader.

Also didn't Shawn have a problem with Foley in a match too? Is this just Shawn protecting his spot or were there reasons to be pissy?

Never heard the Foley story, but Vader was apparently supposed to move out of the way of a top rope elbow and didn't, so Shawn stopped mid-move and yelled "MOVE!"

Shawn never needed to protect his spot once he got it. He was generally pissy in the 90's.

Never heard the Foley story, but Vader was apparently supposed to move out of the way of a top rope elbow and didn't, so Shawn stopped mid-move and yelled "MOVE!"

Shawn never needed to protect his spot once he got it. He was generally pissy in the 90's.

Even Sean Waltman, one of his best friends, has said Shawn was a dick back then.

I am having trouble recalling an angle from the early 90's.

Did they do a run with Snuka where he started wearing boots and was botching everything? They explained that it was because he was so used to wrestling barefoot? Or was it the Headshrinkers they ran this angle with? Also, what was the end result of this angle?

I have tried searching online to no avail! Starting to think I imagined it!

That was the Headshrinkers when Capt. Lou started managing them along side Afa. It was short lived and I don't remember it ever getting a pay off.

Snuka did start wearing long tights and boots eventually, but there was never an explanation or angle around it.

Anybody know anything about a planned Cowboy Bob Orton return to WWF in late 1989/early 1990? Only two mentions of it I can find on historyofwwe.com are:

WWF @ Springfield, IL - Prairie Capital Convention Center - October 11, 1989Ted Dibiase pinned Bob Orton Jr.WWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - January 15, 1990 (11,500)Prime Time Wrestling - 2/19/90: Akeem (sub. for Bob Orton Jr. who was to have returned) pinned Bret Hart at 8:30 by blocking a sunset flip and hitting a sit-down splash

Would love to know what was planned and why it didnt happen.

Also didn't Shawn have a problem with Foley in a match too? Is this just Shawn protecting his spot or were there reasons to be pissy?

Foley said it was an intentional spot in their match to call back to the Vader match.

• Like 1

Was that the year that the Canadian finals were held in "Rio?"

Was the Rio story a worked angle or was it a legit tournament?  I've heard enough angles where mysterious title changes happen off camera because someone no shows a card, so I was curious about whether or not Johnson and Montour actually beat Beef Wellington and Chris Benoit (?) in an actual match.

Or at least that is who I always heard they went over in that match.

What was up with that Shawn v Vader match? I remember Shawn being up on the top rope, jumping down and just shouting at Vader.Also didn't Shawn have a problem with Foley in a match too? Is this just Shawn protecting his spot or were there reasons to be pissy?

There was a worked shoot spot in the Mind Games match where Shawn just starts pummeling him out of nowhere. Otherwise, not that I know of.

• Like 1

What was up with that Shawn v Vader match? I remember Shawn being up on the top rope, jumping down and just shouting at Vader.Also didn't Shawn have a problem with Foley in a match too? Is this just Shawn protecting his spot or were there reasons to be pissy?

There was a worked shoot spot in the Mind Games match where Shawn just starts pummeling him out of nowhere. Otherwise, not that I know of.
This is probably what I'm thinking of. It's been a long time since I've seen it.

Why was Bruiser Brody called King Kong Brody in the AWA?  Was it because they previously had a famous Bruiser?  Was he known as King Kong anywhere else?

Pretty sure they called him King Kong (a name I hate, incidentally) in St. Louis, because DTB already worked there.

• Like 1

Neither Basher nor Buster are better names than King Kong. It got really ridiculous when King Kong Bundy showed up in the AWA and had to go by the name Boom Boom Bundy because they already had a King Kong. :)

• Like 1