DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Lets be honest, Hogan wasn't tapping to the sharpshooter in '93.Another question, can't remember the year but Undertaker faced Mankind and Paul Bearer was in a cage. Taker came down from the rafters like a gay-batman all in leather. I remember taker working differently. Was this the first time he'd changed his look and working style? I can't remember anything other than the grey or purple gloves before it.

You could probably add the short lived Phantom of the Opera mask in late 95/early 96. There were several tweaks made from 96 through to 97 really.

You could probably add the short lived Phantom of the Opera mask in late 95/early 96. There were several tweaks made from 96 through to 97 really.

That was pretty much a tweak by necessity though, since he had to wear some kind of facial mask after Mabel legit crushed his orbital bone.

Just wondering about Scott Casey's WWF career. Ever since I first saw the 2nd Survivor Series, he's struck me as an odd one, as I know nothing about him. Every other guy on PPVs of that era had some fleeting moment of fame, or at least cropped up on Colloseum Videos. This guy, I know nothing about. Did he have any minor feuds or wins worth noting?

If you're talking about non-WWE stuff, Casey was a pretty big name in the Southwest with SCW/TASW and then World Class after the former group folded. At some point following his WWE gig he moved to Las Vegas and opened a wrestling school there.

Again with WM9, Luger lays out Perfect with the elbow. Perfect goes backstage looking for him and has a scrap, I believe HBK is involved. Does this go anywhere? All I remember is WMX, Perfect as guest ref screws Luger over and I consider that payback. But did anything happen in between? Or after for that matter?

Again with WM9, Luger lays out Perfect with the elbow. Perfect goes backstage looking for him and has a scrap, I believe HBK is involved. Does this go anywhere? All I remember is WMX, Perfect as guest ref screws Luger over and I consider that payback. But did anything happen in between? Or after for that matter?

Michaels and Perfect ended up feuding including a nice brawl outside the Manhattan Centre, where Perfect backdropped Michaels on Howard Finkel's car, and the lacklustre match at Summerslam. 

What people don't seem to remember about the Perfect/Luger stuff is that it was all about Heenan. There's a direct line from Survivor Series 92 to WM9 with Heenan championing Flair, then Razor vs Perfect and finally bringing in Luger to finish the job. 

Neither here nor there but I saw Perfect's first promo post WMX last night and they were definitely building to a Luger match with Monsoon giving him a ton of crap. 

What people don't seem to remember about the Perfect/Luger stuff is that it was all about Heenan. There's a direct line from Survivor Series 92 to WM9 with Heenan championing Flair, then Razor vs Perfect and finally bringing in Luger to finish the job. 

Neither here nor there but I saw Perfect's first promo post WMX last night and they were definitely building to a Luger match with Monsoon giving him a ton of crap. 

What was Perfect's last match in WWF - I don't recall any post Summerslam 1993....

Just wondering about Scott Casey's WWF career. Ever since I first saw the 2nd Survivor Series, he's struck me as an odd one, as I know nothing about him. Every other guy on PPVs of that era had some fleeting moment of fame, or at least cropped up on Colloseum Videos. This guy, I know nothing about. Did he have any minor feuds or wins worth noting?

I feel like Scott Casey took the place of S.D. Jones where he was a job guy but a job guy with a name and always looked just good enough to where some people thought he had a chance of winning matches.

What was Perfect's last match in WWF - I don't recall any post Summerslam 1993....

Last televised one I know about was on one of the Survivor Series build shows vs Yoko. 

I wonder, because he was going to go up against Earthquake at Mania and Earthquake beat Adam Bomb (his replacement) soundly both there and on a following Raw. i think they were building up Quake for a run vs Yoko but I don't feel like looking at the results to find out. Also, Tatanka was absolutely getting his win back at Royal Rumble if that match happened, so yeah. I don't know if Borga wasn't going to be depushed. He wrestled Rick Steiner at the January MSG house show.

What was the original plan for the whole Warrior/Jake/Undertaker story? The vignettes were great.

Half of this I read on some dirt sheet somehwere way back when. Other half is just me adding on to it just cuz.1. Warrior would be able to defeat Underatker at a major card because he was able to fight darkness with darkness, courtesy of Jake.2. Jake would then take control of Warrior, because he got so deep into his mind, and Jake would then use him to smash everyone that ever slighted Mister Roberts. So any former feud opponent, anyone that was a smartass on the Snake Pit, any announcer that thought Jake and Damian were creepy, a full half the roster could get way too much Destrucity raining down upon them.3. A returning Hulk Hogan, back from some movie, and The Undertaker have to work together, presumably at Wrestlemania in a tag match. Why? Because only Prayers, Vitamins, a shared laugh on the set of Suburban Commando, and the Power of the Urn could stop The One Snakier Nation.

Wasn't Earl Hebner orginally supposed to be a random guy that Dibiase paid to get surgery to look like Dave Hebner?  Did they ever explain that away or abandon it, or am I supposed to still assume that Earl is that same random dude and that Dave is the only real Hebner?

Also, I just watched the Summerslam match where Warrior beat Honky for the IC belt...and it has to be the funniest, funnest moment in history.

"I said I'd wrestlen anybody!  I didn't say I'd wrestle Warrior!!!!"

Last televised one I know about was on one of the Survivor Series build shows vs Yoko. 

Televised:

290 19.10.1993 Posted Image Mr. Perfect defeats Iron Mike Sharpe (1:48)
WWF Wrestling Challenge #375 @ Civic Center in Glens Falls, New York, USA

TV-Show

House show:

288 29.10.1993 Posted Image Mr. Perfect & Razor Ramon defeat Diesel & Irwin R. Schyster
WWF House Show @ Nassau Coliseum in Long Island, New York, USA
House Show

Here is an interesting thing I just learned, Akeem was originally scheduled to be on the Big Bossman's team but no-showed and they put Bad News Brown in the match as a replacement. 

It wasn't a no-show, Akeem misses like 6 weeks (11/13/89-12/20/89) late in '89 with an injury. 

I wonder, because he was going to go up against Earthquake at Mania and Earthquake beat Adam Bomb (his replacement) soundly both there and on a following Raw. i think they were building up Quake for a run vs Yoko but I don't feel like looking at the results to find out. Also, Tatanka was absolutely getting his win back at Royal Rumble if that match happened, so yeah. I don't know if Borga wasn't going to be depushed. He wrestled Rick Steiner at the January MSG house show.

I never realised how few televised jobs he did. Pinned at Survivor Series, but still made to look strong, then there was a match with Razor on a Coliseum Video that he lost after a Dusty finish, which was surprisingly good.

I remember reading ages ago that Keith History has it that he was going to win the title from 'Taker between the Rumble and Mania 10, and then drop it to Luger at Mania. I don't think this is true.

May be a minor one, but still one I've always wanted to know about. When and why did Demolition start wearing these masks? Also, how did they explain them going back to Mr. Fuji when it became just Smash and Crush?

Posted Image

To differentiate them from the LOD, I assume.