DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

I don't remember anyone calling it the WCW World Championship, but they also said WWF Championship, not WWF World Championship, so I'm not sure it's an issue or Vince purposefully trying to devalue the title.

Just read a recap of a Bill Watts interview on PWInsider.  He tells a story of a show that he had trouble getting to due to weather & tried to cancel twice but the promoter wouldn't let him.  He claims that he arrived at the arena after midnight & worked a 2-hour match.  I call BS on this one.

Just read a recap of a Bill Watts interview on PWInsider.  He tells a story of a show that he had trouble getting to due to weather & tried to cancel twice but the promoter wouldn't let him.  He claims that he arrived at the arena after midnight & worked a 2-hour match.  I call BS on this one.

I gotta call BS as well. If he would've worked a 2-hour match it would've gone down in the annals of wrestling and still be talked about today, even if it were an arena match.

I gotta call BS as well. If he would've worked a 2-hour match it would've gone down in the annals of wrestling and still be talked about today, even if it were an arena match.

Watts told the story on Busted Open on SiriusXM and just said they stretched the show and he worked a 45 minute match or some shit with double juice and that he didn't even talk to his opponent, let alone walk through the match beforehand. The point was, guys in his time were better workers because they could improvise more and go without a script. He was laughing about guys walking through a 5 minute squash backstage during his WWF time covering for Vince.
  • Like 1

I feel like it was even earlier than the Attitude Era. My memory might not be correct, but I'd swear that Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels were usually just called/announced WWF Champion.

warrior was announced as the "new world wrestling federation champion" at mania 6

In fact, I can't really remember the WWF presenting their champion as the 'world' champion. I do remember them referring to Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage as Heavyweight Champion at times, but I can't recall them being called World Champion. And by the 90's, I think they even dropped the Heavyweight portion of it and guys were simply known as WWF Champion.

Watts told the story on Busted Open on SiriusXM and just said they stretched the show and he worked a 45 minute match or some shit with double juice and that he didn't even talk to his opponent, let alone walk through the match beforehand. The point was, guys in his time were better workers because they could improvise more and go without a script. He was laughing about guys walking through a 5 minute squash backstage during his WWF time covering for Vince.

Depending on the era a lot of that's not the fault of the guys themselves as much as it is the people who trained them or WWE themselves these days since the system of learning how to do that is basically dead.

So why was Hade Vansen fired after his promo aired on Smackdown? They said Vince thought he was too small to compete with the Undertaker (He was 5'11") but why would they pull him in with a promo and just fire him the next week? Scrap him like Mordecai, sure, but to out of the blue fire him? Anybody?

So why was Hade Vansen fired after his promo aired on Smackdown? They said Vince thought he was too small to compete with the Undertaker (He was 5'11") but why would they pull him in with a promo and just fire him the next week? Scrap him like Mordecai, sure, but to out of the blue fire him? Anybody?

Makes even less sense since the idea supposedly was to give him a small stable of hosses that would do most of the in-ring work agaInst UT.  Basically, the template for the speculated/rumored Wyatt Family feud.

Watching the Mid-SOuth dvd (awesome btw), gave me a question/thought: Was Bill Watts on crack when he had the coal miners glove match at HH 92? Or was the Wheel not gimmicked? Or Both?

I think it's been stated many times the wheel wasn't gimmicked -- which itself could be an argument for Watts' state of mind.

Watching the Mid-SOuth dvd (awesome btw), gave me a question/thought: Was Bill Watts on crack when he had the coal miners glove match at HH 92? Or was the Wheel not gimmicked? Or Both?

I think it's been stated many times the wheel wasn't gimmicked -- which itself could be an argument for Watts' state of mind.

Sorry, I am not always in the loop on that stuff. . . 

I think I heard it was supposed to be gimmicked but wasn't. WCW gon' WCW.

I think I heard it was supposed to be gimmicked but wasn't. WCW gon' WCW.

I'm glad they actually gimmicked it the next year, because it gave us Cactus and Vader in a Texas death match rather than another goddamn cockamamie Coal Miner's Glove match. 

I think the Coal Miner's Glove match as a concept kind of gets a bum wrap since A) is a 'on a pole' match and people hate those and B) what the fuck is a coal miner's glove anyway?   If you got over the glove as a weapon (announcers have one in the prematch build and are all like 'its leather and steel!' and sell it as a gauntlet that would let Michael Cole punch through a door) it could get over as a more violent taped fist match.  It could be an easy specialty match/weapon for someone before they have to go against Big Show or something.

EDIT:  God damn does Randy Orton need a trademark loaded weapon.  Loaded glove, knee pad, or elbow pad would be great for the act. 

• Like 1

It was gimmicked and the plan all along. It was one of the big mid south gimmick matches (dibiase vs Dugan coal miner / tuxedo match was a big deal iirc). Or at least that's what I remember or have heard over the years. I know I was mad/confused when I watched it.

It was gimmicked and the plan all along. It was one of the big mid south gimmick matches (dibiase vs Dugan coal miner / tuxedo match was a big deal iirc). Or at least that's what I remember or have heard over the years. I know I was mad/confused when I watched it.

That match was awesome, but it had the cage as well, so there wasn't just the climb drama. . .