DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Any truth to what I heard a few years ago that Misawa and Kawada had a backstage donnybrook? Also, whatever happened to Chad Austin after New Jack whipped the bejesus out of him in ECW?

Apparently Austin came to Jack with all kinds of ideas of what to do in the match where he and Blue Meanie were set totake on the Gangstas, and Jack, ever the diplomat, took that as disrespect . Jack and Mustapha got Meanie out of the ring and Jack proceeded to kick the dogshit out of Austin, basically as a "know your place jobber" kind of deal.

Kawada and Misawa being pretty high level amateur guys, their "fight" may have amounted to just two guys locked up for a moment and neither doing anything.

Any truth to what I heard a few years ago that Misawa and Kawada had a backstage donnybrook? Also, whatever happened to Chad Austin after New Jack whipped the bejesus out of him in ECW?

Apparently Austin came to Jack with all kinds of ideas of what to do in the match where he and Blue Meanie were set totake on the Gangstas, and Jack, ever the diplomat, took that as disrespect . Jack and Mustapha got Meanie out of the ring and Jack proceeded to kick the dogshit out of Austin, basically as a "know your place jobber" kind of deal.

Didn't Austin cut some sort of promo before that match about how he was going to Smokey Mountain?

So basically Hart, Perez or both are full of shit?  OK.  Well at least talking about Al Perez has been more interesting than watching him.

My money would be on both of them being full of it.  Hart wasn't exactly 100% honest in his book - yeah, I'm sure he was making $100k a year working weekends in Georgia in 1980 or whatever - so it wouldn't surprise me if he was making this story or.  Or exaggerating.  Ditto for Al Perez.

So when the Mike Awesome and Tazz title change while Tazz was in WWE and Mike was heading to WCW which then lead to Tommy Dreamer getting the title. Some felt it wasn't a good idea to put the title on Tommy so if that's true who should have gotten the title?

That's a good question. Because he held it less than Tommy Rich held his one world title, he seemed to be the only one legit enough to win and eventually lose to Justin Credible

Tanaka wasn't in ECW from Living Dangerously (3/12) to April 21st. The title change was on April 12th.

The card on the night of Awesome's first no-show (4/6) was

April 6, 2000 in Cleveland, OH

Agora Theater drawing 1,150

Prodigy beat Chilly Willy.
Mikey Whipwreck beat Johnny Swinger.
CW Anderson & Bill Wiles beat Danny Doring & Amish Roadkill.
Yoshihiro Tajiri beat Kid Kash.
Raven beat Little Guido.
Lance Storm & Dawn Marie beat Nova & Jazz.
Tommy Dreamer & Sandman beat Vic Grimes & Angel.
ECW TV Champ Super Crazy beat Rhino.

to give you an idea of what they were working with

Tanaka might have been out of the country. I don't know. Wasn't Dreamer winning sorta like a thank you/achievement award anyway?

Supposedly.  At the time, there was a story going around that Dreamer still didn't really want the belt, and the 30 min angle was cooked up to satisfy him (fairly sure Meltzer has said that. but I'm not going to try to look it up).

Tanaka might have been out of the country. I don't know. Wasn't Dreamer winning sorta like a thank you/achievement award anyway?

Supposedly.  At the time, there was a story going around that Dreamer still didn't really want the belt, and the 30 min angle was cooked up to satisfy him (fairly sure Meltzer has said that. but I'm not going to try to look it up).

Dreamer's said so publicly on more than one occasion.

I remember reading the report from the ECW website about Taz losing to Tommy and then Tommy losing to Justin Credible. I wasn't really an ECW fan but I had heard of the big names and had no idea who Justin Credible was or why Tommy lost to him. Ah the good ol' days.

It was Lesnar that was furious over it, because the agreement was that Lesnar would do the job, but Cena would end up stretchered out and off TV for a few weeks to sell the beating.  Instead Cena ad-libbed a random promo (that probably was concussion-related) and was back on RAW the next night as if everything was fine.