DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

He definitely wrestles afterwards, but he does look pretty limited....not too surprising since he just had the surgery and it must be extra tough for a dude that big to come back from. He spends a few weeks looking for a partner to take on Akbar's crew (itself an interesting little angle, as none of the faces trust him enough to team with him, a definite switch from now where it seems like a dude turns face and his past is immediately forgotten). He brings in the Assassin, who turns on him in like 30 seconds, and finally ends up with Iron Mike Sharpe as a partner (face Mike Sharpe is another mind trip, he doesn't yell when he wrestles, it's strangely distracting in its absence). I'm a couple months into the angle and their currently building to a match against Killer Khan (recently added to Akbar's stable)....I'm thinking it is not going to be good.

• 2 months later...

Ok this is somewhat random but....

I was watching the 1/16/82 Spectrum show with the regular announce team of Dick Graham and Kal Rudman. Jesse Ventura comes out for his match and they go on talking about how his physique reminds them of a DECEASED Superstar Billy Graham, and it's not just a slip up. You see, apparently he died from cancer, from using too many steroids. Unless I'm very sorely mistaken, I think Mr. Graham is still alive in 2018. Does anyone know anything about this at all?

Quick search on the subject brought up this old thread on Reddit about it, including links to some Tweets from Meltzer about the incident. Apparently Monsoon refused to retract the story even after Graham called him to tell him he wasn't dead!

1 hour ago, sydneybrown said:

In defense of Gorilla, Billy Graham in 1982 did look like a guy who was about to die from cancer...

Counterpoint: he didn't. And if that were the way it is Jake would've been reported dead more times than Betty White at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a random thought I had recently: was Steve Austin the first big champion to be too cool to actually wear the belt to the ring? Now most of them do it, carrying the belts on their shoulder because it looks "cooler". I wonder if that's been happening for ever or if it's something that Stone Cold kind of began.

Seems like it. I wish more of them would wear it than sling it over their shoulder like an asshole. But I guess since the word “belt” is forbidden, it’s not supposed to be worn as one. Granted they’re are a few who still do, but you get the gist. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

Here's a random thought I had recently: was Steve Austin the first big champion to be too cool to actually wear the belt to the ring? Now most of them do it, carrying the belts on their shoulder because it looks "cooler". I wonder if that's been happening for ever or if it's something that Stone Cold kind of began.

I think Diesel did it before Austin did.

Cbo2Ojs.jpg

vlcsnap-00223.jpg?i=841002080

• Like 1

Are you sure? I always remember him wearing it and doing the big reveal when he got in the ring. It was standard Hitman. That second rope bounce through the ropes, quick zip down of the jacket and the “fuck yeah” Bret pose with the belt snapped on. 

• Like 2

I was listening to Billy Gunn on SCSA podcast, and they got to talking about Bart Gunn, what he's up to now and the Brawl For All thing and the whole situation just irrationally pissed me off. 

The way they treated Bart and fed him to Butterbean for having the gall to win the tournament and upset their plans by being, y'know, a genuinely tough bad ass hombre and then releasing him was just disgraceful.

I'm not saying he should've been given that main event push they wanted to give Steve fucking Williams (and thank god he didn't win so we were saved from JR giving Dr Death a constant verbal blowjob on commentary) but Bart deserved way more than what he got for sure. At least Japan welcomed him with open arms for putting Dr Death down and he made some big paydays off it 

• Like 3

I still prefer the champion to come out wearing the belt around his waist.  It just feels like the champion thinks the championship is a big deal.  I'm not opposed to slinging the belt over your shoulder if the plates face the camera, but it seems way too casual when guys sling the belt backwards over their shoulder.

I assume guys wearing the belt around their waist is too "pro wrestling" for Vince, hence the shift.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Um, doesn't like, every title holder in WWE current wear their belt to the ring except the Usos?

Maybe a lot of them do. Bliss does. 

I was watching Orton from 2017, and he was carrying it on his shoulder as he came out. It's what made me think of it. 

1 hour ago, Raziel403 said:

Um, doesn't like, every title holder in WWE current wear their belt to the ring except the Usos?

I don't remember, tbh.  Not something I pay too much attention to and - honestly - I can't get through 2 or 3 hours of WWE without multi-tasking.  I'm as likely to be checking email or surfing the internet as I am to be actually watching what's onscreen.  When I picture guys like the Miz and Roman, it's with belt slung over shoulder.  Charlotte normally wears the belt, right?  Not sure what the Bar do.  Entrances are usually time I spend reading an email or ordering a book from Amazon.  Unless it's the Undertaker's entrance, which gives me time to take a shower, wash the car, cook a meal, etc.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Keep Calm, Akira Hokuto On said:

I honestly don't remember, tbh.  Not something I pay too much attention to and - honestly - I can't get through 2 or 3 hours of WWE without multi-tasking.  I'm as likely to be checking email or surfing the internet as I am to be actually watching what's onscreen.  When I picture guys like the Miz and Roman, it's with belt slung over shoulder.  Charlotte normally wears the belt, right?  Not sure what the Bar do.  Entrances are usually time I spend reading an email or ordering a book from Amazon.  Unless it's the Undertaker's entrance, which gives me time to take a shower, wash the car, cook a meal, etc.

Charlotte does like her father. The Bar wear them too.