DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

27 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

He also had that Indian Deathlock.

Isn't this why Edge started using the Edgeacution or whatever it was called? Thats was actually a pretty cool move.

AH.  Yep, that was the time period I'm talking about. 

23 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Don't forget about THE BROCK LOCK

That was a fucking sweet-ass move.  I only saw him put it on smaller opponents, though, specifically Benoit and Misterio.  I remember that the Artist Formerly Known as Claudio Castagnoli used it on the indies as The Neutralizer.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

Indian Deathlock has got to be one of the worst submissions in history. 

I wish I could find the gif of Les Kellett being sat in it nonplussed, but it appears LARIATOOO has had his twitter account suspended

You shut your heathen mouth. That was Harley's finisher, and when he did it with that slooooow falling tree crush to it it ruled.

The Figure Four is technically just an Indian Deathlock variation so there

EDIT: Man, thinking about it, was Harley the first guy with both a submission finisher and a high-impact finisher? He had the deathlock and the flying headbutt.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

You shut your heathen mouth. That was Harley's finisher, and when he did it with that slooooow falling tree crush to it it ruled.

I know, I know. I love Harley, and his methodical standing up and falling grind was great, but I just can’t see past Kellett these days.

Harley has had so many finishes over the years: stalling suplex, Indian deathlock, fisherman suplex, falling headbutt, diving headbutt. He was the man, I really need to get myself a tee from the PWT site, been meaning to since his death 

• Like 1

I think it was more in those days there weren't really bonafide finishers, rather just trademark moves, even though we think of them in our time as finishers. I wish wrestling would get away from adherence to finishers and more towards that way in order to create craftier finishes and more original matches.

EDIT: Haha! How about AEW books an Omega match where the heel challenges him to a "No Finishers" match.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

It's funny, when I think about all the times I saw Harley in All Japan, I can't say I know what his finisher was supposed to be. He just beat you with whatever he felt like.

“What do you want to do for the finish Harley?”

“What’s your finish?”

”Top rope drop kick”

*harley takes a drag of his cigarette* “I’ll move.”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

The diving headbutt also gives us an anecdote demonstrating how far back "killing the business" critiques go. From a Karl Gotch 1990 interview in the WON:

WON: One of the things Larry Malenko told me and I don't mean necessarily Billington or Satoru Sayama is that a lot of wrestlers nowadays look like a trampoline act.

KG: That's it. Nowhere could you ever see a guy crawl up on the turnbuckles. It's just like the Empire State building. Just stand there and wait for someone to push you off. Where is it ever logical to put a guy on the turnbuckle while you stand on the second rope?

WON: You mean for a suplex?

KG: Right. Then there was this other idiot that they made World Champion. This clown who was like a kamikaze.

WON: Harley Race?

KG: Yeah, Harley Race. He'd dive with the head-butt and he looked like a kamikaze coming in. That's the trip of no return that all these guys travel on the yellow brick road. It's not believable. How do you want people to believe this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I watched Takada/Fujiwara from '90 UWF last night and wish they would be spot monkeys. It finally got good but the first 8 minutes or so was legitimately just them locking up and moving around while locked up. I was on an edible and had no sense of time so it felt like an hour in real time. I could hear my friends moaning while they were silent. Again, the last 5-10 minutes were fucking dope but getting there was such a chore.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Did the same thing in the Maeda match from January 1990. There was an excellent match in there but they spent the first half laying on each other with absolutely no action. I was a massive UWF fan 15 years ago. I've watched some of the straight fire matches like Nakano/Funaki endlessly but the longer "epic" matches... I don't remember them having this much empty fucking filler. Fujiwara/Maeda had a bit of it too but there was a clear story of Maeda outgunning him and Fujiwara using his craft to turn the tables constantly. Maeda eventually did that to him and it was GG. So in part, Takada wrestles a defensive style in UWF but it's also a thing a lot of the big bois did at least near the end of the promotion's run. Yamazaki/Anjo from around that same time was worked in a more traditional manner, thankfully.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

I am 100% positive if we'd had the internet in the late 70's and early 80's there'd be grumpy old timers from the 50's and 40's shitting on the Rock and Roll Express for using too many dropkicks.

Why stop there? Guarantee you could go back to the 30s and someone would be pissed off at Danno O'Mahoney burning through too many Irish whips. "These kids have no idea how to pace themselves. Why, I bet none of them have ever held a cravat longer than 90 minutes."

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Seriously. While I do think we have hit the point of diminishing returns on a lot of the flashy shit, this talk has been going on since wrestling has been around. Scaling things back a skosh would be ideal but if kids gonna do crazy stunt shit to get over then let them. 

It’s still fucking raining.

Does anybody remember 2 weird Eddie Guerrero matches on Nitro?  I remember he’d been out several weeks then wrestled 2 matches in 2 or 3 weeks before missing time again. And he wasn’t his cheerful self that he always was since his debut. 

I think this was in between his face run (debut) and his reluctant heel turn but I could be wrong about that part. Alot of people forget he was a reluctant heel at first, being accused of trying to steal Jericho’s Cruiserweight belt when he was only trying to protect it from Syxx for him.

Maybe they were testing the waters for a heel turn in 2 matches before going through with it. 

Was that around the time Bischoff sent him to New Japan without consulting him to do Black Tiger for one show, and he got really pissed off he missed his kid's birthday?

I feel like there are probably a lot of occasions Eddie had cause to be mad about how he was being used, so this could be off by years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Was that around the time Bischoff sent him to New Japan without consulting him to do Black Tiger for one show, and he got really pissed off he missed his kid's birthday?

I feel like there are probably a lot of occasions Eddie had cause to be mad about how he was being used, so this could be off by years.

Gosh only knows. In the meantime I was looking it up and apparently him and Eric fought almost as bad as Flair and Eric. So who knows.

1 week ago today in the darkest hour of rain I popped in the Sting DVD set and watched the doc if you remember. I went ahead and watched the HHH match today. Pretty stupid. Not all bad but...ugh. Maybe it was all bad Idk.

What was that HHH entrance a 1970s sitcom intro? Or early 80s as Lemmy and Arnold weren’t both famous yet in the 70s. I thought Lemmy was about to bust out YOU’RE GONNA MAKE IT AFTER ALL when the Golden Gate Bridge that looked like the 1 from that show came up lol!

I expected that much from the match honestly. They did a good job wrestling, and the crowd was all in. When they were quiet they were Japan quiet not boring TV quiet. HHH winning wasn’t the worst thing that could have happened, and it wasn’t clean even though they tried to sell it as clean. Nobody bought it, and I think it would have been taken to task in Sting’s WWE run had he not gotten hurt. 

The NWO rescuing Sting was stupid. I guess they were in better shape than Luger and Flair though, and of course The Steiners aren’t allowed in WWE lol! The sad truth is that probably was their thinking. 2 of those guys might not have made the walk down the aisle. The NWO did manage that in 3rd gear.

The announcing was shit. Sting must have fucked JBL’s mother. Then if you can wrap your mind around all that being a work then it wasn’t a very good one. Lee Marshall and drunk Bobby Heenan could have done a better job calling that match than those 3 did.

It’s to bad he got hurt. I’m telling myself they would have righted some wrongs but instead this is what we got.

Maybe I'm crazy... Maybe I am. HOWEVER, any match in which aging Kevin Nash feigns a quad injury in self-parody cannot be anything less than great. The booking was the shits as they completely fucked up the whole point of Sting's initial raison d'etre in WWE: to fuck off The Authority in favour of celebrating another touchdown on WCW's grave. Yeah, of COURSE the nWo shouldn't be bailing out Sting, the guy that beat them with a baseball bat for a year. BUT THEY'RE WCW. And even the story the match told and the stupid handshake post-match...  It's a lot of bad... but it's still incredibly fun somehow and pretty much everything on that show delivered.

No. Sting vs Triple H was a pile of shite.

If you want to watch a good Sting match from the last few years, watch one of his TNA main events. Not the Jeff Hardy one though. Sting vs Hogan (in TNA) was better than Sting vs Hunter. Although the Bobby Roode match was probably the best one.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 2:48 PM, Death From Above said:

It's funny, when I think about all the times I saw Harley in All Japan, I can't say I know what his finisher was supposed to be. He just beat you with whatever he felt like.

"What's your finish?"

Harley takes a drag off of his cig.

"Being Harley Race".

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

1 week ago today in the darkest hour of rain I popped in the Sting DVD set and watched the doc if you remember. I went ahead and watched the HHH match today. Pretty stupid. Not all bad but...ugh. Maybe it was all bad Idk.

What was that HHH entrance a 1970s sitcom intro? Or early 80s as Lemmy and Arnold weren’t both famous yet in the 70s. I thought Lemmy was about to bust out YOU’RE GONNA MAKE IT AFTER ALL when the Golden Gate Bridge that looked like the 1 from that show came up lol!

I expected that much from the match honestly. They did a good job wrestling, and the crowd was all in. When they were quiet they were Japan quiet not boring TV quiet. HHH winning wasn’t the worst thing that could have happened, and it wasn’t clean even though they tried to sell it as clean. Nobody bought it, and I think it would have been taken to task in Sting’s WWE run had he not gotten hurt. 

The NWO rescuing Sting was stupid. I guess they were in better shape than Luger and Flair though, and of course The Steiners aren’t allowed in WWE lol! The sad truth is that probably was their thinking. 2 of those guys might not have made the walk down the aisle. The NWO did manage that in 3rd gear.

The announcing was shit. Sting must have fucked JBL’s mother. Then if you can wrap your mind around all that being a work then it wasn’t a very good one. Lee Marshall and drunk Bobby Heenan could have done a better job calling that match than those 3 did.

It’s to bad he got hurt. I’m telling myself they would have righted some wrongs but instead this is what we got.

Have you listened to the episode on this on Arn's podcast? Arn takes the commentary to task for what you mentioned.

I’m behind on everything and don’t even know how Podcasts work ?

EDIT: I just found it on YouTube. I didn’t know many of those shoots were Podcasts. I thought they were just regular shoots.

Anyway Arn was right. My favorite part of it was this quote, following an example he made through commentary. “There’s so many ways to put your opponent over without demeaning your self.”

Edited by BloodyChamp

Rewatching 91 WCW and Bobby Eaton's singles push is confusing the hell out of me.

He comes out in his old MX gear, crowd chants are piped in over the PA (to convince people to cheer him) and yet when the bell rings he just slots straight back into working as a heel. Perplexing that such a great mechanic doesn't seem to get it.