DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

That was also notable since it included one of the first (if not THE first) video promos showing someone doing something prior to wrestling by showing clips of Quake's sumo career. At the time that was almost unheard of.

I kinda find it funny that Quake didn't want to work Yoko, since they put him over so big in the Sumo deal. I imagine that he would have gotten a good push come 95, just because they were so desperate for guys with name recognition.  He would have been one of the few holdovers from the Hulkamania era.

Did a character as compelling as Crow Sting ever get ruined as fast?  I remember minutes after he won the title at Starrcade 97 he was screaming like a fucking idiot.  I really felt they could have made him the WCW version of Taker.  Stoic, quiet, a little scary at times.  Instead he is ripping off Jim Carrey in the Mask yelling "It's Showtime!!!!" over and over and over.  He was just another guy within a few months.  So depressing.

Well said. I didn't like it either, plus Sting then goes on to join the n.W.o Wolfpac. Crow Sting was my favourite version of Sting, Wolfpac my least favourite. Shame seeing what happened to Sting from the night of Starrcade 1997 to Halloween Havoc 1998.

• Like 1

Did a character as compelling as Crow Sting ever get ruined as fast?  I remember minutes after he won the title at Starrcade 97 he was screaming like a fucking idiot.  I really felt they could have made him the WCW version of Taker.  Stoic, quiet, a little scary at times.  Instead he is ripping off Jim Carrey in the Mask yelling "It's Showtime!!!!" over and over and over.  He was just another guy within a few months.  So depressing.

Well said. I didn't like it either, plus Sting then goes on to join the n.W.o Wolfpac. Crow Sting was my favourite version of Sting, Wolfpac my least favourite. Shame seeing what happened to Sting from the night of Starrcade 1997 to Halloween Havoc 1998.

well, what was the logical conclusion to the "Sting v. WCW" element to the gimmick?

it started because they thought he turned, so he decided to forsake WCW and go on his own. For a little bit, he was doing the trust exercise with his back turned and a bat laid out. Was the conclusion one where Sting sees these WCW guys celebrating with him and he buries that hatchet for good?

But should it have turned out that the presence of the NWO, even post Starrcade 97 would warp Sting away from his pre-NWO persona?

And in all honesty, forming a Wolfpac stable wasn't all that bad of an idea, but having it be the NWO Wolfpac made it worse. Have the Wolfpac be guys who have some shallow alliance with WCW guys vs the remaining NWO guys? sure. Have a good-NWO and bad-NWO? Bah.

Also, it's kinda remarkable that Hogan had 3 "big title losses" in the span of a year from Luger to Sting to Goldberg. Isn't it?

yeah, Dino Bravo took over a chunk of the Montreal black market cigarette game due to his celebrity value, so they got an inside guy and killed him

In Rick Martel's shoot he elaborated more on the Dino thing.  Dino's uncle was second in command in the Montreal mafia and since Dino was making so much money some of the local cocaine peddlers for the mob wanted a piece of the action so Dino let them take a shipment but they messed it up and the cops busted the deal.  i think the mob thought Dino ratted them out so then pop pop bang bang.  During the Montreal Canadiens game to boot

yeah, Dino Bravo took over a chunk of the Montreal black market cigarette game due to his celebrity value, so they got an inside guy and killed him

In Rick Martel's shoot he elaborated more on the Dino thing.  Dino's uncle was second in command in the Montreal mafia and since Dino was making so much money some of the local cocaine peddlers for the mob wanted a piece of the action so Dino let them take a shipment but they messed it up and the cops busted the deal.  i think the mob thought Dino ratted them out so then pop pop bang bang.  During the Montreal Canadiens game to boot

Lesson to be learnt: don't get involved with dirty cocaine dealers / users. 

You could have just said that they played the Islanders, and the answer would have been clear as day.

Not for nothing, when I picture the Rougeau/Dynamite deal, it plays out very comically in my head.  I picture Jacques in his ridiculously heel voice yelling "HEY TOM" in the same way he yells "HEY GUY" in the Quebecer theme song.  Then he cold cocks him just like this

http://vimeo.com/66920288

Yeah I think Vince made him pay to get the teeth fixed.

The version I've heard of that is that the company had already paid to have Dynamite's teeth fixed.  And them, when Dynamite and Rougeau finally sat down face-to-face, Dynamite demanded that Jacques repay him for the dental work.  So Dynamite collected twice and made some money on the deal.

Wasn't there a story that Dynamite was afraid that the Rougeaus had ties to the Canadian mafia or some shit?  I also recall that Jacques ended up paying to fix his teeth.

Yeah, there were some rumors that the Rougeaus had ties to organized crime, which was why Dynamite didn't try to confront Jacques physically.

Re: Crow Sting.  I always thought the logical conclusion to the angle should have been Sting going back to the :"Surfer Sting" character after the nWo was defeated.  To me, Crow Sting was a good short-term character.  Who knew Borden would still be doing it almost 20 years later

• Like 1