DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

On 5/7/2020 at 7:05 PM, Matt D said:

Since that came up, here's a stupid question. It wasn't McAdam who said he was trying to get a deal with some streaming company, right? There was an old tape trader (I think) that also promoted that was posting clips he had of Sabu and lucha guys in a tag match. I thought it was somewhere in the midwest but I could have been wrong.

That sounds like John Arezzi, who promoted a tour I believe in the Philippines and Southeast Asia with a mix of ECW and lucha guys in 94/95. He posted some photos and short clips from that tour on his Twitter page and implied that he was looking for a streaming partner. I think he might have lucked into some matchups and team combinations that never occurred in the U.S. I believe it was called IWAS.

EDIT: found one of his posts. I mixed up two separate tours he ran, one in Philippines and SE Asia in 93/94 with Jake Roberts, Kevin Sullivan, and a bunch of ex-WWF names, and then he did another one in South America in 1995 with more ECW/lucha guys. One of those shows was headlined by Sabu and Psicosis vs Konnan and Rey Mysterio, which sounds like it could have been bonkers in 1995.

Edited by clintthecrippler
  • Thanks 2

Going down the YouTube pike this morning and found the World Wrestling All-Stars "Revolution" PPV from Las Vegas back in 2002.

The countdown to the PPV was quite the spectacle -- Randy Savage was announced as appearing, but backed out 24 hours before the show in a money dispute. Kevin Nash and Scott Hall were announced early on, but both signed with WWE before the PPV. Road Dogg no-showed. Jerry Lynn made a surprise appearance.

One odd thing I didn't recall. Scott Steiner shows up and throws Disco Inferno (who was doing commentary) into the ring for an impromptu match. I remember that match, but I don't recall that Disco was shoved into Steiner … by a suit-wearing Hiroyoshi Tenzan.

I was curious why Tenzan (who, AFAIK, was never identified on the broadcast) was randomly appearing on a C-level wrestling PPV. Was he looking to leave NJPW (which was deep into Inoki-ism and shooty fights at the time) and testing the waters?

(One of the funnier bits I remember about the show -- per the Observer -- was that WWA head honcho Andrew McManus really wanted Christian to be his big surprise at the PPV, since he was just "fired on Raw." Apparently no one had the heart to tell him it was all an angle and Christian was still on the WWE roster.)

1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

This is a pretty good indication of what happened to WWA...

https://amp.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/presenting-mr-mcmanus-20111222-1p728.html

an utterly ridiculous read. ridiculous not because it's ill-informed or not well written, but because it's criminal that this guy could get away with the same scam for DECADES.

also, i did not realize that McManus also promoted the Impact MMA event from 2009. 

2 hours ago, Southside Jim said:

Does anyone know the result of this match?  I haven't been able to find anything.

Wikipedia says the Heatseekers have had the "Smokey Mountain" belts since 2014 so I guess they won.  BTW, I don't know why Cornette acted like it was impossible for the Heavenly Bodies to wrestle.  Yes, Del Ray has passed but Tom Prichard and Stan Lane were the original team and both were (and are) very much alive.

What would people say are the BEST Konnan matches? Because I understand his popularity in the abstract, but I'd love to be pointed to either a really great match of his or at least a match that shows how over he was at his peak. I more or less only know him from nWo-era WCW onward and I don't remember being exactly blown away by anything of his that didn't involve Disco Inferno dancing in front of it.

8 hours ago, The Idiot King said:

What would people say are the BEST Konnan matches? Because I understand his popularity in the abstract, but I'd love to be pointed to either a really great match of his or at least a match that shows how over he was at his peak. I more or less only know him from nWo-era WCW onward and I don't remember being exactly blown away by anything of his that didn't involve Disco Inferno dancing in front of it.

My friend you are asking for a chimera, an interesting thing that doesn't really exist. Konnan was never more than passable in the ring, but by God does that man know how to work a crowd. His "best" matches are probably from Mexico and before he lost the mask.  Don't expect much more than punch punch, kick kick, suplex rinse repeat; but his timing and the way he gets the crowd invested are things of beauty. In many respects Konnan is the Dusty Rhodes of his era and place, a very limited worker who knew how to get the max return on what he brought to the table.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Two related questions: Whatever happened to "Dirty" Don Montoya?

And his Cagematch page says he was trained by Mike Modest, which seems both temporally and geographically questionable.  Anybody know if that's really the case?

On 5/19/2020 at 10:57 PM, The Idiot King said:

Not the answer you are looking for but the most memorable Konnan match in WCW was Rick Steiner vs. Konnan on the second to last Nitro.  Either Konnan was selling well or Rick really was beating the shit out of him.  And Rick MURDERED Lash LeRoux a few weeks prior, so I'm guessing the latter.

11 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Two related questions: Whatever happened to "Dirty" Don Montoya?

And his Cagematch page says he was trained by Mike Modest, which seems both temporally and geographically questionable.  Anybody know if that's really the case?

He may have done some training with Modest at some point, but there is no way that he was his initial trainer. Modest at one point won the PCW Heavyweight Title, but that would have been a few years at least after Don Montoya debuted. That's likely as close as they ever would have been together, as Modest didn't work any of the XPW Philadelphia shows. Modest didn't get out of California much, if at all before the PCW work. 

So here's a random one:

Does anyone have any Don Kernodle recommendations? Watching old Mid-Atlantic and he's become one of my favourites, but I've never seen any matches of his outside of that run from 82 to 86. Does he have any standout 70s stuff?

His career seems pretty weird for a territory wrestler in that he pretty much stayed in Mid-Atlantic the whole time. Other than a year in Georgia, a couple tours of Japan, less than a year in the WWF and spot shows elsewhere, he stayed in the Mid-Atlantic territory for like 13 years of so. That's assuming that cagematch isn't missing anything. Did he have a job outside of wrestling and not want to move around too much? Even with having a territory you'd expect to see the odd couple month run in other areas.

E: Just noticed I wrote St. Louis when I meant Georgia

Edited by elizium

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

He must have worked for Fuller at some point, because some funny stories have come up involving him on the Studcast. 

Is that Southeastern? He's listed as having 3 matches over Sep/Oct 76. I don't know how often they ran, but I'm assuming that's not complete. Especially since there's a gap between late October 76 to the end of February 77.

Sep 24/76 Time limit draw with Dr. D

Oct 8/76 Team with Jerry Stubbs, lost to Dr. D and Bill Ash

Oct 10/76 Lost to Bill Ash

Next listed match is Feb 25/77 in Georgia, where he stays until October

Edited by elizium

On 5/19/2020 at 10:57 PM, The Idiot King said:

Not a match, but any excuse to post this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Are there any recommended matches/segments out there of JJ Dillon from his time as a wrestler before he worked as a manager? I'm kinda curious.

There’s actually a match from msg from when after he had become a manager, but it’s played straight. 

this is from Toronto in 84 

Edited by odessasteps

Am I right in thinking the Can-Am Connection was the first attempt by WWF to do the good looking babyface tag team? I can't think of any other examples (though I definitely could be wrong). Having watched some 1987, they were doing women mobbing them and trying to rip off their clothes, something that I don't really remember them doing with any other wrestlers, let alone teams.

24 minutes ago, Liam said:

Am I right in thinking the Can-Am Connection was the first attempt by WWF to do the good looking babyface tag team? I can't think of any other examples (though I definitely could be wrong). Having watched some 1987, they were doing women mobbing them and trying to rip off their clothes, something that I don't really remember them doing with any other wrestlers, let alone teams.

I may throw Windham/Rotunda in there before those two. I specifically remember some Tuesday Night Titans where they brought in a bunch of teenage girls on the set to scream and gawk when those two were being interviewed.

• Like 1

I haven’t seen any of Konnan’s supposed best matches but I’ve read that he was solid before he got lazy. I could see it honestly as he was solid in WCW on his way up to the US Title. Even carried OMG to a couple good matches. For a guy his size he wasn’t bad. People forget he wasn’t exactly a cruiserweight. 

Same goes for Zenk, speaking of the Can Am Connection. He wasn’t a cruiserweight but he could hang in the old lightweight division with all of those guys.