DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

30 minutes ago, (BP) said:

They had spare time instead of overruns? They must not have had shitty original programming that needed low key ratings manipulation.   

It used to air on Turner Classic Movies. No other programming beyond 1940s classics....and then WCW Nitro inexplicably shoehorned in at 10pm Saturday.

Ad free though which probably helped.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

It used to air on Turner Classic Movies. No other programming beyond 1940s classics....and then WCW Nitro inexplicably shoehorned in at 10pm Saturday.

Ad free though which probably helped.

That’s the coolest thing I’ve ever heard. Now I wish Turner had a synergy strategy that involved Robert Osborne introducing matches and Heenan doing color commentary over Andy Hardy movies. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It disgusts me that 96 is classed as old school now, but anyway: I just saw a clip of Stone Cold winning a Slammy, walking off stage, then beating the piss out of Doink. Then, for some reason, the Blackjacks also join in beating up Doink. Were Windham and Bradshaw due to be paired with Stone Cold or something? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

It disgusts me that 96 is classed as old school now, but anyway: I just saw a clip of Stone Cold winning a Slammy, walking off stage, then beating the piss out of Doink. Then, for some reason, the Blackjacks also join in beating up Doink. Were Windham and Bradshaw due to be paired with Stone Cold or something? 

Do you really need a reason to beat up Doink?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 4/24/2020 at 5:05 PM, (BP) said:

Now I wish Turner had a synergy strategy that involved Robert Osborne introducing matches and Heenan doing color commentary over Andy Hardy movies. 

"Hi, I'm Robert Osborne, and tonight on TCM Wrestling Underground, we have a TRULY SCARY match for you workrate fanatics: it's Jun Izumida vs. Yoshihiro Takayama from the tournament to crown the very first GHC Champion.  

Now I remember talking to Jun Akiyama as part of last year's TCM Cruise, and he explained that it was Takayama's idea to let Izumida call and lead the match, and he admitted in retrospect that may have been a bad idea.  

Many of you may remember Izumida as IZU, a comedy character who did a "savage native" gimmick similar to Giant Kimala II, but you might be surprised to find out he had a serious side to himself as well.

From March 22nd, 2001, here's Jun Izumida vs. Yoshihiro Takayama!"

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Since that came up, here's a stupid question. It wasn't McAdam who said he was trying to get a deal with some streaming company, right? There was an old tape trader (I think) that also promoted that was posting clips he had of Sabu and lucha guys in a tag match. I thought it was somewhere in the midwest but I could have been wrong.