DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

1 hour ago, BloodyChamp said:

Yep lol Malenko wasn’t into it as his wife was in the hospital or something IIRC

She was in labor, I believe. I think Tenay mentions this during the match or at least the next night on Nitro. 

To which I'm assuming Heenan said something derogatory.

I obviously understand Malenko but I always thought that had everybody else did business right that night, he would have to. You had Hogan up and quitting, Nash, and Raven. So Malenko said f*** it me to I’m ready to go home and see my youngun. None of those guys have ever admitted it but they were all in in WCW until that night. 

14 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

"The Real Reason (Men Commit Crimes)".

As a kid I felt it was my duty as a wrestling fan to support any pro wrestler’s movie, so I definitely watched Shutter Speed. I remember trying to get my mom to let me rent The Real Reason (Men Commit Crimes) on PPV but she thought it was a soft core movie. 

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Can a show with Malenko/Guerrero on it really be the worst show ever? 

Yes.  I have almost no memory of that match, not to mention the best guys in the world can still have serious letdowns.  Chris Benoit wrestled Eddie Guerrero at One Night Stand 05 which at the time was one of the best received WWE PPVs ever and you could argue that may have been the worst match on the show.  It was absolutely the most disappointing.

6 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

Yes.  I have almost no memory of that match, not to mention the best guys in the world can still have serious letdowns.  Chris Benoit wrestled Eddie Guerrero at One Night Stand 05 which at the time was one of the best received WWE PPVs ever and you could argue that may have been the worst match on the show.  It was absolutely the most disappointing.

I can't remember where I heard it, maybe Prichard's or JR's podcast, but apparently Eddy was in a really shitty mood that night and absolutely did not want to be there.

4 minutes ago, cwoy2j said:

I can't remember where I heard it, maybe Prichard's or JR's podcast, but apparently Eddy was in a really shitty mood that night and absolutely did not want to be there.

Eddie was in his Rey feud and did not want to lose to anyone.  I get what he was trying to do (I don't want to be here, screw you all, I'll ruin this match) but it didn't work.

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The one spot I'll always remember from Benoit/Guerrero at ONS was Benoit hitting Eddie with a clothesline, and Eddie not going down right away. Then, Eddie just throws himself to the mat.

That, and just casually laying in the crossface.

• Thanks 1

I haven’t seen ECW ONS. I am aware that there are many fans of the show. Heat was off the charts for the whole thing. In spite of the forgettable matches, it basically delivered through the no BS promos alone the way I hear it. 

Did Eddie and Chris even wrestle in ECW? Dean would have been everybody’s pick for an Eddie match. Chris’s match might have a few wildcard picks but I would think everybody would have wanted Al Snow.

If I were to make a dream WCW card that would be where Eddie and Chris happened. Those guys were WCW TV. They had more dang good WCW TV matches than Ric Flair had good headlining matches against Dusty, Barry and Ricky Morton combined lol! 

My favorite was the 1996 match with the armdrag sequence. Only Benoit could make an armdrag stiffer lol! And Eddie went through them like lightning.

Benoit's ECW run was messed up by the fact that he was having border trouble, because Paul E never sorted his US work visa. He missed a bunch of shows in 1995 because Paul would bullshit him to say it was OK, and the border agents would say "If you come to America and work without a visa, again we'll ban you from ever coming back. That's why Cactus was teaming with Malenko & Scorpio vs Eddy and the Steiners, for example.

I heard a clip from Cornette’s pod on YouTube with a write-in question about Bret nearly signing with WCW before his first WWF title win. For his part, Cornette had no recollection of this and said Bret wasn’t really on his radar and he had no opinion on him until he saw his match with Hennig at Summerslam 91. 

There’s some confusion about when this was supposed to have happened and the specifics. First they mention 89, then it’s early 92. There’s also supposedly talks Bret had in 91 where Flair promised him money he couldn’t actually deliver on from his bosses. 

The weirdest part is that Meltzer mentions this in the Observer from January 92 as Bret being ready to not only sign but bring the IC title with him instead of dropping it to The Mountie, ostensibly as a receipt for WWF doing the real world champion deal with Flair. Meltzer said the only reason it fell through was that Bret didn’t realize his contract rolled over and he hadn’t gotten out of it in time. 

I find the whole thing suspect, especially because I’ve never heard about the IC title thing, and if this was common knowledge Vince and co. definitely would have used this as a defense of why Montreal was a necessity. Does anyone know anything about this? 

3 minutes ago, (BP) said:

The weirdest part is that Meltzer mentions this in the Observer from January 92 as Bret being ready to not only sign but bring the IC title with him

That's all I know of it TBH. I vaguely remember Bret talking about it at one point, it was definitely 92. I've no doubt it was never going to happen and was just leverage talk though

Edited by BurningBeard

11 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I haven’t seen ECW ONS.

You really should watch Tanaka/Awesome and the main if you ever get a chance. The former is an insane sprint and the latter is a quintessential ECW style tag brawl that works despite being technically face vs. face. I blame the flaming table, which was perfect. The Paul E. shoot is contrived but honest enough, I guess... I mean, he's not gonna throw himself under the bus, is he? 

EDIT: Tanaka/Awesome is also great for drunk JBL being an asshole in the stands; I think the DVD even has a separate commentary track that's just him and the stooges around him. And of course then he shoot beats the shit out of Blue Meanie in the brawl at the end.

Edited by Curt McGirt

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

I heard a clip from Cornette’s pod on YouTube with a write-in question about Bret nearly signing with WCW before his first WWF title win. For his part, Cornette had no recollection of this and said Bret wasn’t really on his radar and he had no opinion on him until he saw his match with Hennig at Summerslam 91. 

There’s some confusion about when this was supposed to have happened and the specifics. First they mention 89, then it’s early 92. There’s also supposedly talks Bret had in 91 where Flair promised him money he couldn’t actually deliver on from his bosses. 

The weirdest part is that Meltzer mentions this in the Observer from January 92 as Bret being ready to not only sign but bring the IC title with him instead of dropping it to The Mountie, ostensibly as a receipt for WWF doing the real world champion deal with Flair. Meltzer said the only reason it fell through was that Bret didn’t realize his contract rolled over and he hadn’t gotten out of it in time. 

I find the whole thing suspect, especially because I’ve never heard about the IC title thing, and if this was common knowledge Vince and co. definitely would have used this as a defense of why Montreal was a necessity. Does anyone know anything about this? 

I recently listened to this and that was 1 of the few times Cornette didn’t make alot of sense lol! So we’ll probably never know the answer to this one.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

You really should watch Tanaka/Awesome and the main if you ever get a chance. The former is an insane sprint and the latter is a quintessential ECW style tag brawl that works despite being technically face vs. face. I blame the flaming table, which was perfect. The Paul E. shoot is contrived but honest enough, I guess... I mean, he's not gonna throw himself under the bus, is he? 

EDIT: Tanaka/Awesome is also great for drunk JBL being an asshole in the stands; I think the DVD even has a separate commentary track that's just him and the stooges around him. And of course then he shoot beats the shit out of Blue Meanie in the brawl at the end.

The Blue Meanie thing holy crap I forgot that was on this show. Spawned 1 of the greatest shoots ever if nothing else (Smothers). It’s on my list of things to watch. I was lucky enough to see Awesome/Tanaka TNN match live at ringside. Mike Awesome’s finisher on a another giant was probably the coolest single thing I ever seen live. That was a hell of a show, and by main event time (this match) I thought O I’ve seen this before, it’ll be good but we might ought to go home and beat the mob. Wrong...they killed it on a show that had a Balls Mahoney match with fire, tacs, and the biggest chairsshot ever. Super Crazy almost killed himself on a table leg, Dusty Rhode’s return to Tallahassee, and a ton of other good matches.

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 2

On a different but related note about live action, the gig I worked last night was Styx singer Dennis DeYoung and considering his age and the nature of this show I wasn’t expecting much. It was moved to the nightclub because the park got rained out. 

Wrong again! He f****** rocked!!!!!! It sounded just like the old band, funny keyboard sounds and all. And he made a bunch of funny jokes in between songs ???

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

On a different but related note about live action, the gig I worked last night was Styx singer Dennis DeYoung and considering his age and the nature of this show I wasn’t expecting much. It was moved to the nightclub because the park got rained out. 

Wrong again! He f****** rocked!!!!!! It sounded just like the old band, funny keyboard sounds and all. And he made a bunch of funny jokes in between songs ???

he played an outside show here last summer. i marked when he did the Batman '66 theme instrumental.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Zimbra said:

A post in the GIF thread made me curious: who is regarded as the originator of the 450 Splash? The earliest I think I've seen is Hayabusa's.

This may be wrong, but I remember seeing something about Scorpio coming up with it early on.

47 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

A post in the GIF thread made me curious: who is regarded as the originator of the 450 Splash? The earliest I think I've seen is Hayabusa's.

45 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

This may be wrong, but I remember seeing something about Scorpio coming up with it early on.

Come on, we all know Nova invented every wrestling move ever. He even managed to travel back in time to invent everything from before he was born.

I'm on a nostalgia kick today, so it felt good to go back in time and make the Nova joke.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1