DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

I love that the title says "Stupid match ever"  If that's not by design then that's highly amusing for some reason.

And yes, that match needs to be seen.  Even better, get some non-fans and some drinks/other substances and just have a good ol' time.

• Like 1

The poster is apparently French, thus the improper diction. Their match description is: 

WCW-Chambers of Horrors Match with Sting, The Steiners Brothers,Vader,Abdullah The Butcher among others in Halloween Havoc 91. 
This is the most stupid match I've ever seen 
it's a joke.

so it was on purpose. 

I'm gonna watch the match again, it was fun the first time anyway. 

• Like 1

I loved Jim Ross saying "This is a lot like a Battle Royale, except there aren't any pins or submissions." D'OH! There was a lot of cage-climbing in this and I'm not sure why. Still, Cactus got hit with the lid, took a huge flying bump over the top into the cage, bled like a stuck pig, and got a goddamn kendo stick broken directly over his head. Even Abdullah took a bump on the ramp and rolled off it. We've probably seen matches with similar silliness in Lucha Underground so this doesn't stand out as much as it used to. 

Really it's craziest looking at the lineup of the wrestlers in that match: 

- Sting in 1991

- VADER in 1991

- Scott Hall

- The Steiners in 1991

- Mick Foley in 1991

- Abby

- El Gigante (ugh)

If they had decided to get rid of all the bullshit and just had an eight-man tag, maybe a no-DQ so we could let Abby do his thing, we could have had a classic wrestling match. Even with DQs just let Abby cheat and Jack bleed and everyone else except Gigante wrestle. It would have ruled! Would have made a fun War Games too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I loved Jim Ross saying "This is a lot like a Battle Royale, except there aren't any pins or submissions." D'OH! There was a lot of cage-climbing in this and I'm not sure why. Still, Cactus got hit with the lid, took a huge flying bump over the top into the cage, bled like a stuck pig, and got a goddamn kendo stick broken directly over his head. Even Abdullah took a bump on the ramp and rolled off it. We've probably seen matches with similar silliness in Lucha Underground so this doesn't stand out as much as it used to. 

Really it's craziest looking at the lineup of the wrestlers in that match: 

- Sting in 1991

- VADER in 1991

- Scott Hall

- The Steiners in 1991

- Mick Foley in 1991

- Abby

- El Gigante (ugh)

If they had decided to get rid of all the bullshit and just had an eight-man tag, maybe a no-DQ so we could let Abby do his thing, we could have had a classic wrestling match. Even with DQs just let Abby cheat and Jack bleed and everyone else except Gigante wrestle. It would have ruled! Would have made a fun War Games too.

At one point wasn't OZ advertised for the Chamber too?

I was just watching the WWC that Edwin posted in the other thread and this question, which has been in my mind forever, came up: 

Do wrestlers wearing masks blade through the mask, or do they move the eyehole aside and cut? Or both, maybe, or wait until the mask is ripped already typically? If through the mask I'm sure they have to be extra careful not to go too deep but deep enough. 

I've always been confused by the first few seconds of the Hogan-Andre match at WM3.  Hogan goes for the slam right away and falls backwards.  Joey Marella counts three, even though Hogan got his shoulder up.  Was this a botch by Marella, was he "calling it as a shoot," was it a face-saving spot for Andre, or what?

On 2/5/2020 at 2:40 PM, cool arrow said:

Yes.  The heel team was originally announced as Oz, Diamond Studd (the birth of the Outsiders???), One Man Gang, and Barry Windham.

Wasn't Windham advertised for the match until the day of the show when he was take out by the Enforcers slamming his hand in Dustin's car door?

On 2/5/2020 at 8:37 AM, cool arrow said:

I've always been confused by the first few seconds of the Hogan-Andre match at WM3.  Hogan goes for the slam right away and falls backwards.  Joey Marella counts three, even though Hogan got his shoulder up.  Was this a botch by Marella, was he "calling it as a shoot," was it a face-saving spot for Andre, or what?

Setting up the rematch. It was an out for Heenan to go on and on and on for a year about how Andre won and was still undefeated

28 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

Setting up the rematch. It was an out for Heenan to go on and on and on for a year about how Andre won and was still undefeated

And it had the unintended consequence of allowing Hogan to claim Andre was going to shoot on him for many years afterward.

• Haha 1

On 2/10/2020 at 6:01 AM, Happ Hazzard said:

Wasn't Windham advertised for the match until the day of the show when he was take out by the Enforcers slamming his hand in Dustin's car door?

I'd like to hear an answer to this. I don't remember Windham ever becoming 'a face' per se until this point. I suppose he kind of turned by proxy when Harley Race came out and aligned himself with Luger at GAB 91

The 'Enforcers break Barry Windham's arm before the show' angle happened at Clash 17 (November 19th 1991). The scheduled match was for the tag titles, Windham & Rhodes vs Anderson & Zybsco (C). Ricky Steamboat replaced Windham and won the tag belts with Dustin.

2 hours ago, AxB said:

The 'Enforcers break Barry Windham's arm before the show' angle happened at Clash 17 (November 19th 1991). The scheduled match was for the tag titles, Windham & Rhodes vs Anderson & Zybsco (C). Ricky Steamboat replaced Windham and won the tag belts with Dustin.

No, it happened at Halloween Havoc, 2 minutes into the show.

• Like 1

I’ve seen alot of people referring to Windham as a face and Luger as a heel since GAB 91 over the years. They’d started trying to turn Barry subtle like since before GAB 91 but it never worked. The Horsemen were actually tweeters at worst, feuding with Doom. Brian Pillman’s contract and that whole thing happened so they had to have their rematch at Superbrawl in spite of everything, and Barry went over clean. He was a heel after doing that no matter what WCW tried to come up with. 

As for Luger I could see it coming as a fan getting older and everything but he was still getting cheered after GAB 91. The double whammy only finally happened when Luger rubbed Barry’s face into the concrete on WCW TV.

8 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

I’ve seen alot of people referring to Windham as a face and Luger as a heel since GAB 91 over the years. They’d started trying to turn Barry subtle like since before GAB 91 but it never worked. The Horsemen were actually tweeters at worst, feuding with Doom. Brian Pillman’s contract and that whole thing happened so they had to have their rematch at Superbrawl in spite of everything, and Barry went over clean. He was a heel after doing that no matter what WCW tried to come up with. 

As for Luger I could see it coming as a fan getting older and everything but he was still getting cheered after GAB 91. The double whammy only finally happened when Luger rubbed Barry’s face into the concrete on WCW TV.

I always wondered why Dustin and Barry were in the same car though as they hadn't really teamed prior to the ppv.  

8 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Brian Pillman’s contract and that whole thing happened so they had to have their rematch at Superbrawl in spite of everything

Are we talking about the Yellow Dog storyline here or something behind the scenes?

Re: The Horsemen in 91

They may have been tweeners for the feud with Doom in late 90, but once Ric was unmasked as the Black Scorpion and then beat Sting for the title, they were 100% heel. At no point from January 91 til when Flair left were Ric, AA, Windham or Sid tweeners.

• Like 1

Sure they were. Flair was also getting cheered against Tatsumi Fujinami even though he’d beat Sting. I’m talking tweener, not face. Obviously there were boo birds and examples where they were hated like Arn vs Bobby Eaton. 

BB it looks like I was mixed up about Brian Pillman. The Loser Leaves Town and Yellow Dog storyline, and Pillman’s contract behind the scenes were actually the same thing as the whole storyline happened to comply with his decision to stay or leave as his contract was up. I just looked it up though and that didn’t happen until after Superbrawl.  

Flair being cheered against Fujinami in St Petersburg, FL at Superbrawl was straight up xenophobia, not "face" or "heel" heat lol.

On that same card Windham faced Pillman (face), Arn faced Eaton (face), and Sid faced El Gigante (face).