DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

On 12/23/2019 at 9:57 PM, Infinit said:

In Watt's era of WCW in 1992, were Williams and Gordy affiliated with All Japan or New Japan? And if they were affiliated with AJ, how did this come to fruition politically?

All Japan. I'm guessing Watts brokered the deal with Williams and Gordy directly rather than with Baba. AJPW guys like Hansen and Spivey had also been in WCW in the early 90s. Baba wasn't interested in dealing with American promotions at the time.

They did do the match at Starrcade '92 with Williams and Sting vs Liger and Erik Watts (Dr Death and Sting went over). I remember Jim Ross mentioning that WCW was the only place you could see this match as Williams and Liger were in rival promotions in Japan. I don't think Williams pinned Liger though.

I think the WCW/New Japan promotion became exclusive in later years as NJPW would only use Americans from WCW and WCW would only use NJPW Japanese guys. (Kaz Hayashi might be an exception but I think he signed directly with WCW).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn't Hansen basically say "fuck this" when he saw the idiots WCW wanted to pair him with?

Also, Dinosaurs became a really interesting show, especially given that it started as basically just a Simpsons knock off.

Whoever the episode revolved around would usually end with them staring out the window at these cavemen, and the gag part was that the “men” were the animals and the “dinosaurs” were human in that TV world. Then whatever the men happened to be doing at that time was linked to whatever the episode was about. Sometimes it was funny and sometimes it was heavy, and sometimes it was both. 

Edited by BloodyChamp

On 1/29/2020 at 10:36 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Didn't Hansen basically say "fuck this" when he saw the idiots WCW wanted to pair him with?

Pretty much. He came in when Ole had the book as they were always tight, not sure if he wanted to tail off his AJPW run as Baba was grooming Gordy to take over Hansen's spot.

Then Dusty got the book and they wanted to pair him with the western version of the three stooges for all intents and purposes, and he decided AJPW was as good as it gets. Then Gordy messed up and Hansen continued his run as the main gaijin 

Ah, so that's where the part in bold below came from 

BIG VAN VADER/ DIAMOND STUDD/ ADBULLAH THE BUTCHER/ CACTUS JACK vs. STING/ EL GIGANTE/ STEINER BROTHERS: WCW - 10/27/91:
(SCHNEIDER) 
So much of the spectacular idiocy of World Championship Wrestling exists outside the confines of a wrestling ring. Thus I can’t recommend The Desperados search for Stan Hansen, Hulk Hogan’s trip to the Dungeon of Doom, OZ, the Ding Dongs, The Shockmaster, The Speedboating bomb tossing dwarf, Robocop, Chucky, The Ultimate Warrior’s reflection, The Black Scorpion, the attack dogs, the Giant falling off the roof of the Cobo Arena and much more.  However, the Chamber of Horrors match does a pretty good job of integrating the imbecility of WCW into one match.  We got El Gigante, the Refer-eye camera, the electric chair with the switch that keeps falling down, we have anonymous masked men popping out of caskets and attacking wrestlers, we have the ghouls covered in baby powder carrying the stretcher, we have the mini cage being lowered slowly onto wrestlers, you’ve got it all.  On the flip side you have Mick Foley, a man who has made his entire career on turning chicken shit into chicken salad, making the decision to save this monstrosity on his own.  He does a El Dandyesque blade job, takes a dozen big bumps (including getting a wood casket lid dumped on his head) and basically turns an embarrassing spectacle into a worthwhile match.

Thank you for getting me to watch that, it's a gem that I'd yet to be subjected to. 

I still think the Warrior's reflection was the nadir though, even above "It's not hot!" I saw that live and thought it couldn't be dumber unless Missy was describing it. 

I haven’t seen Chamber of Horrors but I’ve seen it called the greatest Wrestlecrap match ever. The Sting vs Abyss Casket Match dethroned it for a short while but most everybody went back on that. I have seen that match btw. Definitely an alltime great clustermess match.

You could make a big list of junk from any territory that ran long enough to be remembered, let alone a nation promotion. Also some of that stuff ended bad after starting out as a good idea, and some of that stuff was good ideas that happened to late as the 90s were coming.

Edited by BloodyChamp

A good match is a good match. See the death match thread. If I like Chamber of Horrors when I watch it I’ll be proud to like it. 

Raven vs The Pitbulls

Terry Funk and Stevie Richards vs Cactus Jack and Raven

That whole series of events from Starrcade 91 involving Abdullah the Butcher that spanned over a few matches

Wow I better be careful before I give away how much fun Abdullah the Butcher in WCW was for that 1 year

• Like 4

The biggest issue with the Chamber of Horrors is that the build was all fumbled. You'd have Control Centers where Solee would be baffled by the fact Windham was still on the heels side weeks after his turn and just weeks before the event. There were guys in there for no reason, etc.

• Like 1

What always bothered me about Chamber of Horrors, even as a kid, was the idea that "about halfway through the match" the electric chair would be lowered. I was ten, and just baffled how they could know when the match was about half over.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

I think the only time related announcement was that the chair would lower at the five minute mark.

Did they say that? I swear that, at least in the selling and building the show, they just kept saying halfway