DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to  find info on a weird indy show I watched on tape back in the early 2000s, no later than Summer 2002.  The notables

-It was held in some armory in West Virginia by a fed called ECWA, but it wasn't that ECWA.  

-They clearly had a bit of a budget as they brought in a bunch of big-at-the-time indy guys.

-M-Dogg 20 and Josh Prohibition wrestled, in what I'm pretty sure was one of their first matches outside the midwest.

-The  main event was an 8-man tag that was Maximos/Red/somebody vs Backseat Boys/Devine Storm that was a parody of the WWE main event schmozz-type brawls of the time

Does anyone else recall this or know who put it together?  I never heard anything before or after about the fed and I never saw any other tapes of theirs for sale.

5 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I worked briefly for some WV indy in the late 90s doing their programs. It was a lot of MCW guys and some other guys (I think they used Morgus the Maniac). But I dont think that was their acronym. 

Apparently I had done some shit googling before because I found the listing on Smartmark.  Fed was the East Cost Wrestling Alliance and it looks like they only promoted a handful of shows between 2001-02, including some co-promotions with PCW.  It was owned by someone named Jackie Murray, does that name ring any bells?

Anyway, the card was way less star-studded than I remember:

East Coast Wrestling Alliance - November 17, 2001 - Weirton, WV
1. Slayer & Crazy Bob vs Sexual Harassment (JT Rogers & Eric Xtasy)
2. Chi Chi Cruz vs The Prophet
3. Troy Lords & Kid Sensation vs Kid Trance & Donnie Bon Jovi
4. Tarzan Taylor w/ Miss Kara vs "Brutal" Bob Evans
5. Supreme Lee Great vs Freak of Nature vs The Protege
6. Station House (Michael Firehouse & Rescue) w/ JJ Hott vs Malakei & Zachary Springate III
7. JT Lightning & Josh Prohibition vs MDog20 & Adam Cage
8. The S.A.T. (Jose & Joel Maximo, Quiet Storm & RED) vs Chris Hamrick, Donnie B & The Backseat Boyz - Falls Count Anywhere West Virginia Street Fight - (this is one of the funniest matches I have ever seen. Must see as its definitely the funniest indy match of the year)
9. Matt Vandal w/ Dylan Dean vs Jimmy Vega$ w/ Big Playa vs "Bad Boy" Brian Anthony

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Log said:

Sexual Harassment is an amazing/terrible name for a tag team.

they came out to the theme song "Touch me"  

Eric Xtasy would actually defeat Sterling James Keenan to win the IWC world title in 2004.   JT Rodgers retired in 2003 and Justin Idol and Eric continued the Sexual Harrassment name. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Apparently I had done some shit googling before because I found the listing on Smartmark.  Fed was the East Cost Wrestling Alliance and it looks like they only promoted a handful of shows between 2001-02, including some co-promotions with PCW.  It was owned by someone named Jackie Murray, does that name ring any bells?

Anyway, the card was way less star-studded than I remember:

East Coast Wrestling Alliance - November 17, 2001 - Weirton, WV
1. Slayer & Crazy Bob vs Sexual Harassment (JT Rogers & Eric Xtasy)
2. Chi Chi Cruz vs The Prophet
3. Troy Lords & Kid Sensation vs Kid Trance & Donnie Bon Jovi
4. Tarzan Taylor w/ Miss Kara vs "Brutal" Bob Evans
5. Supreme Lee Great vs Freak of Nature vs The Protege
6. Station House (Michael Firehouse & Rescue) w/ JJ Hott vs Malakei & Zachary Springate III
7. JT Lightning & Josh Prohibition vs MDog20 & Adam Cage
8. The S.A.T. (Jose & Joel Maximo, Quiet Storm & RED) vs Chris Hamrick, Donnie B & The Backseat Boyz - Falls Count Anywhere West Virginia Street Fight - (this is one of the funniest matches I have ever seen. Must see as its definitely the funniest indy match of the year)
9. Matt Vandal w/ Dylan Dean vs Jimmy Vega$ w/ Big Playa vs "Bad Boy" Brian Anthony

This is great.  Troy Lords is one of my best friends.  We ended up working a job together and when he came out of training they sat us next to each other. When i saw his name wasn't really Troy it was like learning about Santa all over again.  His ring name was "balls hot Troy Lords"  he still wrestles in Pittsburgh and WV

Jimmy Vegas is also great. He had a tryout with WWF and had some fun matches with Lawler and Sandman. He's still jacked and can put on a great match. 

Weird question I hope one of you can answer.

I was watching a match on RAW from January 1993 featuring the Steiner Brothers. During the match, Vince McMahon made mention that then-Buffalo Bills lineman Mitch Frerotte may soon be coming to the WWF. A quick Google search reveals that a few newspapers made mention that Frerotte was very interested in giving the WWF a try, and he had a look the WWF liked (6'3", 280, motorcycle enthusiast, a blonde mullet that would make Ricky Morton proud). I didn't watch much wrestling during that time, but it appears Frerotte was mentioned more than once across multiple shows. Then, silence.

Was the WWF close to actually signing Frerotte? 

(UPDATE: Further searching reveals Frerotte suffered a neck injury while in training camp for Seattle in the summer of 1993, ending his athletic career. Still I'm curious if the WWF was close to signing him in early 1993 before he opted to keep his football career going).

JD

Edited by colonial

On 1/9/2020 at 3:17 PM, Log said:

Sexual Harassment is an amazing/terrible name for a tag team.

There was an episode of that old TGIF show "Dinosaurs" where one of the characters gets in trouble for being sexually inappropriate. The media nicknamed him Al "Sexual" Harris because the term "sexual harassment" hadn't been invented yet and the gag was that's how the term originated. I always thought that name sounded like something Russo would give to somebody.

Added trivia bonus--Al "Sexual" Harris was voiced by Jason Alexander.

340?cb=20060527233833

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Happ Hazzard said:

What was the match where the three Laurinaitis brothers teamed in Japan? Who did they wrestle and what promotion was it in?

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=1&nr=91387

March 4 89

Six Man Tag Team Match
Edited by odessasteps

On 1/23/2020 at 2:34 PM, cwoy2j said:

There was an episode of that old TGIF show "Dinosaurs" where one of the characters gets in trouble for being sexually inappropriate. The media nicknamed him Al "Sexual" Harris because the term "sexual harassment" hadn't been invented yet and the gag was that's how the term originated. I always thought that name sounded like something Russo would give to somebody.

Added trivia bonus--Al "Sexual" Harris was voiced by Jason Alexander.

340?cb=20060527233833

This show was ahead of it’s time. It reached greatest South Park episodes level of sharp humor mixed with topical issues that would hit you like a brick when you got the gags.

• Like 5

On 1/24/2020 at 10:12 PM, BloodyChamp said:

This show was ahead of it’s time. It reached greatest South Park episodes level of sharp humor mixed with topical issues that would hit you like a brick when you got the gags.

The finale was dark as hell. Bojack Horseman levels of depressing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I haven’t seen the season finale but have read the spoilers and I’m so mad that I did. I watched the show every week but don’t remember how I lost touch with it. It moved or something and as a child I didn’t have brains enough to figure it out, or it moved to the Disney channel maybe which I didn’t get. I rewatched some of it on cable when I got older and alot of it was pretty heavy but still funny. Great show imo. Imagine the outrage online if that finale happened today lol!

On 1/27/2020 at 1:21 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I used watch Dinosaurs, but have no recollection of the finale. That was rather dark for a family show.

I know it's the old school thread so apologies for this.  But that clip was dark and incredibly depressing.  Yet it felt oddly appropriate given the times we now live in.  But checking their Wikipedia page it was surprisingly on brand.  I may have to catch these episodes to see it now with adult eyes.  And so far it's not on Disney+ which at this point is probably for the best, but reading this it's a wonder this was meant for kids.

Topical issues featured in Dinosaurs include environmentalism, endangered species, women's rights, sexual harassment, LGBT rights, objectification of women, censorship, civil rights, body image, steroid use, allusions to masturbation (in the form of Robbie doing the solo mating dance), drug abuse, racism (in the form of a dispute between the two-legged dinosaurs and the four-legged dinosaurs), peer pressure, rights of indigenous peoples (in the form of the dinosaurs interacting with cavepeople), corporate crime, government interference in parenting, and pacifism.[9]

In the episode "I Never Ate for My Father," in lieu of carnivorism, Robbie chooses to eat vegetables, and the other characters liken this to communism, and drug abuse.[citation needed]

In the final season, "The Greatest Story Ever Sold" (a take off of The Greatest Story Ever Told) references religion when the Sinclair family becomes eager to learn the meaning of their existence. The Elders dictate a new system of beliefs, and the entire cast (with the exception of Robbie) abandons science to blindly follow the newly popular "Potato-ism".

Another religious-themed episode was "The Last Temptation of Ethyl," in which Ethyl willingly allows a televangelist to exploit her near-death experience to extort money from followers. She backs out after having a second such experience, where instead of heaven, she experiences a "place not so nice": an existence surrounded by nothing but multiple Earl Sinclairs.

Several jokes in the series were at the expense of television shows in general. Earl often wants to watch TV rather than do something more practical, and several jokes accuse television of "dumbing down" the population and making it lazy.

Captain Action Figure shows up in children's programming that Fran mistakes for a commercial. Whenever Captain Action Figure mentions a product, the screen flashes "Tell Mommy I WANT THAT!". Before the appearance of Georgie, Dinosaurs used a puppet reminiscent of Barney the Dinosaur named "Blarney" in two episodes. During his appearances, members of the Sinclair family commented on his annoying characteristics and failure to teach anything to children.

Edited by NikoBaltimore