DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Man, sometimes I really wish I never heard stories like that.  Just makes me sad for what could have been.  It's amazing how many awesome things in wrestling have been killed by dipshits running the show.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When did the WWF start using the steel cage that lowered from the ceiling instead of having to build it and take it down again? Was Mankind vs HHH at SummerSlam '97 its first appearance? I don't recall any cage matches in 95-96 off the top of my head, but they definitely had to build the one for Bret vs Owen at SummerSlam '94.

1 hour ago, Happ Hazzard said:

When did the WWF start using the steel cage that lowered from the ceiling instead of having to build it and take it down again? Was Mankind vs HHH at SummerSlam '97 its first appearance? I don't recall any cage matches in 95-96 off the top of my head, but they definitely had to build the one for Bret vs Owen at SummerSlam '94.

I was at Summerslam '97 and could swear the blue cage erector set was used for HHH/Mankind.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2019 at 11:17 AM, Log said:

Man, sometimes I really wish I never heard stories like that.  Just makes me sad for what could have been.  It's amazing how many awesome things in wrestling have been killed by dipshits running the show.

I might have posted this before but this blew my mind when I first heard about it. This particular video is loaded with Jim Cornette fluff dialogue but he gets to the point. I think the video I posted before was a different one but this is the story anyway.

I remember hearing stories about Meltzer calling the WCW Saturday Night match the greatest angle in years. I mean it was ok...greatest no way. Then I heard about what was really happening years later through Jim in 1 of his shoots. Not knowing it was soon to be axed, and that they weren’t going to get as violent as planned in the meantime, I would say Meltzer was right. That would have been an amazing story!

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:27 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was at Summerslam '97 and could swear the blue cage erector set was used for HHH/Mankind.

For sure it was. That's the Chyna door slam match.

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 4:49 PM, Wyld Samurai said:

I think HBK vs Undertaker in Hell in a Cell 1997 was the first non hokey cage in the WWF.

Wait a minute! Non-hokey? Am I in the minority in thinking that the blue cage is the superior cage? I fucking HATE the cyclone fence version. I like its use for HIAC, but I always thought the 80's WWF cage is the best of the bunch.

Snuka -Muraco, Snuka - Backlund, and Sammartino - Zbyszko are the only matches of the era that jump off the top of my head that were in a cage, and all three in cages made of chain link fence. It changed to the blue bars for Bundy - Hogan  WM2 and stayed that way until Valentine's Day Massacre. After that show, the cage went back to the chain link. 

I bet that blue cage was a motherfucker to bump into, though. Good for the workers that have to be in it that the new (old) style is much more giving, but I dig the visual of the other so much more.

Edited by grilledcheese
  • Like 1

The blue one looks like a play pen for infants. Might as well be plastic. Steel cages are supposed to suggest an animalistic savagery, not please buy the action figure version (figure sold separately).

• Like 3

I love the blue cage, but I grew up with it, so nostalgia and all that.

My own question: Did anything ever come from Austin Idol coming to the ring and video taping other wrestler's matches? From Mid-Atlantic, 82 or 83 I think? Was it something he ever did in other territories?

On 11/5/2019 at 2:44 PM, AxB said:

The blue one looks like a play pen for infants. Might as well be plastic. Steel cages are supposed to suggest an animalistic savagery, not please buy the action figure version (figure sold separately).

This, but I’ll say this much, that it was typical WWF fare that somehow just became acceptable because it was the WWF. Kind of like unclean finishes to end every good match WCW ever had (exaggerating...but not by much).

• Haha 1

On 11/5/2019 at 8:46 PM, elizium said:

I love the blue cage, but I grew up with it, so nostalgia and all that.

My own question: Did anything ever come from Austin Idol coming to the ring and video taping other wrestler's matches? From Mid-Atlantic, 82 or 83 I think? Was it something he ever did in other territories?

Not sure...but Jimmy Garvin came to World Class in the Spring of 83 doing that exact gimmick and refusing to wrestle on television because he didn’t want to show a potential weakness for opponents who could scout him.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Great ML said:

Not sure...but Jimmy Garvin came to World Class in the Spring of 83 doing that exact gimmick and refusing to wrestle on television because he didn’t want to show a potential weakness for opponents who could scout him.

That could never work now but that was a brilliant angle at the time.  You couldn't see a top heel wrestle unless you actually went to the show to see them.  I say it was brilliant but it was short-lived and no one really stole it afterwards, so maybe it wasn't.

• Like 1

What do you think Rick Rude’s gimmick would have been if he managed to return to the ring?

We know he was in heavy training prior to his death and we know he’d been pestering Bischoff to buy his Lloyd’s policy out, and there was rumours he’d have been brought in to feud with Austin, but I can’t picture him going back to his old shtick when he’d spent so many years as a besuited bodyguard 

7 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

there was rumours he’d have been brought in to feud with Austin

Were there? Where? He was under WCW contract, wasn't he? I also can't see Vince at the peak of his success bringing in a 40-year-old retiree who hasn't proven he can still go to feud with the biggest star in the business - especially after Rude showed up on Nitro during a taped Raw.

2 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

What do you think Rick Rude’s gimmick would have been if he managed to return to the ring?

Probably in the same spot Hennig, and other past their prime upper mid-card stars were in during that period. Basically we would’ve been looking at neat gifs, and weird dream matches he could’ve had in WCW today. But nothing major happening ultimately. Like I don’t see him just jumping to, or near the front of the line of that roster. The only possible positive outcome could be him working a program with Bret. 

• Like 2

I wish they would have given the SST another shot. They wrestled a dark match against Stars and Stripes in 1997. Heck them too lol fun times imagine Benoit and Malenko mowing over them on Nitro. And The Steiners to the SST just for the belly to belly suplexes. The Steiners belly to bellying giant fat men is the greatest visual in wrestling imo. A face turn or a tweener 1 off like the Faces of Fear had against The Outsiders would have been cool too.

42 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

I wish they would have given the SST another shot. They wrestled a dark match against Stars and Stripes in 1997. Heck them too lol fun times imagine Benoit and Malenko mowing over them on Nitro. And The Steiners to the SST just for the belly to belly suplexes. The Steiners belly to bellying giant fat men is the greatest visual in wrestling imo. A face turn or a tweener 1 off like the Faces of Fear had against The Outsiders would have been cool too.

Was the dark match in 94/95 vs Stars and Stripes or in 97 vs The American Males? 

On 11/3/2019 at 5:01 PM, Happ Hazzard said:

As stated before, Hell in a Cell 97 was the first time the WWF lowered a cage from the ceiling.  The first time they lowered a traditional cage from the ceiling was at Breakdown 98, and that was still big blue, which I believe that was the only time big blue was lowered.  Big blue made a couple of more appearances, though it got repainted black, with Austin/McMahon at St. Valentine's Day Massacre and they did the finish where the Big Show threw Austin through the cage so they couldn't lower it.  I believe the last appearance of that cage was an Edge/Christian match at Rebellion 2001 where they did a finish where Edge taped Christian's feet together through the cage from inside the ring while Christian was climbing out.

I miss big blue, it was the cage I grew up with, plus you could do spots with it you can't do with the cyclone cage.  The two examples above wouldn't have been possible in the current cage, and the finish to Bret/Owen at Summerslam where Owen got his feet caught in the bars and hung upside down while Bret jumped down wouldn't have been possible either.

Edited by Vgmastr
  • Like 2

On 11/5/2019 at 8:19 PM, grilledcheese said:

For sure it was. That's the Chyna door slam match.

Wait a minute! Non-hokey? Am I in the minority in thinking that the blue cage is the superior cage? I fucking HATE the cyclone fence version. I like its use for HIAC, but I always thought the 80's WWF cage is the best of the bunch.

Snuka -Muraco, Snuka - Backlund, and Sammartino - Zbyszko are the only matches of the era that jump off the top of my head that were in a cage, and all three in cages made of chain link fence. It changed to the blue bars for Bundy - Hogan  WM2 and stayed that way until Valentine's Day Massacre. After that show, the cage went back to the chain link. 

I bet that blue cage was a motherfucker to bump into, though. Good for the workers that have to be in it that the new (old) style is much more giving, but I dig the visual of the other so much more.

I'm totally with you, always preferred the blue (later Black) Cage. It actually looked like a steel cage to me, other than that mash wire stuff. It was probably really uncomfortable for the wrestlers, though, as you and others pointed out. 

I liked the Blue Cage too and always popped when Lord Alfred Hayes would call it an "Iron Cage" or say something like "It's Iron Bars for Heenan!" Also the WWF used cages that had some height to them(big blue & fence style) while the other promotions used cages that were way way too short.