DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

52 minutes ago, CreativeControl said:

I'd rather have a stable of Bellasario themed wrestlers.

You could have your Sam Beckett stall during a match to get advice from a hologram/thin air on how to win the match, a bit like a more ludicrous version of the York Foundation.

... in fact I vaguely remember an episode of Quantum Leap where Sam leaped into the body of a fake Russian wrestler in the 60s. Good times

Stringfellow Hawke & Leroy Jethro Gibbs would be a badass tag team.

1 hour ago, CreativeControl said:

... in fact I vaguely remember an episode of Quantum Leap where Sam leaped into the body of a fake Russian wrestler in the 60s. Good times

Guest starring a Mr Terry Funk, wasn't it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How about that Superman (the first ever show in black and white with Richard Reeves) episode where Superman busts up a crooked rasslin show complete with insider references? That show was also infamous for another reason that I can’t remember but I know I read it. I want to say several famous wrestlers had cameos and that it’s all that’s left of them on tape.

Then that Love Boat one with Hogan ??? I can’t believe him and Vince were down with that.

And David Schultz lol

11 hours ago, tbarrie said:

You may be the only one who remembers that Gil Gerard/Ernie Reyes Jr show Sidekicks.

Y'know, I'm okay with that because if I gotta remember a Gil Gerard show that isn't Buck Rogers I'm glad its Sidekicks and not Earth Force

James

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So did NWO Sting ever do anything in Wrestling besides be NWO Sting? Also, is the reason the NWO were in Sting's corner for that one WrestleMania match because Vince saw a picture of the NWO with NWO Sting in there, and didn't realise it wasn't the real Real Estate Steve?

3 hours ago, AxB said:

So did NWO Sting ever do anything in Wrestling besides be NWO Sting? Also, is the reason the NWO were in Sting's corner for that one WrestleMania match because Vince saw a picture of the NWO with NWO Sting in there, and didn't realise it wasn't the real Real Estate Steve?

I remember his brief program, wrestling as "Cobra,"  with Craig Pittman before being repackaged as NWO Sting.  The storyline behind their program, per Wikipedia, is something else:

Bobby "The Brain" Heenan and "Mean" Gene Okerlund explained Cobra's kayfabe back story of having served in the Gulf War. Sgt. Craig Pittman, a legit Marine sergeant, abandoned Cobra in the desert, then reported him AWOL back at camp. Cobra lost all rank and respect, learned to wrestle, and came to WCW seeking revenge on Pittman.

That's a lot of time and effort for a really shitty form of revenge.  How about just kill the guy when you get back to the states?

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

That's a lot of time and effort for a really shitty form of revenge.  How about just kill the guy when you get back to the states?

If we start questioning whether beating somebody in a wrestling match is the best form of revenge, the whole genre sort of falls apart, doesn't it?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I remember his brief program, wrestling as "Cobra,"  with Craig Pittman before being repackaged as NWO Sting.  The storyline behind their program, per Wikipedia, is something else:

Cobra and Pittman had a PPV match where Pittman rappelled from the ceiling, which was a  pretty unique entrance back then.

Edited by Infinit

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Didnt they also have Ranger Ross do that at a Clash (his debut I think)?

Yes, at Clash 6 in the Superdome...but the dolts in charge didn't telegraph in rehearsal where he'd actually land on the telecast, and unfortunately the African American war hero got lost in a dark spot of the crowd.

• Like 1

Who remembers Paul Heyman name dropping Thunder and Lightning in that unintentionally hilarious shoot style interview he did in (gasp) 1995 I think?

The NWO Sting worked regularly from the time he debuted. NWO Japan was a huge thing over there and he was 1 of the big names. He had a good run in WCW for several weeks too, and was 1 of those guys who could be plugged in any time afterwards. I always thought Sting vs The NWO Sting would have been the closest thing to Sting vs The Undertaker had they done it right. Unfortunately that eliminates most ideas when applied to WCW.

Pittman vs Cobra was gold cartoon era stuff. Unfortunately it came along to late. Pittman coming out dressed as black Rambo that 1 night looked legit scary I’ll dang sure give him that.

EDIT: does anybody have a link to that time he came out dressed as Rambo? Or remember who Cobra was wrestling so that I could look it up? It might have been Cobra’s last match as I don’t remember anything happening again until Pittman started looking for managers. Cobra was wrestling and after the match Pittman appeared with a gun and a bullet bandolier, war paint, and just the whole get up. The announcers plugged that their feud obviously wasn’t over and they faded out from Pittman looking like a monster.

Edited by BloodyChamp
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/25/2019 at 5:13 PM, Infinit said:

Cobra and Pittman had a PPV match where Pittman rappelled from the ceiling, which was a  pretty unique entrance back then.

I remember Pittman cutting a promo on Cobra before that match and saying, "the beatings will continue until morale improves!" In hindsight, Pittman was pretty cool.

3 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

I remember Pittman cutting a promo on Cobra before that match and saying, "the beatings will continue until morale improves!" In hindsight, Pittman was pretty cool.

I use that quote once a week at work.

• Like 1