DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Going back to Magnum, I think he'd have ended up jumping to the WWF in late 88/89 when Tully, Arn, JJ, Dusty and Windham all  did. I think they'd have changed his name (well, the "Magnum" part anyway, he might have kept T.A.) and given him a biker gimmick, with him riding a motorcycle to the ring.

Was there a Magnum TA copycat, name and all, in some outlaw promotion? Or did they dare try to bring back the real Magnum like they did gimmicks? Maybe it was a jobber gag like Magnum T. A. I seem to remember seeing that on TV as a youngun after Magnum had been finished a long time.

Was Wild West Wrestling affiliated with the AWA? Watching some of their TV on youtube and there’s a match with Sherri Martel defending the AWA title versus Candi Devine.

I don’t remember any association between them, but I feel like my only memory of WWW is from after Mantell merged with World Class. 

I don't really think Scott Hall got any good until he was into his babyface run as Razor Ramon.

Ole Anderson's telling of the Black Scorpion origin was he was filling out the cards for the house shows and Jim Herd kept yelling at him that whoever he wrote down against Sting wouldn't draw so he frustratingly wrote down "Sting vs. The Black Scorpion" and Herd was all about it.  There was never an end goal.  They just did Flair to blow it off cause Sting wasn't drawing as champ cause they put him in this Black Scorpion angle with no end goal.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Shane said:

Was Wild West Wrestling affiliated with the AWA? Watching some of their TV on youtube and there’s a match with Sherri Martel defending the AWA title versus Candi Devine.

I don’t remember any association between them, but I feel like my only memory of WWW is from after Mantell merged with World Class. 

Since the AWA ran a limited number of shows Martel was able to take bookings for other promotions. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 4:19 AM, Wyld Samurai said:

Well... I could see Eddie Gilbert being a good pay off for The Black Scorpion. He's the only guy with a name value associated to Sting's past that wasn't Warrior.

Eddie Gilbert was a total jobber in WCW 1990.  Once Muta destroyed him in their feud, Eddie did next to nothing for the next year and a half.  Remember his epic feud with Samu?  Because that's literally all they gave him that year.

How come Big Bully Busick wasn't around for long? I remember him getting a lot of coverage in the magazine, had a TV feud with Neidhart then squashed by Sid and was gone in a matter of months.

I really thought this character had a lot of mileage

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

How come Big Bully Busick wasn't around for long? I remember him getting a lot of coverage in the magazine, had a TV feud with Neidhart then squashed by Sid and was gone in a matter of months.

Not sure if there's more to it, but he went into semi-retirement after the short run and supposedly went back into law enforcement. (A bully on the police force? Say it ain't so)

He was only around for like 3-4 months, so maybe Vince just wasn't too impressed or Bully could see the writing on the wall when they wouldn't let him beat the fucking Brooklyn Brawler cleanly.

• Like 1

I thought there was a whole other “Magnum TA” not just Magnum. But things run together in our heads when it comes to the oldest wrestling memories.

Eddie Gilbert would have worked as The Black Scorpion storyline wise imo. Eddie was Meng, Bobby Eaton, etc. He could be jobbed out but he was still Eddie f****** Gilbert. And it made sense going no farther back than WCW itself, not the UWF as the blowoff to their feud was at Starrcade 87 technically. My only concern would have been the stupid looking visual of the monster heel standing 2 feet shorter than Sting lol!

How much of that '80s Buddy Rose face run in Portland is on tape? I've seen the initial face turn in 1983 or whatever, and I've also seen a couple of matches and promos from that run, which was pretty short before he turned heel again IIRC. 

On 8/15/2019 at 9:37 AM, CreativeControl said:

I really thought this character had a lot of mileage

Harvey Wippleman came in at the same time and is still there 28 years later.

On 8/17/2019 at 6:27 AM, Happ Hazzard said:

Harvey Wippleman came in at the same time and is still there 28 years later.

I was actually involved in Bully's final match a few years ago in his hometown of Weirton (he bled buckets)  Nick was one of the nicest guys you could meet. He did end up working as a police officer and I believe was doing detective work up until he passed. He also worked as a bouncer at a Dave and Buster's style bar (at the time named Latitude).   Bully's GWF work was pretty fun albeit brief.  He always seemed to be working. If not as a bouncer or detective it would be promoting mma fights or working out with his son Branko. He was a class act who could have been a super heel.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 10:39 PM, Smelly McUgly said:

How much of that '80s Buddy Rose face run in Portland is on tape? I've seen the initial face turn in 1983 or whatever, and I've also seen a couple of matches and promos from that run, which was pretty short before he turned heel again IIRC. 

Buddy had tapes of EVERYTHING, I've no idea what happened to them after he passed.

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2019 at 1:57 AM, BloodyChamp said:

Was there a Magnum TA copycat, name and all, in some outlaw promotion? Or did they dare try to bring back the real Magnum like they did gimmicks? Maybe it was a jobber gag like Magnum T. A. I seem to remember seeing that on TV as a youngun after Magnum had been finished a long time.

Wasn't Sabu a Magnum TA copy at one point? Magnum S.R?

All of that, along with a Cannell manager who distracts the opponent by flinging a piece of paper into the air, and then smashes him over the head with a typewriter.

Edited by Hamhock

I'd rather have a stable of Bellasario themed wrestlers.

You could have your Sam Beckett stall during a match to get advice from a hologram/thin air on how to win the match, a bit like a more ludicrous version of the York Foundation.

... in fact I vaguely remember an episode of Quantum Leap where Sam leaped into the body of a fake Russian wrestler in the 60s. Good times

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1