DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

I seem to remember rumors back in the day that Nick Bockwinkel was offered the "Million Dollar Man" gimmick before Ted DiBiase (or serving as DiBiase's manager), but that he turned it down due to his age and travel requirements.  Any truth to those rumors or just bunk?

JD

I've heard the rumor a number of times over the years, so you're remembering right.  No idea how much truth there is to it.  I've always assumed it was just bs.

Who did Backlund beat to get a title shot v Bret?

They had a match on Superstars where Backlund lost to Bret and snapped, locking on the Crossface Chicken Wing. And looked at his hand afterwards. He then cut crazy promos, asking for another shot.

So, nobody?

Ok well this furthers another question, what was up with Bret's run as champ that Vince decided he should lose to Backlund who would then drop the title immediately to Nash?

When I was a kid I thought Diesel's run was crappy since I remember him fighting Mabel and didn't even jackknife him. I'm not saying it's easy to do that, but the appeal of diesel was that he was huge and powerful, no?

Bret wasn't supposed to be champion in 1994, WrestleMania X was supposed to be where Lex Luger was finally crowned as champion, but then Luger's star fizzled, and the crowd clearly preferred Bret at the Rumble, so the change was made.  I would guess Bret would have lost the title even sooner if the Bret/Owen house show run wasn't unusually strong.

Back in the dying days of the AWA, did they ever reveal what was in the bag that Rocky Mountain Thunder carried with him?

No, but we can rule out talent.

And the ability to draw money.

From that reasoning, almost everyone in the AWA during the later years should have had a bag.

And going back to the original question, no, I don't think they ever clarified what was in the bag.

• Like 1

So, with late 1990 NWA/WCW being on YouTube again... WCW basically pushed the Nasty Boys and Michael Wallstreet, only to see them both immediately leave for the WWF?

(checked.. the Nastys were in WCW on December 1st and the WWF on December 11th. Rotunda was in WCW in February 1991 and the WWF by April 1991)

Then again, maybe WCW pushed Rotundo as Wallstreet and eventually realized that he had the charisma of Mike Rotundo

and gave him the York Foundation launch as a result of having to be pushed?

the WWF really got quite a few guys from WCW who were in their mid-card in 1990/91. It'd be like one baseball team getting a guy who was in AA with his former team and then turning him into a hall of famer.

Does anyone know the backstory to the fight between Gorilla Monsoon and Bruiser Brody?  I remember hearing the Monsoon handled Brody in the fight and then got Brody blackballed from WWF.

No idea about the backstory, but I have no trouble believing Monsoon came out on top.  He rarely showed it in the ring but he was a shooter.

and gave him the York Foundation launch as a result of having to be pushed?

the WWF really got quite a few guys from WCW who were in their mid-card in 1990/91. It'd be like one baseball team getting a guy who was in AA with his former team and then turning him into a hall of famer.

Well the York Foundation thing is what the USA Today article was about. I think his leaving was more abrupt. I have all the WCW Saturday Nights and they just turned and started burying him on commentary one match and they had to shoehorn the guy he was feuding with into his role using inset interviews over matches.

So, with late 1990 NWA/WCW being on YouTube again... WCW basically pushed the Nasty Boys and Michael Wallstreet, only to see them both immediately leave for the WWF?

(checked.. the Nastys were in WCW on December 1st and the WWF on December 11th. Rotunda was in WCW in February 1991 and the WWF by April 1991)

Then again, maybe WCW pushed Rotundo as Wallstreet and eventually realized that he had the charisma of Mike Rotundo

I wouldn't say the Nasties were necessarily pushed as they were a team brought in to be fodder for the Steiners, only they ended up getting over when the matches ended up being very good.  If you look at the History of the WWE WCW section, the Nasties never beat anyone that weren't jobbers (even losing to Mike Rotunda & Tim Horner in a TV match.)  WCW just screwed up by not seeing their potential and not signing them long-term.

• Like 1

So what was the deal with Vince wanting Brock Lesnar to go over Austin in a KOTR qualifying match on Raw.  I get that they were pushing Brock to the moon, and probably already had Brock/Rock set for Summerslam but wouldn't it make more sense to save that match for PPV?  Was that done to just intentionally piss Austin off?  Was it a power play to put Austin in his place?  Anybody know the scuttlebutt?

Did a character as compelling as Crow Sting ever get ruined as fast?  I remember minutes after he won the title at Starrcade 97 he was screaming like a fucking idiot.  I really felt they could have made him the WCW version of Taker.  Stoic, quiet, a little scary at times.  Instead he is ripping off Jim Carrey in the Mask yelling "It's Showtime!!!!" over and over and over.  He was just another guy within a few months.  So depressing.

• Like 1

So what was the deal with Vince wanting Brock Lesnar to go over Austin in a KOTR qualifying match on Raw.  I get that they were pushing Brock to the moon, and probably already had Brock/Rock set for Summerslam but wouldn't it make more sense to save that match for PPV?  Was that done to just intentionally piss Austin off?  Was it a power play to put Austin in his place?  Anybody know the scuttlebutt?

Austin brought it up on a few podcasts, but the gist of it appears to be that Austin said or did something that pissed the writers off, and their revenge was to book Austin jobbing clean to Lesnar at the next RAW.  Austin has always said that he would lose to Brock on a PPV with build with no problem, but he thought it was petty BS that he would be forced to lose to Brock on a throwaway RAW with no rhyme or reason behind it.

So he walked.   Austin to this day says he doesn't regret doing it, but he does regret the way he did it.