DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

On 1/4/2019 at 2:06 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm pretty sure Jack Tunney put the kibosh on it because of Savage's interference. If Savage were smart, he would have had Sherri offering herself up to Tunney for that title shot.

Elizabeth was definitely the brains between her and Savage. Savage and Sherri were too much of a Sid & Nancy type couple.

I vaguely remember a segment where Tunney told Savage that he wouldn't get a shot and Savage losing his shit over it.

Is there anywhere online that has a full, non-clipped, non-fancammed version of the Midnight Express vs. Tully and Arn NWA Tag Title match in Philadelphia where Tully and Arn dropped the belts before going to WWF in the late '80s?

For that matter, I've never seen the Road Warriors/Midnights match shortly after where the Roadies killed the Midnights almost dead for the titles, so I should go look for that. I'm guessing that it made full tape. 

17 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Is there anywhere online that has a full, non-clipped, non-fancammed version of the Midnight Express vs. Tully and Arn NWA Tag Title match in Philadelphia where Tully and Arn dropped the belts before going to WWF in the late '80s?

For that matter, I've never seen the Road Warriors/Midnights match shortly after where the Roadies killed the Midnights almost dead for the titles, so I should go look for that. I'm guessing that it made full tape. 

Cornette showed a copy at his live show in Philly, but it would likely fall into fancam quality. It wasn’t shot by JCP. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, odessasteps said:

Cornette showed a copy at his live show in Philly, but it would likely fall into fancam quality. It wasn’t shot by JCP. 

I didn't know that Cornette was shooting live shows. There was (is?) a fancam of it up on YouTube a few years back, but it wasn't great. Corny's fancam would be interesting to watch, though. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Smelly McUgly said:

That match was on the WWE Road Warriors DVD.

4 hours ago, Happ Hazzard said:

Are Dr. Tom and Bruce Prichard the wrestling brothers that are least associated with each other? I've hardly heard either of them talk about the other, never seen them pictured together and they hardly ever worked in the same promotion at the same time.

Bruce talks about Tom on his podcast relatively often. 

Also he was working backstage for Tom's whole WWF run including when Tom ran developmental.

Did you hear the story of how the angle with Jimmy Del Ray replacing Stan Lane in the Heavenly Bodies inadvertently led to Jim Cornette's WWE run? They were pretending Del Ray was a cousin to the Pritchards, so they brought their dad in to endorse him in a promo. But before that, they phoned Bruce and asked him if he wanted a tape of the promo. He said yes, so when they filmed it, they kept going after the TV portion was done, as a rib. They asked Daddy Pritchard if he had any other family members in the Wrestling business, besides Tom and Del Ray. And he said his other son Bruce had an office job in New York and was a miserable pissant bastard. 

Then they sent the tape to Bruce, and he unknowlingly watched it while Vince was in the room. And that's why Vince hired Cornette.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

14 hours ago, Infinit said:

That match was on the WWE Road Warriors DVD.

It's also online and was a nice little five-minute sprint where Bobby Eaton sold a beating and then fired up like an all-star, white-meat babyface before eating a clothesline and getting pinned. 

In other words, it was perfectly enjoyable!

On 1/14/2019 at 5:08 AM, MORELOCK said:

Bruce talks about Tom on his podcast relatively often. 

Also he was working backstage for Tom's whole WWF run including when Tom ran developmental.

He also sells Tom's shirts in his Pro Wrestling Tees store.

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:06 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm pretty sure Jack Tunney put the kibosh on it because of Savage's interference. If Savage were smart, he would have had Sherri offering herself up to Tunney for the title shot.

Elizabeth was definitely the brains between her and Savage. Savage and Sherri were too much of a Sid & Nancy type couple.

Bumping this up for another 91 Rumble question.

Savage was scheduled to be in the Rumble, but when his number was called, he didn't appear, and the Rumble went ahead with 29 entrants.

Was this always the plan? Maybe it's me, but it would have been a lot more interesting to have Savage walk out the curtain, only to have Warrior attack him for costing him the belt.

You gotta frame-by-frame it but for a split second you DO see Savage come out then he suddenly vanishes.  And the announcers completely miss it.  I THINK what you suggested was the plan (Warrior attacking Savage before he got to the ring) but the timing was so awful, it looks like they might have just given up on it.

20 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

You gotta frame-by-frame it but for a split second you DO see Savage come out then he suddenly vanishes.  And the announcers completely miss it.  I THINK what you suggested was the plan (Warrior attacking Savage before he got to the ring) but the timing was so awful, it looks like they might have just given up on it.

That's actually Animal, who was #19 and almost entered one entry too early until I'm assuming whoever was running Gorilla freaked out and stopped him.

On 1/21/2019 at 7:18 PM, Vgmastr said:

That's actually Animal, who was #19 and almost entered one entry too early until I'm assuming whoever was running Gorilla freaked out and stopped him.

Oh my God, you are right.  That is some Mandela effect shit of the highest level.  I remember watching that show as a kid live and thinking that was Savage getting yanked back by Warrior the whole time.  And I was thinking how smart little kid me was for picking up on something the announcers missed.  

• 3 weeks later...

This is the most recently bumped up general questions thread so I figured I would dump this here.

Where might I find those old 5MYNTSB threads from the green board? 5 Matches You Need To See By [insert good wrestler short on good matches or good footage]. Tracey Smothers, Brad Armstrong, Terry Funk were cool choices I remember.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...