DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

On 12/27/2018 at 6:18 PM, Captain Kronos said:

What the hell was Vince thinking with the fake Bill Clinton at Survivor Series ‘95? 

It’s not funny at all. And every segment feels endless. 

That seems like a great premise for a gameshow sketch on the Edge & Christian show.

What the Hell was Vince Thinking?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, AxB said:

Do you think he's forgotten that he actually did that angle, with Paul Burchill & Katie Lea?

GOD DAMMIT PAL IT DOESN'T COUNT UNLESS IT'S ME AND STEPHANIE

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

While we're on the subject, both blood relatives and storyline relatives:

http://whatculture.com/wwe/5-wwe-incest-angles-wed-rather-forget?page=5

I love that first story.  Steph shoots down Vince's idea where he fucks and impregnates her and his reaction is, "okay, well what if it was Shane, then?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On ‎12‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:47 AM, Technico Support said:

GOD DAMMIT PAL IT DOESN'T COUNT UNLESS IT'S ME AND STEPHANIE

I love that first story.  Steph shoots down Vince's idea where he fucks and impregnates her and his reaction is, "okay, well what if it was Shane, then?"

Vince fucking and impregnating Shane would've been a lot more interesting direction. He had already been involuntarily forced to join the "Kiss My Ass" club by DX.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Vince fucking and impregnating Shane would've been a lot more interesting direction. He had already been involuntarily forced to join the "Kiss My Ass" club by DX.

All this time Vince would have been passing Shane off as a male because he was ashamed his first born was actually female. Sort of a reverse Sleepaway Camp ending.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A couple of years ago, I asked who the first wrestler to tape his fists outside of gimmick matches was and speculated that it might have been Abdullah the Butcher or Terry Funk. After looking into it further, I think it might have actually been Stan Stasiak, as a gimmick to get over his heart punch.

I’ve been watching a Road to Mania III comp, and it includes the late ‘86 Andre suspension angle - during which Andre wrestles under a mask as Japanese wrestler Giant Machine. Heenan is brilliant throughout, as he works himself into fits in response to everyone’s gaslighting him. 

But my question: Did I miss it, or was Andre never unmasked? This comp goes from a fun 6-man tag (Machines vs Bundy/Studd/Heenan) to Andre’s having been reinstated. (Or as the British interviewer says, “the suspension was suspended.”)

What gives?

On 12/27/2018 at 3:18 PM, Captain Kronos said:

What the hell was Vince thinking with the fake Bill Clinton at Survivor Series ‘95? 

It’s not funny at all. And every segment feels endless. 

I did an event with him in the mid '00s. He was a nice guy.

53 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

I’ve been watching a Road to Mania III comp, and it includes the late ‘86 Andre suspension angle - during which Andre wrestles under a mask as Japanese wrestler Giant Machine. Heenan is brilliant throughout, as he works himself into fits in response to everyone’s gaslighting him. 

But my question: Did I miss it, or was Andre never unmasked? This comp goes from a fun 6-man tag (Machines vs Bundy/Studd/Heenan) to Andre’s having been reinstated. (Or as the British interviewer says, “the suspension was suspended.”)

What gives?

The angle bombed and was quietly dropped.  Plus Andre was practically immobile and rarely wrestled during this time (that six man actually never happened, that match was most likely Big/Super Machine & Albano  w/Andre at ringside vs. Studd/Bundy/Heenan from Toronto.)  Andre only wrestled twice on TV as Giant Machine and he looked awful.  They ended up using "joke" Machines to cover for him by the end (Hulk Machine, Piper Machine, Animal Machine)

• Like 1

Now that you mention it, during that six man tag there were three guys with matching masks, as well as Albano. Andre only came in for about 20 seconds to clear the ring.

I am not surprised that the angle bombed. Apart from Bobby Heenan being so amazing, the interview segments with the “Japanese” wrestlers are painful to watch. And the aftermath is basically Ventura running around in a horrible hairpiece, saying he knows why the reinstatement happened but he won’t tell anyone.

ETA: Later, we find out the reinstatement happened as part of Heenan's plan to turn Andre against Hogan --leading to a terrific angle. It just took a looonnnngggggg time getting there. 

I always loved Giant Machine being included as an alternate outfit for Andre in Fire Pro and the VPW games. Badass monster look in the VPWs and Fire Pro was always fun to find various other guys with Machine masks as alternate outfits and running 8 mans.

• Like 1

Because I wondered how the Machine gimmick originated, from Wiki: 

Hirata made his debut in New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW) on August 26, 1978, against Yoshiaki Fujiwara. In November 1982, he left on an overseas training expedition to Mexico, and later Canada, where in Stu Hart's Stampede Wrestling he would create the famous Super Strong Machine persona, as well as use a First Nations gimmick as Sonny Two Rivers. In April 1986, he left NJPW with Riki Choshu for rival wrestling promotion, All Japan Pro Wrestling (AJPW). In June 1987, he returned to NJPW and would soon capture the IWGP Tag Team Championship on three separate occasions with George Takano, Hiro Saito, and Shinya Hashimoto as his tag team partners.

In the fall of 1986, the World Wrestling Federation introduced a stable of wrestlers called The Machines -- "The Giant Machine" (André the Giant), "Big Machine" (Blackjack Mulligan), and "Super Machine" (Bill Eadie) -- based on Junji Hirata's popular Super Strong Machine gimmick.[3] In 1984, Hirata had tried to make his own "Machines" stable with Korean wrestler Yang Seung-hi and veteran Yasu Fuji as Strong Machine #2 and Strong Machine #3 respectively, but this version of the stable did not have the exposure or push of their American counterparts.[4] Hirata briefly turned face and became "Super" Strong Machine, feuding with his former partners. When Hirata left for Japan Pro, Fuji retired and Yang went back to South Korea.

• Like 1

So, I’m watching various Rumbles with a friend of mine leading up to this years edition, and we finished ‘91. Neither of us could remember why Savage attacked Warrior and had him lose the title. They weren’t feuding and Savage sure as shit wasn’t an Iraqi sympathizer. So what gives? 

12 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

So, I’m watching various Rumbles with a friend of mine leading up to this years edition, and we finished ‘91. Neither of us could remember why Savage attacked Warrior and had him lose the title. They weren’t feuding and Savage sure as shit wasn’t an Iraqi sympathizer. So what gives? 

Earlier in the show, Sherri asked Warrior (rather seductively) to guarantee Randy gets the next title shot. Warrior refused. Savage got pissed.

I can't remember if Slaughter promised the title shot or not.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Oh, right. How could I forget that Sherri/Warrior promo? Thanks. 

I remember my mother was not happy when she walked in the room and saw 10 year old me watching that scene. I think that may have been the moment I realized Sherri was fucking hot and did something funny to my pants.

• Haha 6

50 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I remember my mother was not happy when she walked in the room and saw 10 year me watching that scene. I think that may have been the moment I realized Sherri was fucking hot and did something funny to my pants.

At least she didn’t catch you with an issue of Glamour.

• Like 5

On 1/4/2019 at 1:19 AM, The Green Meanie said:

He did promise Savage one.

On 1/4/2019 at 1:38 AM, Brian Fowler said:

Did Savage ever get the match?

I'm pretty sure Jack Tunney put the kibosh on it because of Savage's interference. If Savage were smart, he would have had Sherri offering herself up to Tunney for the title shot.

Elizabeth was definitely the brains between her and Savage. Savage and Sherri were too much of a Sid & Nancy type couple.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Did Savage ever get the match?

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm pretty sure Jack Tunney put the kibosh on it because of Savage's interference. If Savage were smart, he would have had Sherri offering herself up to Tunney for that title shot.

Elizabeth was definitely the brains between her and Savage. Savage and Sherri were too much of a Sid & Nancy type couple.

Yeah, as far as I remember Savage didn't. Hulk soon won the belt back at WM.