DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Isn't that where the Savage/Steph rumors started? Vince was on the verge of bringing Randy back, and then suddenly reversed course and would never even let it be discussed again?

25 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Isn't that where the Savage/Steph rumors started? Vince was on the verge of bringing Randy back, and then suddenly reversed course and would never even let it be discussed again?

I feel like Pritchard discussed this recently.

Bad blood over the negotiations in 1996 as Savage had given his word to commit, got Vince to agree to several things and then backed out at last minute. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Legitimately, the first and only time I heard this was in the sleaze thread on the old green board. From one obtuse reply has sprung this fucking massive rumour that will not die. People wanted a reason why Savage was ignored for so long so they grasped onto that, it's bizarre

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I feel like Pritchard discussed this recently.

Bad blood over the negotiations in 1996 as Savage had given his word to commit, got Vince to agree to several things and then backed out at last minute. 

You would think after all the times that VKM said specifically, "I can't do business with that man!" people would realize that it had nothing to do with Steph. A man upset about someone having their way with his daughter isn't going to say "I can't do business with that man!", stronger language would at the very least be used. In the case of a multi-millionaire, I suspect that the target of their ire would be Bob Crane'd in a cheap motel room.

And nearly brought him back in 96.

I'm not one to jump on the conspiracy theory train, but something happened or was discovered in late 96 that completely changed Vince's feelings on Randy.

• 4 weeks later...

Who was the best guy at being a relatively decent threat, while putting the opponents over like a million bucks?

I'm thinking Bobby Eaton myself. Never had that big singles push, but you throw him into anything (singles, tags, 6 men, etcetera), and if he couldn't get the opponent over, no one could. 

• 3 months later...

I hadn't really dipped my toe too much into this area of NWA stuff until lately so I don't know if this is a dumb question, but Jimmy Valiant's valet, Big Mama -- is she black? 

Also, kind-of-but-not-really related -- The Boogie Woogie Man as a gimmick generally -- it seems like just a riff on what Dusty was already doing but slightly more unhinged? Is that way off base? 

On 12/15/2018 at 2:33 AM, The Idiot King said:

I hadn't really dipped my toe too much into this area of NWA stuff until lately so I don't know if this is a dumb question, but Jimmy Valiant's valet, Big Mama -- is she black? 

Also, kind-of-but-not-really related -- The Boogie Woogie Man as a gimmick generally -- it seems like just a riff on what Dusty was already doing but slightly more unhinged? Is that way off base? 

I don't think you're wrong with the Dusty comparison for TBWM gimmick. Quite a few people did the "jive" interview style back then. I think it was first popularized by Dusty and Thunderbolt Patterson. Gary Hart talked about it in his book as well. He said that he started incorporating it into his interviews when he was feuding with Dusty in Florida.

And Big Mama is white. She did a shoot interview a while back.

On 8/21/2018 at 3:58 AM, SirFozzie said:

Who was the best guy at being a relatively decent threat, while putting the opponents over like a million bucks?

I'm thinking Bobby Eaton myself. Never had that big singles push, but you throw him into anything (singles, tags, 6 men, etcetera), and if he couldn't get the opponent over, no one could. 

Hmmm, good question. I think Brad Armstrong is up there. Not flashy but no matter what, he was gonna get a watchable match out of whoever he was put in there with.

• Like 1

Watching Feb ‘99 St Valentines Day Massacre. 

1. What ever happened to D’Lo? Just lost in the shuffle, post Invasion?

2. When did Jarrett cut his hair and change his look? I’m guessing late ‘98. Did he make a big deal about it? 

3. Was Ryan legit Shamrock’s sister, or just some hot chick they brought in for the angle? 

15 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

Watching Feb ‘99 St Valentines Day Massacre. 

1. What ever happened to D’Lo? Just lost in the shuffle, post Invasion?

2. When did Jarrett cut his hair and change his look? I’m guessing late ‘98. Did he make a big deal about it? 

3. Was Ryan legit Shamrock’s sister, or just some hot chick they brought in for the angle? 

I always assumed the Droz injury was basically the end of any D'Lo push. I also remember reading a rumor that D'Lo was heard bragging about going to WCW and getting a big push from Russo because he thought his contract was up in late '99, but I think he had another year left on his contract.

Jarrett lost a hair vs. hair match against X-Pac @ Summerslam '98.

Ryan Shamrock was not Ken's sister. They ended up dating at one point. She also ended up in WCW as Symphony, the Maestro's valet. Unfortunately, it wasn't this Maestro:

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I always assumed the Droz injury was basically the end of any D'Lo push. I also remember reading a rumor that D'Lo was heard bragging about going to WCW and getting a big push from Russo because he thought his contract was up in late '99, but I think he had another year left on his contract.

Jarrett lost a hair vs. hair match against X-Pac @ Summerslam '98.

Ryan Shamrock was not Ken's sister. They ended up dating at one point. She also ended up in WCW as Symphony, the Maestro's valet. Unfortunately, it wasn't this Maestro:

Interesting. I was not aware of the Droz injury. From Droz wiki:

• Because the match was pre-taped, it was not aired to fans during the October 7 [Smackdown] broadcast and has never been shown to the public. However, the footage of him being taken out on a stretcher has been seen in WWE's "Don't Try This at Home" public service announcements.
  • Fellow wrestler Mick Foley recounts in his 2001 book Foley Is Good: And the Real World Is Faker than Wrestling, that he was at the hospital with D'Lo Brown after the match. Brown was extremely upset at what had happened. Foley tells how Droz (on a stretcher) told Brown not to blame himself and that it was an accident.
  • In a 2014 interview with Jim Ross for FOX Sports, Droz said that he still believed that the incident was an accident and holds no animosity towards Brown for his injury.

Re Jarrett: I guess a hair-vs-hair match qualifies as making a big deal about it. ?

Ryan Shamrock also had a brief TNA run, that went nowhere and she vanished without the story ever developing.

On episode of Something to Wrestle With, Bruce said she was a friend of a friend of his.

• Like 1