DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

Reason #5983 why Gordon Solie remains the high watermark of prowrestling broadcasters. What a quote!

God damn, I loved Solie. When he was on, he was THE best. I know J.R. gets a lot of praise and, yes, he was great in his prime. However, Gordon brought a gravitas and story telling that took it to a new level.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ramsey said:

God damn, I loved Solie. When he was on, he was THE best. I know J.R. gets a lot of praise and, yes, he was great in his prime. However, Gordon brought a gravitas and story telling that took it to a new level.

JR at his best called it like a major sporting event, Gordon at his best called it like it was the ultimate struggle of good versus evil. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

On Facebook, Gary Michael Capetta posted what looks to be a legit contract offer from VKM to Jim Hellwig dated December 17, 1997. I've never even heard a rumor of Warrior coming back at that time. Not sure how he would've fit in during that point in time. Thoughts?

I remember that being discussed when Warrior passed away. His promos in WCW were awful, but during his short comeback to WWF prior to that he had been doing much more concise talking and worked a little blue, so he would’ve probably fit in okay. It would’ve probably involved a lot of Ministry of Darkness/Kane type of silly booking for sure. Savage and Hogan also had brief talks with Vince in 97-98 if I’m not mistaken. It would’ve been really interesting to see any of them in that environment. 

1 hour ago, (BP) said:

Savage and Hogan also had brief talks with Vince in 97-98 if I’m not mistaken.

Am I misremembering, or was Savage heavily rumored to be the surprise partner in The Rock’s debut match at Survivor Series the year prior, but it became Snuka instead?

44 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Am I misremembering, or was Savage heavily rumored to be the surprise partner in The Rock’s debut match at Survivor Series the year prior, but it became Snuka instead?

I can’t remember, and I tried to google it using very specific keywords and still got nothing but dozens of stories about Stephanie. 

It seems like Savage and Hogan just put feelers out whenever their WCW contracts were about to expire to ensure they got a good new deal with Bischoff. 

Regarding Warrior, that offer seems like a huge fuck you to Bret after Vince had just cried poor to get out of their contract. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, (BP) said:

I can’t remember, and I tried to google it using very specific keywords and still got nothing but dozens of stories about Stephanie. 

It seems like Savage and Hogan just put feelers out whenever their WCW contracts were about to expire to ensure they got a good new deal with Bischoff. 

Regarding Warrior, that offer seems like a huge fuck you to Bret after Vince had just cried poor to get out of their contract. 

All sadly true.

31 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

with the Warrior in blackface

That actually would not have surprised me.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Savage left WCW after Halloween Havoc 96, so I definitely remember the feeling that if Savage WAS coming back, that would have been the perfect place to do it.  But then we got Snuka instead and Savage went back to WCW in January 97.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Why did Savage never get his title shot for helping Slaughter beat the Warrior?

Seems strange they never ran a Slaughter-Savage match on TV with Warrior costing Savage the match to set up Mania?

The only I can think is not wanting to run a heel vs. heel match in 1991. I guess Savage would have been the face by default for not being the pro-Iraqi heel.

Savage probably wanted to rid WWF of the Warrior before attempting to go after the title again. If things went according to his likely plan, he beats Warrior in the retirement match at Mania, then goes on to beat Sarge or Hogan for the title at the following SummerSlam. Unfortunately, he had the power of the Warrior unleashed upon him at Mania and he lost, then he went soft when he was reunited with Elizabeth.

On 7/23/2018 at 11:47 PM, sydneybrown said:

Savage left WCW after Halloween Havoc 96, so I definitely remember the feeling that if Savage WAS coming back, that would have been the perfect place to do it.  But then we got Snuka instead and Savage went back to WCW in January 97.

Now I'm just wishing we had seen face Savage vs. heel Austin at IYH:It's Time in December 1996. Or, heel Savage vs. face Austin at Summerslam 1997.

• Like 4

I want to say there was some kind of Savage/Slaughter lockerroom interview where Mean Gene relayed word from Tunney that Slaughter doesn't get to pick his challengers and Savage would not be getting a title match and everybody freaked out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Someone with a better idea of the steroid trial timeline...

Did the WWF potentially hold off firing the British Bulldog until after Summerslam 92 given the sizable investment in the show or just a lucky coincidence that he pisses hot only a few months later?

I don't think he pissed hot, somehow the company found out that he and Warrior were getting Steroids (or HGH) shipped from France so they had to get rid of them both.

It really hurt the WWF's popularity in the UK to have Bulldog gone so soon after his title win. They did a tour in spring 93 which was just terrible, running with half the crew that was already massively depleted from only 6 months  or so previously.

s-l640.jpg

• Like 1