DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Nice find! That's not the segment I originally meant, which was a generic question about implants and safety, etc. He specifically did not mention who he was describing. 

But this description he uses here about Jillian is spot on from my segment. 

Watching 2/1/93 RAW, and Bruti Beefcake  is telling the story of his injuries and sadness - getting his face crushed by a parasailer, burying his parents around the same time, Hogan pulling him back from his despair. (and maybe even saving his life at the accident), etc.

Is there any truth to any of this? If his face got crunched, couldn't it have as easily been a drunk driving crash? 

The parasailing accident absolutely happened.  July 4, 1990.  I remember it being a big deal in the Apter mags. Pretty sure Brian Blair was a witness too (and he wasn't in the WWF at the time, so it would be a weird name to throw in there if the story was made up.) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Yeah, here’s a short video WWE did about it...

Terrific video. Gotta give the guy major props - if I had my face smashed in, I would be terrified of getting hurt in something as physical as rasslin. 

I am a little unclear about the timeframe, though. 2/19/93 is his big return - there's a clip in this video. He talks about doing the Barbershop to keep from having wrestle. Then it suggests that he interviewed Andre on the Barbershop, among others. But by this episode (or within the next weeks, Andre was dead). 

Weird. 

23 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

Terrific video. Gotta give the guy major props - if I had my face smashed in, I would be terrified of getting hurt in something as physical as rasslin. 

I am a little unclear about the timeframe, though. 2/19/93 is his big return - there's a clip in this video. He talks about doing the Barbershop to keep from having wrestle. Then it suggests that he interviewed Andre on the Barbershop, among others. But by this episode (or within the next weeks, Andre was dead). 

Weird. 

The Barbershop was around in ‘91 and ‘92. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Captain Kronos said:

Weird. 

The Barber Shop was in late 91-92. The Raw interview skips over that and when Beefcake was doing run-in's under a mask. He saved Greg Valentine from a double-team attack from Earthquake and Dino Bravo. I believe he also did a run-in during a Rick Martel match.

• Like 1

He's lucky to be alive after that accident. When you see the condition his face was in, it makes the guy yelling "kill yourself" during the Raw interview a lot less funny. It was fucked up regardless, as Beefcake was also talking about his wife leaving him and his parents dying.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Had never heard that folks thought it was a work. But I was reading the Observer by the time it happened so didnt read about in the mags.

I didn't think it was a work, necessarily. I was just watching the comeback interview, and I got curious how much might have been exaggerated or embellished - especially when he started talking about Hogan. 

And then I started to wonder about the whole thing. 

There was never a storyline or any kind of kayfabe injury to initially explain Beefcake's absence. It was always said to be a parasailing accident. I'm almost positive there was a WWF magazine article about it, which is pretty surprising for the time, as WWF magazine was 100% kayfabe.

• Like 1

I well recall the articles in WON and some horrific pictures from I don't recall where... The dude is lucky to be alive, a couple of inches either way and his skull would've been crushed. I've never been a fan going back to his days as Dizzy Hogan in Portland, but asshats that yell "Kill yourself!" at anyone need to be thrown under a bus and run over repeatedly, there's just no excuse for that, even if they were an ECW mutant.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, OSJ said:

asshats that yell "Kill yourself!" at anyone need to be thrown under a bus and run over repeatedly, there's just no excuse for that, even if they were an ECW mutant.

What if it's someone with a reputation like Alberto Del Rio and what came out about him during his relationship with Paige?

Surely, it must be ok to yell "Kill yourself" at Invader II. Yes, no, maybe?

or people that are/have been open Nazi supporters, like the Harris Brothers? 

Where does the line get drawn?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

What if it's someone with a reputation like Alberto Del Rio and what came out about him during his relationship with Paige?

Surely, it must be ok to yell "Kill yourself" at Invader II. Yes, no, maybe?

or people that are/have been open Nazi supporters, like the Harris Brothers? 

Where does the line get drawn?

Much better to throw knives at Invader instead of just yelling at him.

• Like 1