DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

Friends, something was bugging me this weekend.

Conventional pro-wrestling narrative, via the WWE's Ultimate Warrior burial DVD and Hulk Hogan's comments, state that Hogan was stealing Warrior's limelight and tarnishing his run from the get go by handing him the title and doing this:

2a675-hoganwarrior.jpg

YET, the more gregarious sponging of the moment/anointing by Hogan was definitely here when you view the two side by side:

wm-4.4-1490691820-800.jpg

See? Even Savage was shrugging his shoulders like "WTF Terry, tone it down a bit!"

Was the 'selfish Hogan' narrative just being used as an excuse for why Warrior's title run didn't exactly work? Would we be saying the same thing if Savage's reign hadn't worked? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Given his grudge over Black Saturday (& his subsequent burial.of Vince and Linda), I wouldn't think so. 

Well that and the fact that he told Linda to go fuck herself when she and Vince met with him to discuss the sale of GCW.

• Like 1

Ole (and his family) could’ve made a decent bit of coin in the long run, had he not been so mental and “old school”. I guess it worked out well for them all, right?

Oh wait...

(no, that’s not a dig at his health)

47 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:

Ole (and his family) could’ve made a decent bit of coin in the long run, had he not been so mental and “old school”. I guess it worked out well for them all, right?

Oh wait...

(no, that’s not a dig at his health)

Ole apparently was really well off when he retired. He was one of those guys who never spent anything and saved all of his money. I'm sure all of the medical stuff he's been going through in recent years has taken a toll but I've heard he was a millionaire when he retired.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2018 at 8:36 AM, The Natural said:

Sasha Banks wears glasses outside the ring. When she wrestles, does she wear contacts or can see enough without them? Thanks.

Thinking about that reminds me of Stan Hanson. Hanson could barely see so made sure the stiffness and not the light in hard hitting puroresu.

Arn was pretty blind without his glasses. He said he wrestled by touch.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone always mentions how ridiculous it was that Steamboat/Dragon, Atlas/Saba Simba, Tito/El Matador weren't to be treated as the same person - but hte worst was probably Col Mustafa/Iron Sheik. 

Former WWF champion and he's now from a different country? Why wouldn't you put over that Slaughter had a former WWF champion in his corner?

8 years removed from winning the title, even less from being a tag champion. That's like Jack Swagger coming back with a Sammy Hager gimmick and pretending to be someone else.

It was dumb, but I would guess Vince's reasoning had something to do with Sheik's previous arrest and his time as a JTTS in NWA/WCW. He was obviously loyal to guys from that initial expansion era, but he also didn't think much of them as far as having long term legacies. They were just good hands he could repackage to serve whatever his current need was. 

He's actually in the new season of Lucha Underground that starts next week and I heard whatever he does is pretty goddamned awesome.

Hopefully it rises his stock.  I always thought he was entertaining as fuck and by all accounts he's a super good dude too.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Count me in on Swagger. I thought he was pretty decent in his WWE run. 

I wish Swagger had gotten further as a face. These had to be the loudest reactions he's ever gotten.

• Like 1

Bill Watts' UWF only really lasted a year until it was bought by JCP.  From what I remember, a lot was blamed on an oil crisis in the area that meant people had little to no money to spend on wrestling/leisure in general.

My question is...how dead in the water was Mid-South/UWF in 1986 when they decided to try to position themselves to go national? Was there ever a feasible chance that they could become competitive on a national scale or was it always doomed to failure?

On 6/9/2018 at 1:36 PM, Liam said:

Bill Watts' UWF only really lasted a year until it was bought by JCP.  From what I remember, a lot was blamed on an oil crisis in the area that meant people had little to no money to spend on wrestling/leisure in general.

My question is...how dead in the water was Mid-South/UWF in 1986 when they decided to try to position themselves to go national? Was there ever a feasible chance that they could become competitive on a national scale or was it always doomed to failure?

The oil crisis excuse is pure BS from Watts, the syndication network they had cost them a ton of money and they were never able to make it up at the box office. They also burned out their home area with all of the hot shoting and having stars on Japan tours 16 weeks a year hurt too. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, happjack said:

The oil crisis excuse is pure BS from Watts, the syndication network they had cost them a ton of money and they were never able to make it up at the box office. They also burned out their home area with all of the hot shoting and having stars on Japan tours 16 weeks a year hurt too. 

As far as it affecting the UWF, that is stretching it a bit far, but I know for sure the hit that Texas took in the mid-80's was a legit problem down here.

• Like 1