DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

On 4/13/2018 at 9:19 AM, CreativeControl said:

So we've talked about the venue change for Wrestlemania VII before, but how come Hogan and Slaughter didn't work their Desert Storm gimmick match in the main event and saved it for house shows afterward?

Most likely because they didn't really need it at that point in the feud. No reason to waste a gimmick match if the two never met in the ring at that point. 

The Desert Storm match was really just something to keep the interest in the house show market at that point. Right after WMVII, looks like they were doing Slaughter winning by DQ in a lot of the normal stops, and some of the Desert Storm matches were actually the second stops on some of these towns after WMVII. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, EricG said:

Most likely because they didn't really need it at that point in the feud. No reason to waste a gimmick match if the two never met in the ring at that point. 

The Desert Storm match was really just something to keep the interest in the house show market at that point. Right after WMVII, looks like they were doing Slaughter winning by DQ in a lot of the normal stops, and some of the Desert Storm matches were actually the second stops on some of these towns after WMVII. 

I remember they were still running hogan-slaughter in August of 91. I'l never forget my first live WWF show was in Landover, MD and the main was Hogan-Slaughter with Savage as ref.

They showed clips of this match on the Andre doc. Why was Friday (proto-Kim Chee) reffing? During the ring announcements they said that he was replacing the "ailing Freddie Blassie", who was Sheik's manager at the time. Was the angle that Andre could beat Sheik even with his own manager reffing?

I’m assuming that’s 1984 since Andre doesn’t have the haircut yet - Blassie was doing some refereeing of Sheik’s bouts at house shows; there was an IC title match against Santana in Philly with that gimmick.

On 4/14/2018 at 9:22 PM, Sasha said:

Something I just realized. Was there anything more WCW than the fact that they had a pay-per-view named after a season in Fall Brawl, but it never actually occurred in fall? It was always the waning days of summer.

September is definitely in the fall season in the South. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RolandTHTG said:

Did we ever get a Sting/Steamboat match?

Or any real Savage/Hogan interaction on TV post WM 7? I remember Savage making the save on the Funeral Parlour and that was it?

Well, Hogan had that "jet ski" accident before WM9 but that was off-camera.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

Did we ever get a Sting/Steamboat match?

Sadly, no. All I could find from Google were a bunch of tag matches. This one looks interesting, haven’t watched it yet though...

Sting/Steamboat vs Flair/Regal

Sasha Banks wears glasses outside the ring. When she wrestles, does she wear contacts or can see enough without them? Thanks.

Thinking about that reminds me of Stan Hanson. Hanson could barely see so made sure the stiffness and not the light in hard hitting puroresu.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Sasha Banks wears glasses outside the ring. When she wrestles, does she wear contacts or can see enough without them? Thanks.

Thinking about that reminds me of Stan Hanson. Hanson could barely see so made sure the stiffness and not the light in hard hitting puroresu.

You know, this actually explains a lot.

Becky Lynches may be closer than they appear:

w5o5hzf.gif

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Sadly, no. All I could find from Google were a bunch of tag matches. This one looks interesting, haven’t watched it yet though...

Sting/Steamboat vs Flair/Regal

Sting vs Regal feud in 1994 is what made me a huge fan of Regal. The moment Regal referred to Sting as "sunshine" still resonates woth me some 24 years later.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Liam said:

Did Roddy Piper quit WWF between WM2 and 3, or take time off for films, or something else? I've read a bit about it, but it doesn't seem very conclusive.

Thanks.

Took time off for film, specifically Body Slam.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When did the Bill Watts UWF go from showing UWF matches to just showing JCP footage?

I guess what I mean is when did they last show UWF content on their own show, considering by the end of 87 it looked like it was just an extension of JCP.

On 4/26/2018 at 6:10 AM, RolandTHTG said:

... any real Savage/Hogan interaction on TV post WM 7? I remember Savage making the save on the Funeral Parlour and that was it?

I remember Hulk, Randy and Beefcake had a workout vignette on a random Coliseum Video at that time...

On 5/7/2018 at 10:44 PM, The Great ML said:

I remember Hulk, Randy and Beefcake had a workout vignette on a random Coliseum Video at that time...

Savage was the special ref for some Hogan and Slaughter matches during the summer of 1991.

Also on March 29, 1992, Savage and Hogan faced Flair and Sid in Auburn Hills.  It was Piper and Hogan teaming together, but Piper didn't appear there that night.

If I was looking for Memphis TV match listings, where would my best shout be? Between the footage I have and the stuff on Youtube, it is getting difficult to work out what aired when and where.

Cheers.

MemphisHistoryWrestling.com.  But there's a catch, because they pulled all the results due to publishing them as a series of books.  Go to the Wayback Machine archives and THEN go the site circa 2011 or so.

It gives the results in poster and newspaper clippings form of all the Memphis Coliseum shows the TV was building to, so not quite the TV results, but the next best thing.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, sydneybrown said:

MemphisHistoryWrestling.com.  But there's a catch, because they pulled all the results due to publishing them as a series of books.  Go to the Wayback Machine archives and THEN go the site circa 2011 or so.

It gives the results in poster and newspaper clippings form of all the Memphis Coliseum shows the TV was building to, so not quite the TV results, but the next best thing.

Amazing. Cheers.

Was there ever a time where Ole Anderson to the WWF was ever considered a thing? 

I wish they'd have given him a humiliating gimmick in the early 90s, like pairing him with The Model as his mouthpiece, and instead of Arrogance, they used Oil Of Ole instead. Pretentious artiste Ole would have been tremendous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5