DVDVR Message Board

The Old School Questions thread

I'm glad it wasn't adhered to, it was fucking stupid.  Why even make the match?

Same with Hogan/Warrior being "title for title" - why would Hogan even want the IC title?  Why would they want someone to be double champion if they'd have to give up the belt?  Part of me always thought it was done that way to try and make people think they'd do some screwy draw or DQ/Countout finish.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

I'm glad it wasn't adhered to, it was fucking stupid.  Why even make the match?

Same with Hogan/Warrior being "title for title" - why would Hogan even want the IC title?  Why would they want someone to be double champion if they'd have to give up the belt?  Part of me always thought it was done that way to try and make people think they'd do some screwy draw or DQ/Countout finish.

Crown a new champ, transition the lesser belt(s) to another person(team) without having the former champ(s) drop the belt(s) to keep them strong.  In the case of the Warrior, it got the IC belt off him without having to drop it to Henning, keeping him strong heading into the Hogan match (Warrior having already traded the belt with Rude earlier notwithstanding).  No idea what the hell was the reasoning with Pedro/Backlund winning the tag belts since they went right back on the Samoans anyway. 

On 2/19/2018 at 12:48 AM, Shibata Is My Homie said:

How would Owen Hart's career have ended up if he never passed? 

I think he would have retired and never cam back because he was really just trying to make as much money as possible and get out to be with his family.  Plus his wife didn't want him wrestling anymore.  Seemed like the dude would have been one of the guys to just leave it in the past.  Maybe come back for a HOF or DVD thing.  

Should have been given a firefighter gimmick. In the attitude era he'd have been a sexy stripping firefighter, but refuse to because he was a heel which would get him cheered by the ECW lite fanbase who are afraid.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think they just scrapped the division and didn't have any plans for the title going forward. Her actual release was supposedly amicable and she was on fine terms with them until she threw out the belt on Nitro. 

I thought I remember reading somewhere that along with the eventual Alundra/Nitro ordeal, the two Joshi-style matches at Survivor Series and the following night a few weeks prior scared Vince off. 

I’m probably wrong. 

Before all of that, wasn’t Blayze/Kong supposed to happen at the ‘96 Rumble?

4 hours ago, (BP) said:

I think they just scrapped the division and didn't have any plans for the title going forward. Her actual release was supposedly amicable and she was on fine terms with them until she threw out the belt on Nitro. 

Exactly right! WCW released they had a golden opportunity to stick it to VKM and Blayze/Miceli went along with the idea as she had no intention of working for WWF again. She wasn't planning in being in WCW for the long haul either, she wanted to drive monster trucks (which she wound up doing, I seem to recall she was pretty good at it.  She's also released a CD of songs sung in Japanese and owns a doggy bakery in Florida named Kool Kats & Hot Dogs and also runs a pet spa. An interesting person to say the very least.

I think the Monster Truck thing came up later, after she was in WCW and they had a sponsored truck. She got a chance to drive it, fell in love, etc etc. 

Way she tells the story, Eric didn't exactly tell her that her getting the job depended on her bringing the belt, but she got enough of that impression that she agreed.

And, you have to remember, WWF wasn't doing real well in 95. Vince hadn't had the success he hoped for with the women's division (honestly, I'm not sure anyone other than Madusa was even under contract) so he decided to drop it, let her know, and didn't really think about what she might do with the belt.

Feel like this was addressed on the JBL interview.

Can't remember the circumstances, but from what I recall, she ended up practically homeless after her divorce, Vince gave her a huge loan, and then she fucked him over on something minor. It was a really awkward part in the interview where she doesn't bat an eyelid over talking about this guy who saved her from living on the streets, gave her six figures, something happened, so she stuck it to him by turning up on Nitro. She seems completely nuts.

• Like 1

At the time did they ever explain any of the background of the Survivor Series 95 match or was "Bertha and Blaze found a couple of random women to team with" the extent of it?  I barely remember it being advertised and having no idea who any of the other women were.

1 hour ago, HumanChessgame said:

At the time did they ever explain any of the background of the Survivor Series 95 match or was "Bertha and Blaze found a couple of random women to team with" the extent of it?  I barely remember it being advertised and having no idea who any of the other women were.

They were going to do a talent exchange and, like I mentioned a few posts ago, Kong/Blayze was gonna be featured at the ‘96 Rumble. But the stiffness of the Japanese women and Alundra being a shit head ruined it. Which is why they canned a women’s division until Sable came into prominence. 

"Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal came in around May, joined Garven and Precious, won the NWA Jr strap from Denny brown like right before or 1st week of The Bash and then dropped it right after the Bash (like same week they announced RnR regaining the tag straps from the MX). It was a quick run and Regal's WWF run wasn't that long either as I recall. Like he was headlining Windy City shows by the next summer I think

James

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CreativeControl said:

So we've talked about the venue change for Wrestlemania VII before, but how come Hogan and Slaughter didn't work their Desert Storm gimmick match in the main event and saved it for house shows afterward?

I would guess they didn't believe in doing gimmick matches for the main event then. Later, they resisted the idea of multi man matches on top until 2000, so I'm thinking there was some notion of the "integrity" of what a WM main event should be.

It's probably for the best. If they had venue problems already, Hogan cutting those promos about the Iraqis rigging the kids seats with chemical weapons wasn't going to help. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

Something I just realized. Was there anything more WCW than the fact that they had a pay-per-view named after a season in Fall Brawl, but it never actually occurred in fall? It was always the waning days of summer.